PDA

View Full Version : 3-Mile Run Down to 18:00 (and IST Questions...)

Shippingsoon
03-24-09, 12:18 AM
Hello Everyone,

I've been in the pool for about 3 months now. I ship to PI June 8th (OORAH!)!

I've been doing PT with my RSS Pool twice a week, sometimes on Saturdays with them. On many other days, I'm PTing moderately as well.

Currently, I'm at 27 pullups before dropping from the bar. Also, I'm at 90 crunches in 2 minutes. My 3-mile run is around 21:00.

Given that I have a few months before I ship, any tricks to get my run time down or my crunches past 100? Also, when I take the IST during my first week at boot camp, am I to perform the minimum or can I shoot for the perfect score? Do I have to let them know ahead of time if I want to run 3-miles if that's the case?

Thanks for any advice!

Goldbaum
03-24-09, 02:06 AM
Unless things have changed, you're good on te pull ups, do more crunches daily and always 100+, time yourself a couple times a week. On the run, the PFT is 3 miles (or was in my day) ALWAYS give it 110%, if you can max it, max it. I never maxed it until I was a Ssgt and learned how to train for the run. Get your weekly mileage up to about 40 miles, do intervals of 1/4 miles at 90sec once a week and do 1 mile intervals at 6 minutes once a week. That will get you there.

Good luck

BR34
03-24-09, 06:04 AM
As far as your run, you're going to have to do the 1.5 miles with everyone else. They're not going to set up a PFT run just for you.

JWDevilDog
03-24-09, 06:26 AM
Am I the only Marine that takes some offense to a poolee saying oohrah? To me that is something that is earned along with the Title. I know for da*m sure I never got to say oohrah while in boot camp.

As far as your run is concerned, I would alternate days with sprints and distance runs. The distance runs, as far as I understand, won't really increase your runtime, but they will definitely get you used to the distance (no-brainer). The sprints will help you increase your runtime. It gets your body used to running faster for longer periods of time. On a distance run, your body will naturally slack off, without you noticing. It is hard to keep the same fast pace the entire way through. On a sprint, though, people force themselves to max out everytime.

But realistically, if you ship and your runtime isn't yet 18 minutes, don't worry too much about it. Boot camp will get it there. Same with the crunches.

0231Marine
03-24-09, 06:42 AM
Am I the only Marine that takes some offense to a poolee saying oohrah? To me that is something that is earned along with the Title. I know for da*m sure I never got to say oohrah while in boot camp.

No, you're not the only one! Poolee's, you need to refrain from using that word until you've earned the title.

Pete0331
03-24-09, 06:43 AM
Hello Everyone,

I've been doing PT with my RSS Pool twice a week, sometimes on Saturdays with them. On many other days, I'm PTing moderately as well.

Currently, I'm at 27 pullups before dropping from the bar. Also, I'm at 90 crunches in 2 minutes. My 3-mile run is around 21:00.

Given that I have a few months before I ship, any tricks to get my run time down or my crunches past 100? Also, when I take the IST during my first week at boot camp, am I to perform the minimum or can I shoot for the perfect score? Do I have to let them know ahead of time if I want to run 3-miles if that's the case?

Thanks for any advice!

You can shoot for perfect score.

Run more and do more sit-ups.
The abs can be worked everyday if you stretch properly.
Run every other day from now until a week before you leave, at varying distances and speeds.

The best way to get better at running 1.5 miles is to run no more or less then 1.5 miles.

JWG
03-24-09, 09:27 AM
Hey brother,

As for crunches, like said before, it's all about repetitiveness and doing it at least every other day (preferably every day). It deteriorates very quickly, like the rest of the IST strengths.

Another big thing is form when it comes to crunches. How are your arms placed on your torso and where?

Capital M
03-24-09, 10:15 AM
You can try even sprinting during your distance runs. What I do on a shorter distance run (2 mi.) is find a spot where there are some telephone poles or something of similar nature, and sprint 1 length, the go back to regular speed for 2 lengths, then sprint another length. etc etc. Doing this helped me drop my 3mi about 2 minutes.

agwilliams
03-24-09, 12:08 PM
okay im getting conflicting things about what the run is on the first IST in bootcamp is. some say its 3 miles while others say its 1.5 miles...and I am a female and will be 28 when i ship to bootcamp....so how long do i have to complete the run..however long it may be?

JWG
03-24-09, 02:20 PM
okay im getting conflicting things about what the run is on the first IST in bootcamp is. some say its 3 miles while others say its 1.5 miles...and I am a female and will be 28 when i ship to bootcamp....so how long do i have to complete the run..however long it may be?

