PDA

View Full Version : 3521?

User Name
03-24-09, 05:27 PM
Hey, I'm looking at signing for 3521 Automotive Organizational Mechanic. I'll be in the reserves so I'll be signing for that exact MOS. So I was wondering if anyone had any insight for me, or if they would steer me away from that MOS. I'm kinda wondering why the word "Organizational" is thrown in there. What all would I work on?

Thanks in advance, you guys are great!

03-24-09, 06:26 PM
SSgt Petzold will have your answer.

User Name
03-25-09, 12:26 AM
Thank you sir.

03-25-09, 02:44 AM
First, don't call me, "sir," I work for my living (it's an 'enlisted thing')! Next, until SSgt Petzold checks in, all I can tell you is how things worked 30 years ago, but I doubt if things have changed that much when it comes to what you're asking about. There are different levels of maintenance/repair, when it comes to autos & trucks, at least. A 3521, 'Organizational' mech, works on vehicles at the organizational level, which means you'll be the next echelon up from the operators (drivers). The drivers are responsible for checking fluids, battery connections, etc., driver stuff. 3521s are responsible for regular PMs (Preventive Maintenance) and anomalies that drivers bring their vehicles in to be checked out for ("it's making a funny sound").If the problem is beyond the organizational level's scope, i.e.: engine, trans, clutch, etc. needs replaced, you'll send the vehicle on up to the next echelon of repair, and they'll change out the offending part. 3521s will do mostly PMs, and some diagnosing, that's about it. I can't speak to anything relating to reserves, I did my 3 and out active, that's why I deferred to the SSgt. Hope this answers some of your questions for now. BTW, 3522 is the next echelon of maintenance up from 3521.

TexasDvlDog
03-25-09, 12:03 PM
I was Motor-T. Started out as a 3521 then progressed to a 3529 as a SNCO. I have also been stationed at a couple Reserve Centers on I&I Duty. Where do you live? I can probably tell you what kind of shop you're going to.

Petz
03-25-09, 12:22 PM
I already know the place... it's the only 3rd shop in 4th FSSG... fort worth texas.

I think CWO McCoy is still there, Don't know about the other guys I deployed with though... most of which were in it just for the college.

TexasDvlDog
03-25-09, 01:35 PM
I already know the place... it's the only 3rd shop in 4th FSSG... fort worth texas.

I think CWO McCoy is still there, Don't know about the other guys I deployed with though... most of which were in it just for the college.

Ft Worth?? Are you kidding me SSgt? Where is the 3rd shop on NAS JRB? I was with MWSS 471 stationed in Ft Worth from 2000-2002. We used to share the building with 14th Marines. As far as I know we were the only units with Motor Transport on the base! The 3rd shop is in Abilene. Unless things have changed since 2002?? Even if what you say is true about a supposedly 3rd shop in Ft Worth..that is NOT THE ONLY 3rd shop in the 4th FSSG!! Can you imagine the logistical nightmare of trying to take care of the WHOLE 4th FSSG from ONE LOCATION?? Trust me. I was with MTM CO, 4th MAINT BN, 4TH FSSG in Sacramento CA. We took care of all Motor Transport assets from So California all the way up to Washington State and all the way east to the Rockies. There are also 3rd shops in Abilene TX, Waco TX, Augusta GA and I belive there is an ELMACO in Ohio somwhere.

I'm not sure where you got your info man.

Petz
03-25-09, 01:42 PM
DOH!!! yeah, right... I get them confused. um... foot in mouth.