PDA

View Full Version : Can I ever become a Marine ??

Jimmy
07-02-03, 06:03 PM
Hello.

My name is Jimmy, I am new here and registered about 1 hour ago. I am 17 years old and lives in Sweden.
Since I was 14 years old I have wanted to become a Marine.
But there are one thing I wonder about, and I wonder if you could help me clear the thing out?

I spoke to a friend, he told me that the US Marine Corps donīt like people from other country trying to join The Marine Corps, is this true ?

I wish you all a great day.
I hope that I someday can stand up tall and proud and be recognized as one of you.

Respectfully
Jimmy Malm

mrbsox
07-02-03, 06:19 PM
Do some browsing in this site.....

"Search for..." box in upper right hand of screen.
Read thru the "Marine Mentor" and "Poolee-Hall" forums.

Jimmy
07-02-03, 06:29 PM
Okey thanks, sorry for posting wrong.

Jimmy

Sgt Sostand
07-02-03, 07:25 PM
Jimmy if its in your Heart no one can stop you remember that

Jimmy
07-02-03, 07:36 PM
It really is in my heart, I would to anything to get the chance....

Thank you

Jimmy

Art Petersn
07-02-03, 07:45 PM
Jimmy I have a close friend from Toronto, Canada and he went through the Marine Corp in 1955. He is now a citizen of the United States.

Sixguns
07-02-03, 09:03 PM
Jimmy,

You will not be eligible for service unless you become a U.S. citizen or possess the proper immigration documents. The form is a permanent resident alien card or a naturalization certificate. You cannot join on a work or student visa. The obvious reason for this rule has to do with security matters and others.

SIXGUNS

usmc67
09-21-03, 09:15 PM
Jimmy,
I served with a number of Marines in Vietnam 67/68 that were Canadian, one we nick named Canadian. Also one guy who had come from Brittin, he was in the British Marines before joining the US Marines. Check out these two web sites, I am web master of each and severd with these Marine units, also while in Bravo, look for Wayne Bachinskys story, he came from Canada and served with us. Check out www.bravoartillery.org and then check out www.echo23marines6569.org

We also had an Austrailian Captain for a C/O at one time in Nam, you can read about him in Echo's web site.

Sierra Foxtrot,
Paul Marquis

JChristin
09-22-03, 12:43 AM
Jimmy,

You may want to visit the followin site:

http://www.usis.usemb.se/

This is the United States of American Embassy in Sweden. Here you can search for information how you can obtain a permanent resident alien card. Don't be shy about sending emails to officals at the embassy.

If you are serious, you can do anything you seek to do. It's all a matter of being willing to experience enough rejection along the way and remain standing until you arrive where you want to be. You may have to do a lot of footwork to get there - but then again, if you want to be the best - you gotta be the best.

Good luck.

Semper Fi,
jchristin

Sparrowhawk
09-22-03, 09:07 AM
actually he was from Finland.

He was not a US citizen at that time, but imes have changed.

He was a 17 year old Finland merchant Marine that stopped in Long Beach, Ca. Somehow he got seperated from the others and woke up in LA.

Since he didn't know much English, he saw the sign Marines walked in. He though it was a mercant marine station. A sharp recruiter saw his chance, and signed him up.

Of course Marines had to teach him how to speak English... LOL

He was not a US citizen at that time, but today he is.

http://www.quartermasterdesign.com/pointman/index.html

Omega
09-22-03, 09:57 AM
Doesn't serving in the us military help with your naturalization? or am I tottaly off base on this? because I think I read something about Marines that had come from mexico and joining the corps helped with their citizenship. Or maybe I'm wrong.

yellowwing
09-22-03, 10:56 AM
The number of Canadians that went to America to serve outnumber the hippie draft dodgers fled to Canada. I got my resident alien card as a teenager, then took some leave to get naturalized while stationed in MCAS El Toro.

I know I made the right choice. Being Marine is second to none. Besides, a typical Hell's Angels club house is better armed than a Canadian platoon. :(

usmc67
09-22-03, 12:27 PM
Yellowwing Member,
You might want to read Wayne Bachsinski's story, tile: "We gave them our worst and they gave their best". Wayne comes from Wininpeg Canada and Joined the Marines in 1965, we served in Vietnam together in 67/68. Go to www.bravoartillery.org and look in the Headquarters section under table of contents for his quick story.

Semper Fi,
Paul Marquis

usmc67
09-22-03, 12:31 PM
Omega,
I am sure it must help for naturalization.

S/F
Paul Marquis

GySgtRet
09-22-03, 04:20 PM
I server with foreign nationals and put them in the USMC as a recruiter. Follow Six Guns advise and get your paperwork started. Since Sweden is a nutral country the rules may be different for you Jimmy.