1 Mile Run - 10:30. This is minimum for females in the IST. This is after processing as far as I know.

Qwarkeh
03-24-09, 02:21 PM

1.5 mile run - minimum time is 15 minutes

the PFT is something you take later on in boot, and that is what you will use for the rest of your career. That one includes the 3 mile run. For females the minimum time is 31 minutes.

cowstep2
03-24-09, 03:47 PM

As far as your run is concerned, I would alternate days with sprints and distance runs. The distance runs, as far as I understand, won't really increase your runtime, but they will definitely get you used to the distance (no-brainer). The sprints will help you increase your runtime. It gets your body used to running faster for longer periods of time. On a distance run, your body will naturally slack off, without you noticing. It is hard to keep the same fast pace the entire way through. On a sprint, though, people force themselves to max out everytime.

But realistically, if you ship and your runtime isn't yet 18 minutes, don't worry too much about it. Boot camp will get it there. Same with the crunches.
Never heard oohrah until Hollywood came up withit.

agwilliams
03-24-09, 07:35 PM
Never heard oohrah until Hollywood came up withit.

I grew up with my dad saying it...doesnt it mean Kill?

Lupo22
03-24-09, 10:06 PM
Isn't it 1.5 miles in 13:00? not 15? I could be mistaken.

For the crunches, focus on your form and breathing during the excercise. Don't hit a wall too soon. Pace yourself. I close my eyes and and try to focus on my breathing while doing the excercise.

When I used to have to take a break, I would lay flat and stretch my arms straight out above my head but along hte floor to stretch out my abs. I could always pull another 20-30 situps after that.

Also, try doing other ab excercises: leg lifts, scissor kicks, weighted crunches, weighted leg lifts, roman leg lifts, etc. Abs heal VERY quick so they can be worked out hard and worked out everyday.

Rotella
03-24-09, 11:47 PM
For the crunches, focus on your form and breathing during the excercise. Don't hit a wall too soon. Pace yourself. I close my eyes and and try to focus on my breathing while doing the excercise.Actually closing your eyes is a bad strategy psychologically. If you cut off an entire sense (sight) then that much more attention is put into other things, like pain. This is a main purpose of cadences. The more distractions, the better.

JWDevilDog
03-25-09, 10:30 AM
I grew up with my dad saying it...doesnt it mean Kill?

Not really. It's more of a positive remark or shout. It doesn't really have a "meaning," more of a feeling with Marines than anything else.

Rocky C
03-25-09, 10:37 AM
I ran on the beach in soft sand and boots for 3 months before I left. When I finally hit the concrete I thought I had wings on my feet.
Rocky

Jensen139
03-25-09, 10:44 AM
Personally I think running every day or every other day is going to set your up for failure. You are not training for a marathon you are training to run 3 miles. I'm surprised that more Marines and Poolees never recommend crossfit. Crossfit is superior to any other training program I have seen and it is perfect for training soldiers to be better soldiers physically. In my city we do not have a crossfit box but I train very similar to it. Here are there free WODs (workout of the day).
http://www.crossfit.com/

This is my gyms website along with all the workouts we have done in the past few months. (you can go back and look them up by date).
http://journal.monkeybargym.com/workouts/2/

If you interested in learning more feel free to send me a messge.

JWDevilDog
03-25-09, 10:49 AM
I'm gonna give you some advice that no one else seems to have given yet, unless I've overlooked it.

Just say f*ck it and accept that you're a slow a** and will never hit 18 minutes.

Lol I'm kidding. Don't do that...

JWG
03-25-09, 11:18 AM
Personally I think running every day or every other day is going to set your up for failure. You are not training for a marathon you are training to run 3 miles. I'm surprised that more Marines and Poolees never recommend crossfit. Crossfit is superior to any other training program I have seen and it is perfect for training soldiers to be better soldiers physically. In my city we do not have a crossfit box but I train very similar to it. Here are there free WODs (workout of the day).
http://www.crossfit.com/

This is my gyms website along with all the workouts we have done in the past few months. (you can go back and look them up by date).
http://journal.monkeybargym.com/workouts/2/

If you interested in learning more feel free to send me a messge.

So, the Marines who have been to Parris Island and San Diego don't know how to give good advice on preparing for it? Running every other day.. how is that setting yourself up for failure? It's been recommended by countless Marines.

I refuse to take your word over theirs, especially when it was followed by an advertisement for your gym that is much more knowledgeable in Marine Corps fitness, right? :thumbdown:banana:

Jensen139
03-25-09, 11:22 AM
There's a good way and a better way. Sorry if that sounds blunt, but Marines who do crossfit score higher PFT scores and have less injuries. There are some studies to back this up give me some time and I'll find them.

By no means am I advertising anything. I only workout there. And they is so much FREE information on their site.

Rocky C
03-25-09, 11:23 AM
So, the Marines who have been to Parris Island and San Diego don't know how to give good advice on preparing for it? Running every other day.. how is that setting yourself up for failure? It's been recommended by countless Marines.

