PDA

View Full Version : Dog of deployed Marine needs foster home

thedrifter
03-24-09, 07:22 AM
Dog of deployed Marine needs foster home
Darla, a German shepherd mix, is on a rescue hold so she won't be euthanized.
By Jessie-Lynne Kerr
Story updated at 8:17 AM on Tuesday, Mar. 24, 2009

Darla is scared. She anxiously peers with her sad eyes at human faces that pass her kennel at the Jacksonville’s Animal Care and Control headquarters.

In short she could be called a casualty of the war on terrorism.

Her owner, Ricky Howard, 21, of Arlington, is being deployed with the Merchant Marines. So he can no longer provide a home for the 11-month-old German shepherd mix who has been his best friend for seven months.

“She’s a really good dog,” Howard said. “I wanted to take her with me, but I can’t.”

He called family and friends to see if they could take care of Darla while he is deployed, but none could help.
So Saturday, Howard took Darla to the animal care center.

“I was really worried because they told me there was an 8-out-of-10 chance that she would be euthanized,” he said.

But animal care division chief Scott Trebatoski told the Times-Union on Monday that Darla is safe.

“We have a rescue hold on her so she won’t be euthanized,” he said. “She is so sweet.”

Darla is an indoor dog, up to date on all her shots, housebroken, good with small children and other animals and knows commands of sit, down and stay. She is a svelte 30 pounds or so.

Animal Care and Control can be reached at (904) 387-8924 for more information.

Rick DuCharme, founder of First Coast No More Homeless Pets, said he will provide free spay service for anyone who will give Darla a foster home.

Several nationwide volunteer organizations work to help military pets find comfort, love and nurturing until their owners return from battle. To foster is to keep love waiting, they say.

Howard said he would like that love waiting for him when he returns.

Homeless military pets

For more information about providing a foster home for a military pet, check out the following Web sites:

www.anapsid.org/societies/

www.guardianangelsforsoldierspet.org/

www.netpets.org/militarypet/foster.php

www.operationnoblefoster.org/military.htm

Ellie