PDA

View Full Version : Here's one for former/current recruiters...

roxieb
03-24-09, 03:21 AM
This question is not necessarily related to the Marine Corps per se, but more as suggestions for a thank you to a good Marine.

One of my recruiters (also one of my favorite Marines) is leaving the office and returning to the fleet. I know he does not expect anything, but I thought it would be nice if I put something together for him as a going away gift. Since me, my husband, and my brother are all his recruits we want to get him something besides a simple thank you card for all the priceless help he has given to us. Just wondering if you guys had any ideas as recruiters yourselves, what would you appreciate? (btw, I only have a week to do this).

Thanks.

JWDevilDog
03-24-09, 06:34 AM
If I were a recruiter I would like a picture of the three of you in your Dress Blues, all together, after you graduate boot camp, maybe with some sort of note attached saying how he helped pull part of your family into his, or something along those lines.

I don't know, maybe I'm just weird, but I think that would be a meaningful gift. Of course, it couldn't happen within the next week, but if you kept in contact with him in the Fleet, it could happen easily.

0231Marine
03-24-09, 06:47 AM
It's funny because that recruiter that you're thanking now, you'll be cursing in a couple months when you're doing mountain climbers until the drill instructor gets tired...lol.

JWDevilDog
03-24-09, 06:49 AM
Hahahah that's a good point, Cpl..

KawiGunny
03-24-09, 08:59 AM
It's funny because that recruiter that you're thanking now, you'll be cursing in a couple months when you're doing mountain climbers until the drill instructor gets tired...lol.

He!!, I still curse my recruiter after 23 yrs.:D

Petz
03-24-09, 09:04 AM
didn't she ask for current or previous recruiters??? why are Cpls and LCpls posting in this thread?

GySgtRet
03-24-09, 09:39 AM
What a sweet deal being a Recruiter and getting you, your husband , and your brother. This is how traditions get started. Do you know for sure when your recruiter is leaving the command? Do you know where he is going with his PCS? I would go to the admin section and ask if you don't know for sure. If the SSgt doesn't have a NCO sword that would be what I would have liked had this happened to me. Since you are in California you should be able to get something from Camp Pendelton, San Diego, or 29 Palms. There can be personal engraving on this a momento from you three and his recruiting tour. Bare in mind depending on the engravings that you choose and the length of the sword may have something to do with the cost. Try and guess at his arm length so it will fit his body correctly when he does the sword manual with it.

Good luck to all three of you at MCRD.

Gunny out
:usmc:

Petz
03-24-09, 12:13 PM
if you're going to ask his command where he's going, you might as well ask them to try and find out the length of sword he uses.... it's as easy as another Marine simply asking him, cause they want to figure out how long a sword would be for them....

very sneaky sneaky.

KawiGunny
03-24-09, 12:29 PM
if you're going to ask his command where he's going, you might as well ask them to try and find out the length of sword he uses.... it's as easy as another Marine simply asking him, cause they want to figure out how long a sword would be for them....

very sneaky sneaky.

Just be carefull how you word that. You start asking a Marine how long his sword is and he might show you.:D

Petz
03-24-09, 01:06 PM
hahahahahaha.....

yeah, quicker than you'd think if they've been drinking.

SGT7477
03-24-09, 01:55 PM
Kind of like a fish story they keep getting bigger.

StoneTheWeak
03-24-09, 04:06 PM
This question is not necessarily related to the Marine Corps per se, but more as suggestions for a thank you to a good Marine.

One of my recruiters (also one of my favorite Marines) is leaving the office and returning to the fleet. I know he does not expect anything, but I thought it would be nice if I put something together for him as a going away gift. Since me, my husband, and my brother are all his recruits we want to get him something besides a simple thank you card for all the priceless help he has given to us. Just wondering if you guys had any ideas as recruiters yourselves, what would you appreciate? (btw, I only have a week to do this).

Thanks.

Haha, "Don't thank me, thank your recruiter." Doesn't probably make very much sense right now, but wait till after you've been in. I know someone on here knows what I'm talking about.