I refuse to take your word over theirs, especially when it was followed by an advertisement for your gym that is much more knowledgeable in Marine Corps fitness, right? :thumbdown:banana:

GOOD ANSWER!!!!!!! Parris Island 1977
Semper Fi,
Rocky

Rocky C
03-25-09, 11:27 AM
There's a good way and a better way. Sorry if that sounds blunt, but Marines who do crossfit score higher PFT scores and have less injuries. There are some studies to back this up give me some time and I'll find them.

By no means am I advertising anything. I only workout there. And they is so much FREE information on their site.

"There's a good way and a better way???????
I only know one way, The Marine Corps way..................

Rocky

Jensen139
03-25-09, 11:32 AM
Gotta love how stubborn you guys are! haha. I'm only trying to be informative. Have you heard of operation phoenix? Crossfit is raising money for the Corps to install crossfit gyms on Marines bases. PLEASE take a minute to look at their video. It can be found here on their website.

http://operationphoenix.myshopify.com/

JWG
03-25-09, 11:35 AM

I am referring mainly to your comment on running. Why is running every day or every other day SETTING UP FOR FAILURE?

If you consistently run every other day, allowing time for recovery, you're body WILL ADAPT, AND OVERCOME. You will not set yourself up for failure. You will build endurance and strength, helping your run.. and with sprints added in from time to time, you will help your run time improve.

Crossfit, I'm sure, is a great program for exercises, but after looking on their website, it is mainly focused on just that, exercises. I did not see much running/jogging. A whole other area of focus.

I choose to stick to running every other days (at times two days in a row when I have to) and doing the basics every day (crunches, pullups, pushups, etc). I do just fine, and by no means am going to fail. Check? :beer:

STAY MOTO! :flag:

JWG
03-25-09, 11:37 AM
Gotta love how stubborn you guys are! haha. I'm only trying to be informative. Have you heard of operation phoenix? Crossfit is raising money for the Corps to install crossfit gyms on Marines bases. PLEASE take a minute to look at their video. It can be found here on their website.

http://operationphoenix.myshopify.com/

Check yourself, brother. You may call me stubborn all you want, fine. But DO NOT call a Marine stubborn. He will be all he wants. Got it? No room for your opinion over a Marine, especially an insult. :evilgrin:

JWDevilDog
03-25-09, 11:40 AM
Check yourself, brother. You may call me stubborn all you want, fine. But DO NOT call a Marine stubborn. He will be all he wants. Got it? No room for your opinion over a Marine, especially an insult. :evilgrin:

This man speaks the truth. Nothing more need be said.

NoRemorse
03-25-09, 01:34 PM
Good moto there, JWG.

I like CrossFit... used some of their stuff. I like MonkeyBarGym too, I purchased a couple of Jungle Gym's and some of their other stuff when I was training clients in Fairfield. Switched to the TRX thereafter. Your advice is woefully inadequate there Jensen.

These poolees need to worry more about specificity and their running form as well as any standing or walking gait issues. Standard PT at a good pace and running is going to work better than cross-training with a bunch of different methods that will give them less crossover for run training... Get my drift? Good.

Your average poolee around the age of 17-18 is still suffering from the ill-effects that puberty has on their bone-length and proprioception. They need simple movements through space... and it has to be cheap. That's why we go the PFT route of using a standard set of movements (you know... your dailies, say thank you to the Company GySgt), cadences, and volume.

You work on your run you get better at it. You add sprints and you get faster. You can also run longer. Going back to the original poster I'd cut run time down and add more sprints (distance or time) as well as swimming. Swimming gives you the most crossover.

Add cadences to your runs and you can boost your speed and endurance during your sticking points, which is when you hit the wall. Combine cadences with volume and you get... big freaking lungs and the ability to run all day while still sounding off. Which means quite frankly you'll have an easier time humping that gear all over the place... uphill... in the sand... and snow... both ways... while carrying your buddy across your shoulders.

Besides, periodization doesn't work when you use a classical model. Run. Rest. Rest Run. Rest. Run. Rest works better. You can add sprints, subtract mileage, add mileage and then taper down to when your PFT is so you back off about a week out, get 2-3 days of rest and then peak on the day of your PFT.

Needlessly scientific eh? Want to improve your run time? Run less for a few weeks, add more sprints, start swimming and feel it out.

Shippingsoon
03-25-09, 02:29 PM
Good moto there, JWG.

I like CrossFit... used some of their stuff. I like MonkeyBarGym too, I purchased a couple of Jungle Gym's and some of their other stuff when I was training clients in Fairfield. Switched to the TRX thereafter. Your advice is woefully inadequate there Jensen.

These poolees need to worry more about specificity and their running form as well as any standing or walking gait issues. Standard PT at a good pace and running is going to work better than cross-training with a bunch of different methods that will give them less crossover for run training... Get my drift? Good.

