PDA

View Full Version : Open Contract

stephens3350
03-25-09, 01:42 AM
I am now officially signed up for the Marines, sworn in and signed a DEP open contract. Now I'm curious about whether or not open contract means that I fill the needs of the Corps or I get to choose my occ.fld. I want to go into intelligence because that seems like something that I would like to do, even though it is a lot of paperwork. I scored a 93 on ASVAB and am taking the DLAB sometime soon. I ship out Oct. 5 as of now. Does your occ.fld. depend on your current gpa and ASVAB or just your ASVAB? And does open contract mean I dont get to choose my occ.fld?

Achped
03-25-09, 01:55 AM
99% of the time I have seen a recruiter send someone to meps to DEP in as open contract and then they got their MOS later

srinaldo86
03-25-09, 01:59 AM
I signed up open contract originally with my recruiter knowing i wanted MP 5811 and as soon as he could he got my paperwork setup for the 5800 field and thanks to the needs of the Marine Corps I got 5811.

SS109
03-25-09, 09:22 AM
Oh **** Rinaldo, you're back... Welcome back.

You choose your MOS at the RSS

JWDevilDog
03-25-09, 11:15 AM
It has nothing to do with your GPA.

Yes, Open Contract is based on the needs of the Marine Corps. They other Marines are correct that you pick your MOS later. I was also Open Contract for about a week or so, after I DEPed in.

If you really want Intel, make sure your recruiter knows that. Ask him (respectfully, of course) if he is doing everything in his power to get you into intel. A recruiter's job is, first to get poolees, and second to serve his poolees. So make sure that if you don't get your first choice (a number of reasons why you might not), then at least get something you would be interested in.

jungholee90
03-25-09, 04:52 PM
Now make sure when you go back to MEPS to actually ship out to Recruit Training that you sign the papers for getting out of Open Contract and then going in as the MOS you chose with your recruiter. MEPS liaison will tell you to read the contract over and over to make sure it really is what you chose.