PDA

View Full Version : 0211 --Looking to Lat Move and need some help

JKane66
03-23-09, 09:49 PM
If anyone would be able to answer a couple of questions I would be extremely grateful.

I am currently a corporal in the reserves and have always wanted to try my hand at CI. Up until a week ago I had a good job as an engineer (luckily or unluckily) I was laid off and I am now unemployed and have nothing to lose by reenlisting and going for CI.
I have gleaned as much info as I can off of various sources including the official website of Marine Corps Intel and I know that I meet every requirement listed. I would just like to know in my head that I am putting in the best possible package.

My questions are:

1. What kind of PFT score are they looking for? Am I going to get laughed out of the room for anything less than a 285?

2. I am assuming that PME would be looked at and I will have Sgt's Distance Course complete in the next few weeks, should I have a couple of Intel MCI's completed to show that I am truly interested?

3. If anyone has ever lat moved into CI from reserves to active any advice on who to talk to would be greatly appreciated. The career planner, prior service recruiter, and neighborhood recruiter have had different answers.

Thank you for your time.

SSgt Ramsey
03-23-09, 10:16 PM
Wouldn't that be considered more of a augmentation vice LatMove??

I was a active Career Planner for a long time, and admittedly, didn't really work with reserves that much as you guys are controlled by RAM-5 vice the MMEA chain.

I'm thinking that logically, as with Latmoves on the active side, the Reserve's would have to agree to release you and subsequently be picked up by the active side and fully augmented.

JWDevilDog
03-24-09, 01:07 AM
I really don't have any answers to your questions, Cpl, but I just wanted to wish you the best of luck. Please keep me posted, as I am interested in lat-moving into CI/HUMINT in a year or less, as well. Obviously I have to get promoted first, but that should be coming within the year.

Good luck, Cpl.

jackson07
03-24-09, 09:40 PM
PFT- high first class is fine. PME- all complete for current grade. Anything above that is great. And actually you can be a senior lance and get accepted now.

jackson07
03-24-09, 09:46 PM
Also devildog, you have to be able to renlist in order to Lat move to CI. Just making sure you are aware of that.

JWDevilDog
03-25-09, 10:26 AM
Also devildog, you have to be able to renlist in order to Lat move to CI. Just making sure you are aware of that.

Yes, Cpl, I think I understand the requirement to have a certain amount of time left on one's active duty contract before the lat-move. I believe it's 36 months of obligated active service upon graduation from the school, and 24 upon graduation of DLI.

Given that I now have three years remaining on my active duty contract, I would more than likely have to re-enlist at my two year mark or extend with the intentions of lat-moving.

jackson07
03-25-09, 07:12 PM
You are going to have to have one year left on your contract before they let you reenlist. And after you lat move you aren't going to DLI right away. You will do at least one deployment first. The majority of CI Marines never go to DLI. I spent almost two years at DLI, and am doing my CI lat move currently. To help answer your questions call your local CI company, and allow them to help clear up some of your information.

Cryptic13
01-22-10, 10:02 AM
According to the 1st Intel Bn's website you can be a LCpl on your first term but you will have to re-enlist for an obligated time of 36 months remaining on contract after school. I would not consider applying until after your initial contract. The CI Marines on yor board will eat you up if you are inexperienced and immatre. I just lat moved into the 0211 MOS and am waiting to go to school. I can tell you that augmenting from the reserves might be a little difficult. PFT/PME that's all great, but what's going to help you on your board is going to be you. The CI/HUMINT Marines on your board are going to see if you are a capable Marine who isn't going to get Marines killed. They want to make sure you can get your job done.

JKane66
01-22-10, 12:52 PM
Thanks to everyone who replied. I actually had the board last August and got recommended. Unfortunately with the current restrictions on reenlistment and especially trying to transition from reserve to active I probably won't get anywhere till at least June.

Cryptic13
01-22-10, 01:20 PM
Good stuff, have they told you anything else, other than just being accepted?

Cryptic13
01-24-10, 11:06 AM
Did they tell you anything about going to an Intel Bn to OJT?