Your average poolee around the age of 17-18 is still suffering from the ill-effects that puberty has on their bone-length and proprioception. They need simple movements through space... and it has to be cheap. That's why we go the PFT route of using a standard set of movements (you know... your dailies, say thank you to the Company GySgt), cadences, and volume.

You work on your run you get better at it. You add sprints and you get faster. You can also run longer. Going back to the original poster I'd cut run time down and add more sprints (distance or time) as well as swimming. Swimming gives you the most crossover.

Add cadences to your runs and you can boost your speed and endurance during your sticking points, which is when you hit the wall. Combine cadences with volume and you get... big freaking lungs and the ability to run all day while still sounding off. Which means quite frankly you'll have an easier time humping that gear all over the place... uphill... in the sand... and snow... both ways... while carrying your buddy across your shoulders.

Besides, periodization doesn't work when you use a classical model. Run. Rest. Rest Run. Rest. Run. Rest works better. You can add sprints, subtract mileage, add mileage and then taper down to when your PFT is so you back off about a week out, get 2-3 days of rest and then peak on the day of your PFT.

Needlessly scientific eh? Want to improve your run time? Run less for a few weeks, add more sprints, start swimming and feel it out.

Thank you for the great advice. I will definitely incorporate swimming into my routine.

I also like the idea of running in sand with boots - I can only imagine how much easier pavement running would be after doing something like that for a month or two.

Much appriciated!

Jensen139
03-25-09, 03:23 PM
Good moto there, JWG.

Agree to disagree. Crossfit will make you a better Marine. What you laid out will make a you a better runner however, it will take longer and you would not have progressed as much as you would have if training more effectively. Here is some data I pulled of the crossfit journal website. That validates crossft as a superior training program to that of in this case it was the Royal Canadian Infantry School. I know it isn't the Marines (I'm sure they are working on that too). But there military PT is similar. Run, rest, run etc.

http://library.crossfit.com/free/pdf/41_06_CF_Validity_Tested.pdf

Here is an interview by Major Andrew Thompson-USMC of Crossfit Quantico given to crossfit radio.
http://library.crossfit.com/free/audio/CFRadio46-090318.mp3

Heres Gregs Glassmans speech to The National War College. In the audience Lieutenant General Frances C. Wilson, United States Marine Corps.
Here is part 1. All 4 parts can easily be found in the journal.

http://journal.crossfit.com/2009/01/national-war-college-speech-part-1.tpl

And if all thats not enough. Here's an article from the Marine Corps Times.
http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news/2008/06/marine_crossfit_062208w/

Shippingtosoon- I hope you do take the time to do some reading and listen to coach Glassmans speech. With your name it sounds like you didn't leave yourself adequate time to prepare for bootcamp. I hope you look into crossfit when you get to the fleet. There are crossfit gyms at nearly every Marine base across the country as well as over seas. And thanks to Operation Phoenix which has raised over $140,000 for the Marine Corps there will only become larger and nicer facility's.

Shippingsoon
03-25-09, 04:33 PM
Jensen,

I've just replied to the insulting, presumtuous private message you've sent me entitled "some life advice" about your thoughts on physical fitness, my appriciation for the advice of actual Marines through this forum and my apparent lack of research.

I certaintly don't have the authority to stop you from posting, nor have I yet earned the title of Marine, but here's "some life advice" for yourself: Coming to a Marine forum to tell Marines how wrong they are about what they think it takes to help someone become a Marine makes me doubt your ability to ever become one.

If you like Crossfit, great - go use it. What you're doing here today, however, feels to me like "Fitness-Jehova's-Witnessing" - except you keep knocking on the damn door.

Jensen139
03-25-09, 05:09 PM
You make me sound bad. My PM was neither insulting nor "presumptuous". I more or less simply stated and still believe that not all advice is good advice, even if its giving to you multiple times and that doing some research by yourself could have answered this question since I'm sure it's been asked a hundred times on here before. Maybe this shows "your" ability to become a Marine. I am done have a ****ing match with you. Best of luck to you.

I also have the utmost respect and admiration for Marines. However, I believe sometimes opinions and tone can be skewed and misinterpreted responding to a question in a forum.

I post multiple sources of reference on how the crossfit program is superior. And even how many Marines, especially those with higher PFT scores use it. Do as you wish. I only tried to help.