Semper Fidelis,

GySgtRet

marine5
09-22-03, 09:45 PM
JIMMY...It is really simple for you to join the USMC....
I am orginally from Canada...came over and joined the USMC in May
of 1968....served two tours in Vietnam...
What I would suggest to you is that you go personally to the US Embassy...Talk to the MARINE on Duty at the Door or Desk...and tell him what you want to do...I am sure the Marines will be more than happy to get you going on your paperwork.....
1. They will probably give you the AFQT test first...
2. Give you a physical...
3. If you pass those to hurdles...
4. Then the paper work for you to become a "Landed Immigrant",
will get started...
5. They WILL do a really deep background check on you, if you have
any ARRESTS or criminal background forget it...
6. If you or anyone in your family is a member of any Political
Party that is not in keeping with the USA way of life...forget it...

Once I had passed the first two...it only took the Embassy 10 days
to issue my "Green Card"...(Probably because the only people I talked to at the US Counsolate in Toronto Can...WEre Marines...One being a really Big Gunny Sgt).Went to the US/CDN Border walked into Immigration Office there..they took my CDN Passport...stamped my papers and then sent me to the Social Security Office to get my number...Two days later I was standing on the Yellow Foot Prints
at PISC about 02:00Hrs...WARNING: THE CHANGE IS FOREVER !!!!

usmc67
09-22-03, 11:20 PM
And Paris Island has not changed at all, I use to live near there and visited often, last time was in 93, we will be holding a company reunion there in June 2004 (Echo Company 2/3), Vietnam 67/68, our company took hill Hill 881 north and fought on 861 in the Hill fights at KheSanh. www.echo23marines6569.org you can read about it on our web site.

Sierra Foxtrot,
Paul Marquis

PS...Yellow foot steps haven't moved either!

03Infantry
09-23-03, 01:38 AM
One of my friends in bootcamp was Canadian and he is a Marine now. We don't mind others that wanna be Marines

Sgt Sostand
09-23-03, 01:13 PM
EveryOne want to be a Marine i wonder why hehehehe you think is because we are the Best....

25snakeman02
03-23-04, 11:15 AM
Jimmy, I am not entirely sure you cannot. I had several Men in my platoons from Countries other than America (Canada, Central America). I do believe the US Embassy in Sweden woudl be your best bet to find out. What say the rest of Leatherneck.com?

Snakeman

femalemarine_89
12-02-04, 04:51 PM
Jimmy,
If this is something that you really and truely want you will go thru whatever measures that you have to and make it. It is all up to you and what is truely in your heart.. Good luck

LivinSoFree
12-02-04, 05:43 PM
I went to boot with a guy who had *deserted* from the Ecuadorian Army and moved to New York 9 years ago... 28 years old, about 4' 11" and strong as an ox... saw him pick up a 6'2" 220 pound recruit plus gear and RUN him out of a fire zone on crucible. Lead series had a recruit from Germany too.

Thirsty Pilgrim
12-02-04, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by yellowwing
The number of Canadians that went to America to serve outnumber the hippie draft dodgers fled to Canada. I got my resident alien card as a teenager, then took some leave to get naturalized while stationed in MCAS El Toro.

I know I made the right choice. Being Marine is second to none. Besides, a typical Hell's Angels club house is better armed than a Canadian platoon. :(

You may be interested in the following concerning Canadians in Vietnam...

http://www.vwam.com/vets/canadians.html

http://www.glanmore.org/cdncas/memorialair.html

rvngunner
08-02-05, 09:49 PM
If you leagally live in the USA and meet meet the standards reguired by the Corps, and can complete Basic training then welcome to the Corps. I was a Sergant of Marines during the Vietnam War Era. I served with several Marines that were not citizens od the US but were excellent Marines and many went on to be come US citizens. Good luck. Keep me posted -rvngunner@aol.com- Semper Fi James B Herring;)

usmc67
08-02-05, 10:02 PM
This guy is probably a Sgt by now, he first asked this question June 2002. Let's hope he made it, if so, lets hope he lets us know.

hrscowboy
08-02-05, 10:48 PM
damn and i thought we was hells angels

rvngunner
08-02-05, 10:52 PM
we were Angels in Hell

Joseph P Carey
08-03-05, 04:16 AM
I know many of you have heard me down the Country of Canada, and my feelings about Canada have not changed, but I have also said all along that I have known Canadians that were not representative of Canada. For the record, these are the Marines from Canadian ancestry that were killed in my Regiment, the 7th, during the War in Vietnam. I am proud to have had them with me and us.

http://www.marzone.com/7thMarines/Hst5001.htm

usmc67
08-03-05, 10:01 AM
Canada sent us her best, and we sent her our worst.

We had a few Canadians in my unit. 2nd Bn 3rd Marines, Echo Company and Bravo Battery.

www.echo23marines6569.org

Sgt Sostand
08-06-05, 10:00 PM
So Jemmy you want to be a Bad a*s huh be aware what you wish for