GySgtRet
03-24-09, 05:32 PM
1. Did your recruiter have a 9mm pointed at your head when you signed your enlistment contract?
2. Were you blind folded when you signed your contract?
3. Did you tell your recruiter the truth about everything?
4. The Drill Instructors have the job of making Marines.
5. The Recruiters' job is to make sure that we are completly qualified.
6. The potential poolee, (enlistee, wannbee) has the job to qualify.
7. I did not have a problem with my recruiter becasue I read the entire contract before signing. Besides I didn't care what I got as long as I could be a Marine.
8. So lay off of the RECRUITER jokes.
You cain't really blame these poolees if they idealize their recruiter, he must be a great one.

Gunny out

commdog7
03-24-09, 05:49 PM
Why does it seem that most Marines idolized their recruiters when they signed, but hated them when they got to the fleet? And why is it that most Marines hated their Drill Instructors in boot, but idolized them when they got to the fleet? Quite interesting when you think about it.

Semper Fidelis :iwo:

CplKJSpevak
03-24-09, 06:06 PM
the Gunny who put me in is a local, I ran into him about 11 years out of the Corps....I sent him a letter explaining how much of an effect he had on me as an impressionable 18 year old. Also, How Being a Marine Enriched my life. He has 40 members of his Family who are Marines, His Old man did 39 years,His brother a Gunny, and Himself retired a Master Gunny, a month after we caught up with each other he sponsored my Marine Corps League Membership......so here I was swearing in AGAIN because of him. He really appreciated the letter, I wanted to let him know he didnt' put in a 5hitbird. Once you experience it, and "Not just graduate Bootcamp" But fullfill your obligation as a U.S. Marine You'll know what I'm ramblin about! I was alway's grateful for the recruiters who worked as a team with all of us in our local DEP.......My point is if you appreciate him now, Just wait until your a Veteran or Career Marine, Good Luck to you, and also Here's to you Master Gunnery Sgt. Dave Crawford!! Ooohrah!

GySgtRet
03-24-09, 06:22 PM
That is ed zachary what I was saying thank you.

CplKJSpevak,

A long tradition just like these boots are trying to get established the entire family almost.

Hey we high jacked this young lady's thread so can we keep it to her standard please?

Gunny out

SGT7477
03-24-09, 07:26 PM
Why does it seem that most Marines idolized their recruiters when they signed, but hated them when they got to the fleet? And why is it that most Marines hated their Drill Instructors in boot, but idolized them when they got to the fleet? Quite interesting when you think about it.

Semper Fidelis :iwo:
My recruiter was a Gunny and as far as my DI's I respected all these great Marines wish I could meet them all again.:flag:

CplKJSpevak
03-24-09, 08:02 PM
what would you appreciate? (btw, I only have a week to do this).

Thanks.

Gift Certificates to Outback are alway's nice!!:marine:

Phantom Blooper
03-24-09, 09:52 PM
Although the idea is nice....I would be cautious until this Marine is no longer attached to the recruiting command....because they are not allowed to accept gifts from poolees.:evilgrin:

roxieb
03-25-09, 12:23 AM
Although the idea is nice....I would be cautious until this Marine is no longer attached to the recruiting command....because they are not allowed to accept gifts from poolees.:evilgrin:

Ooh, didn't know that. Well, I guess for now what we'll do is the thank you card and bring something in for all the Marines in the office, like food or something. But I really appreciate the sword and picture ideas! I'll have to look into how to order one. However, I guess they'll have to wait til I'm actually a Marine (which will hopefully be soon). I would have never thought of that, thank you!

I don't think I'll ever have anything but the utmost respect for my recruiter--Ssgt Domingo--as a Marine and as a person. He's a guy that has overcome a lot in his life and is a real fighter. I respect that. Also, it's been my dream of mine for a while now to become a Marine, and he really dedicated himself to my case and helped me become a poolee in a weeks time! How can I not be grateful? :)

Thank you for all the replies!