NoRemorse
03-25-09, 05:37 PM
Agree to disagree. Crossfit will make you a better Marine. What you laid out will make a you a better runner however, it will take longer and you would not have progressed as much as you would have if training more effectively. Here is some data I pulled of the crossfit journal website. That validates crossft as a superior training program to that of in this case it was the Royal Canadian Infantry School. I know it isn't the Marines (I'm sure they are working on that too). But there military PT is similar. Run, rest, run etc.

http://library.crossfit.com/free/pdf/41_06_CF_Validity_Tested.pdf

Here is an interview by Major Andrew Thompson-USMC of Crossfit Quantico given to crossfit radio.
http://library.crossfit.com/free/audio/CFRadio46-090318.mp3

Heres Gregs Glassmans speech to The National War College. In the audience Lieutenant General Frances C. Wilson, United States Marine Corps.
Here is part 1. All 4 parts can easily be found in the journal.

http://journal.crossfit.com/2009/01/national-war-college-speech-part-1.tpl

And if all thats not enough. Here's an article from the Marine Corps Times.
http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news/2008/06/marine_crossfit_062208w/

Shippingtosoon- I hope you do take the time to do some reading and listen to coach Glassmans speech. With your name it sounds like you didn't leave yourself adequate time to prepare for bootcamp. I hope you look into crossfit when you get to the fleet. There are crossfit gyms at nearly every Marine base across the country as well as over seas. And thanks to Operation Phoenix which has raised over $140,000 for the Marine Corps there will only become larger and nicer facility's.

You miss the basic point. Gym memberships and sessions with a trainer cost money. Even I'd be remiss to offer free lessons or training at the local RSS because of time and money.

The certification programs at CrossFit aren't cheap either. Boots will have enough to worry about money-wise until they've gotten a bit more mature and have saved up a bit of their paychecks.

If you look around you can find a place to swim for free or little cost. Pavement costs no more than the running shoes you need to outfit yourself with. Bodyweight is free once you've purchased a meal.

It's not the easiest thing in a world to go find an experienced trainer or coach who can improve your form, analyze your run or devote time to training you without compensation.

I've used CrossFit, I've met their trainers. I've worked with RKC's. I've met Gray Cook and the good Dr. at an FMS seminar. The RKC cert cost about 2k. Kettlebells run like $80 depending on the size. Equinox paid for the FMS seminar. Don't even try to go to a CrossFit event without knowing somebody or having a cert. All this stuff is good but it isn't cheap (rightfully so). Don't come on here selling someone else's expertise because quite frankly, you're not going to pay for it. Stop pimping somebody else's sh!t!

If a poolee wants to research on their own, more power to 'em. Why shell out mega-bucks when all they need for starters is a place to do pull-ups, some uneven terrain, an area to run in, and a playground for bodyweight exercises? They'll learn to be completely self-sufficient when it comes to doing PT anywhere.

Palomba
03-25-09, 08:26 PM
You make me sound bad. My PM was neither insulting nor "presumptuous". I more or less simply stated and still believe that not all advice is good advice, even if its giving to you multiple times and that doing some research by yourself could have answered this question since I'm sure it's been asked a hundred times on here before. Maybe this shows "your" ability to become a Marine. I am done have a ****ing match with you. Best of luck to you.

I also have the utmost respect and admiration for Marines. However, I believe sometimes opinions and tone can be skewed and misinterpreted responding to a question in a forum.

I post multiple sources of reference on how the crossfit program is superior. And even how many Marines, especially those with higher PFT scores use it. Do as you wish. I only tried to help.

Either way, you put your opinion in, so leave it at that, now you are just harassing people and ****ing them off. What life lesson is that? this threads about running, and he is looking for opinions on how to get his time down, crossfit is great, but the best way to get good at something, is doing that something. Run every day a variety of ways and im sure his time will decrease.

I can say that peperoni pizza is better than hamburger, and back it up with studies, research, and anything else, yet still be wrong.

Shippingsoon
03-25-09, 11:46 PM
Luckily, peperoni pizza IS better than hamburger ;)

Lupo22
03-26-09, 12:07 AM
I think the best answer was the one given earlier: If you run 21:00 in the 3 mile now, by the end of boot, when it comes time to take your PFT (well almost the end), you should be down to 18...but don't quit running now, obviously.

Crossfit is money. Most these kids don't have money. Hell, I'm taking fellow poolee's to work out with me at the gym, sometimes twice a day, because they can't afford a membership and I get to bring a friend free whenever I want.

Bottom line is if you're worried about your run, do some sprints, mix it up, don't kill yourself.

And I'm surprised no one has mentioned EATING...its so important to cut out your soda's, fast foods, fatty foods, and eat a healthy serving of vegetables/fruits every day. You'll need carbs (whole grain pastas and rice), and protein (lean chicken and fish, SOME red meat).

Take care bro and good luck!

Pandza03
03-26-09, 12:29 AM
You're doing very well as far as I can see and you ship on my birthday :P but keep it up and you'll be down to 18 in no time man.

Petz
03-26-09, 12:36 AM
Hello Everyone,

Thanks for any advice!

I'm not going to read all these posts, I'm sure all of this was covered... I just want to run my suck.

you have to do the IST with all the recruits who are picking up... I picked up with a female bn so it was a crap ton load of turds... just sprint the whole way and you'll be done in 7 min and you SDI will single you out as a squad leader or something... do your max pull-ups and he'll probably make you his guide.... do less than 100 crunches and he'll forget about you.

running 3 miles won't happen, but running a mile and a half in 7 min will get you noticed... so sprint the whole way, don't hold anything back... if you can run 3 miles in 21 min you can sprint full bore for a mile and a half....

focus on your crunches... get that 100 in 2 min... do different angles of your legs... and try doing them after you run, your legs will be tired and you use them alot during crunches, so it'll help you break that plateau you're stuck on.

then you should be good.

what's your MOS?

Petz
03-26-09, 12:40 AM
You miss the basic point. Gym memberships and sessions with a trainer cost money. Even I'd be remiss to offer free lessons or training at the local RSS because of time and money.

The certification programs at CrossFit aren't cheap either. Boots will have enough to worry about money-wise until they've gotten a bit more mature and have saved up a bit of their paychecks.

If you look around you can find a place to swim for free or little cost. Pavement costs no more than the running shoes you need to outfit yourself with. Bodyweight is free once you've purchased a meal.

It's not the easiest thing in a world to go find an experienced trainer or coach who can improve your form, analyze your run or devote time to training you without compensation.

I've used CrossFit, I've met their trainers. I've worked with RKC's. I've met Gray Cook and the good Dr. at an FMS seminar. The RKC cert cost about 2k. Kettlebells run like $80 depending on the size. Equinox paid for the FMS seminar. Don't even try to go to a CrossFit event without knowing somebody or having a cert. All this stuff is good but it isn't cheap (rightfully so). Don't come on here selling someone else's expertise because quite frankly, you're not going to pay for it. Stop pimping somebody else's sh!t!

If a poolee wants to research on their own, more power to 'em. Why shell out mega-bucks when all they need for starters is a place to do pull-ups, some uneven terrain, an area to run in, and a playground for bodyweight exercises? They'll learn to be completely self-sufficient when it comes to doing PT anywhere.

don't forget that crossfit has been targeted for hurting Navy personnel, and I think they frown on it in the Corps because of it's potential to damage government property!!

Lupo22
03-26-09, 12:47 AM
I'm not going to read all these posts, I'm sure all of this was covered... I just want to run my suck.

you have to do the IST with all the recruits who are picking up... I picked up with a female bn so it was a crap ton load of turds... just sprint the whole way and you'll be done in 7 min and you SDI will single you out as a squad leader or something... do your max pull-ups and he'll probably make you his guide.... do less than 100 crunches and he'll forget about you.

running 3 miles won't happen, but running a mile and a half in 7 min will get you noticed... so sprint the whole way, don't hold anything back... if you can run 3 miles in 21 min you can sprint full bore for a mile and a half....

focus on your crunches... get that 100 in 2 min... do different angles of your legs... and try doing them after you run, your legs will be tired and you use them alot during crunches, so it'll help you break that plateau you're stuck on.

then you should be good.

what's your MOS?

No disrespect sir, but if you can run 1 1/2 miles in 7 minutes, you'll be flirting with world record speed by the end of boot. hehe. Great number to aim for but don't be too disappointed when you end up around 9:00 or so.

I did 9:30 with no running at all prior to the test (first day at the RSS).

A life guard we PT with is in the best shape I've seen (he does 37 pullups, 80+ pushups in a minute, and 120 crunches in 2 min) and he still runs the 1 1/2 in 8 min and change.

Petz
03-26-09, 12:53 AM
he's muscle bound....

anyways, I'm saying that an 18:00 min 3 mile consists of an average runner doing a 5 min mile the first mile a 6 min mile the second and a 7 min mile the third.... equals 18 min 3 mile

now you can sprint you but off giving it your all and do a 7 min 1.5 mile... it's doable if you aren't thinking about anything else but sprinting and dying afterwards.

and stop calling me sir.

Lupo22
03-26-09, 01:04 AM
he's muscle bound....

anyways, I'm saying that an 18:00 min 3 mile consists of an average runner doing a 5 min mile the first mile a 6 min mile the second and a 7 min mile the third.... equals 18 min 3 mile

now you can sprint you but off giving it your all and do a 7 min 1.5 mile... it's doable if you aren't thinking about anything else but sprinting and dying afterwards.

and stop calling me sir.

lol i knew i was gonna catch crap for that...i swear it was after i read your other post telling me not to.

I guess 7 minutes is do-able but man you gotta be in some good shape getting to the MCRD...like i said, i'm a landscaper working 10 hrs a day in the sun and still working out every day/every other day and i don't know if i could do 7 minutes. It is very very mental...keep the feet moving, the legs chopping and control your breathing.

I find i can run so much better when i stop huffing and puffing and take some deep breaths in the middle of the run...and i feel much better too

Petz
03-26-09, 02:33 AM
well I could probably do the 7-8 min time if I streched my legs and gave it my all the entire mile and a half... and I mean serious streching.

JWDevilDog
03-26-09, 06:49 AM
I find quick breaths in from the nose, and one long-ish breath out from the mouth works decent. A corporal of mine once said that when you're running, you want to make yourself short on breath. Somehow that is supposed to help the actual breathing (it won't feel like it). I find it extremely difficult to do, though.

Honestly what I do when I'm running a PFT now is find someone in front of me, and pick them off. I think, "Oh look, it's Corporal so-and-so busting his ass up there. I'm gonna make him look like a fool when I pass him." Of course, that doesn't always work, so another thing I do is when someone does start to pass me, I keep pace with them for as long as I possibly can. This lengthens my strides, which considerably cuts down the overall runtime. Just by doing this last technique, after just having come back from a deployment to Thailand where there was no PT, and then having to run a PFT, I cut about 45 seconds off my runtime.

NoRemorse
03-26-09, 07:24 AM
don't forget that crossfit has been targeted for hurting Navy personnel, and I think they frown on it in the Corps because of it's potential to damage government property!!

What? It's dangerous? You don't wanna hurt that kids feelings... he went through all the trouble of copying and pasting those links. I mean... why would you follow what your recruiter does or build a program around the little PDF hand-out he gives you or listen to fresh graduates on RAP? I mean seriously... you could just look up all this stuff on the 'net, pay for a trainer, sign a waiver... whoops, pushed your ship time back 6 months due to an injury.

All of you kids have fun with the CFT while you're at it.

As for doing damage to government property... I don't wanna be the one to tell these kids that they can't see Sally Palm and her sisters anymore...

Shippingsoon
03-26-09, 07:26 AM
Thanks for the reply, SSgt.

My MOS is Crypto Linguist.

Just as a quick update, this very monrning I tried running "lower" to the ground while increasing my stride length and I just ran 3 miles in 20 minutes flat.

I also really appriciate the information you gave about pushing my hardest at the IST - getting (and with luck, holding) a guide position would be great!

then you should be good.

what's your MOS?

NoRemorse
03-26-09, 07:35 AM
Good work, poolee. Just make sure your feet aren't slapping when you increase your stride length. Also, watch your stroke when you run sprints. Look it up, it's interesting... and free.

Lupo22
03-27-09, 12:46 PM
I find quick breaths in from the nose, and one long-ish breath out from the mouth works decent. A corporal of mine once said that when you're running, you want to make yourself short on breath. Somehow that is supposed to help the actual breathing (it won't feel like it). I find it extremely difficult to do, though.

Honestly what I do when I'm running a PFT now is find someone in front of me, and pick them off. I think, "Oh look, it's Corporal so-and-so busting his ass up there. I'm gonna make him look like a fool when I pass him." Of course, that doesn't always work, so another thing I do is when someone does start to pass me, I keep pace with them for as long as I possibly can. This lengthens my strides, which considerably cuts down the overall runtime. Just by doing this last technique, after just having come back from a deployment to Thailand where there was no PT, and then having to run a PFT, I cut about 45 seconds off my runtime.

If it works for you, can't knock it, but typically, short breaths aren't good because your lungs are working harder and your body doesn't get to use that oxygen quite as efficiently. The more movement you're making (including your lungs and diaphragm, the more energy you're going to use.

NoRemorse
03-27-09, 12:52 PM
If it works for you, can't knock it, but typically, short breaths aren't good because your lungs are working harder and your body doesn't get to use that oxygen quite as efficiently. The more movement you're making (including your lungs and diaphragm, the more energy you're going to use.

Actually, the breath protocol the LCPL suggested is far more efficient than taking longer breaths on the inhale and exhale.

You don't use the majority of the oxygen... as in you can't absorb the majority of the oxygen you breathe in. You need the longer exhale because it flushes more toxins out of your system. It also helps to slow your heart; just not as much as a long inhale and exhale.

Short inhale, long exhale exerts more stress on the diaphragm which is better for training the lungs to operate under exertion. It can also be a good weight lifting protocol for those longer lifts that call for a sustained contraction which would result in you want to exhale longer instead of holding the breath.

The sharp inhale also pressurizes the abdomen and helps to protect the back which is important during running. It takes a while to get used to it because your natural response is to breathe fast and shallow on the inhale and exhale. Taking deep breaths on the inhale and exhale do more to slow down your heart beat. Putting special emphasis on the exhale is more important though because it flushes the crap out...

It's like a car engine; usually has enough vacuum to get the air/fuel mix in but not enough to get all the burnt up sh!t out... but that's another thread.

Try the LCPL's breathing advice, once you get used to it you get far less lactic acid build up and suffer less from DOMS.

JWG
03-27-09, 12:57 PM
Just got back from a quick 2 mile run and tried that method as I remembered reading it. Definitely is a habit, like all others, that will take time to get used to and make it routine. Very interesting now that the reasoning behind it was explained a bit. I like it and will start training with that. Thank you very much! :thumbup:

NoRemorse
03-27-09, 01:07 PM
Good to go, future poolee. It's also a good protocol for sprints.

Semper Fi.

JWDevilDog
03-27-09, 01:12 PM
NoRemorse,

Thanks for the backup on that one. I never knew the specifics of why it works, I just knew that since I started using it, I seem to breath better and not become "winded" as fast.

People always like to hear big words and complex reasons for things - with all that, it must be correct! Lol

NoRemorse
03-27-09, 01:17 PM
LOL, I'd hope it was correct, it worked for me too. Didn't like my legs burning and hurting for a couple days so I started thinking and thinking led to me having a headache so...

I forget where I'm going with this but I started using that too and it works for a lot of different exercises.

JWDevilDog
03-27-09, 01:20 PM
Rah. Carry on.

Lupo22
03-27-09, 01:31 PM
hmmm, i had a trainer tell me about the long breaths. then again, these guys get their certifications with a quick 20 minute class and a mail in application. its a joke. i stand corrected.

(although I still swear taking a deep breath when i start to get winded seems to help tremendously)

NoRemorse
03-27-09, 01:37 PM
hmmm, i had a trainer tell me about the long breaths. then again, these guys get their certifications with a quick 20 minute class and a mail in application. its a joke. i stand corrected.

(although I still swear taking a deep breath when i start to get winded seems to help tremendously)

Take every trainer with a grain of salt. The long in-out protocol is good for beginners looking to slow their heart rate down.... like for older folks or the deconditioned. I'd move to a short in-long out as soon as possible. Builds up strong lungs and helps your run.

You can also add a little upper torso bounce... when your foot hits the deck let your upper body go slack and drop a little into the rest of your torso, it will give you a shorter, more forceful exhale. Imagine shrugging your shoulders up and dropping everything from your head to your rib cage down on the rest of your abdomen.

Great way to relax and break it up during a long run. Gets rid of a lot of the stress in your upper back, arms and neck. It's awesome when trash like this becomes a habit. I don't even think about it anymore and automatically inhale into my abdomen all the time. Always breathe into and out of your gut.

mpellie
03-27-09, 05:43 PM
amazing...listening to the cpl..not sound advice if theres no proven science behind it

JWDevilDog
03-28-09, 12:40 AM
amazing...listening to the cpl..not sound advice if theres no proven science behind it

I'm having trouble seeing what you're getting at here. I'm thinkin' a hint of sarcasm, but it's hard to tell on the net.

Anyway, I listened to my Cpl because I know he has been running for much longer than I have, and he is a better runner. Clearly, something he does has been working. That's all the science I needed.

Petz
03-28-09, 12:47 AM
kids and Marines... there is a reason we call cadence while running in formation other than motivation.

it forces the effect of NoRemorse's science onto the runners... and that is why the ones not calling/repeating cadence are the ones falling out and/or fat bodies.

JWDevilDog
03-28-09, 01:10 AM
kids and Marines... there is a reason we call cadence while running in formation other than motivation.

it forces the effect of NoRemorse's science onto the runners... and that is why the ones not calling/repeating cadence are the ones falling out and/or fat bodies.

Very true. Another reason, although this doesn't benefit the runner really, is because it keeps the unit in step, and without looking like a bag of a**. Builds the esprit de corps, too.

mpellie
03-28-09, 12:29 PM
yes it was sarcasm,i do apologize...the reason your cpl swears by that technique is because hes already conditioned himself to run that way..just like you shouldnt run with your arms swinging like a monkey in front of your buddy,my Lt. still does this. People form bad habits and continue in these habits because there body (muscle memory) has already become accustomed to this.So even though it may be harder to do it correctly in the end youll be much happier and injury free...But what do I know..

Petz
03-28-09, 12:40 PM
... why would you add "...but what would i know.." at the end? it made you valid point look like a little ***** session after getting corrected.

mpellie
03-29-09, 10:39 AM
sorry, Ssgt..I meant 'what would i know'..because Im getting my MA in Human Performance and Sports and Im a certified personal trainer through ACSM...I mean Im by no means a PT stud but I know somethings about exercise

NoRemorse
03-29-09, 11:12 AM
yes it was sarcasm,i do apologize...the reason your cpl swears by that technique is because hes already conditioned himself to run that way..just like you shouldnt run with your arms swinging like a monkey in front of your buddy,my Lt. still does this. People form bad habits and continue in these habits because there body (muscle memory) has already become accustomed to this.So even though it may be harder to do it correctly in the end youll be much happier and injury free...But what do I know..

I'm confused; are you critiquing the technique or the "well try this, it works for me" mentality? Or both...