PDA

View Full Version : Mom's a Marine

thedrifter
03-23-09, 05:49 AM
Published March 22, 2009 11:21 pm - You could draw a line through Amber Houtz's life. On one side of the line, she is a well-trained lance corporal in the Marine Reserve and a prison guard. On the other side, she is the devoted mother of a 5-month-old baby girl nicknamed "Layneebug."

People in uniform: Mom's a Marine
Military training brought changes for the better

By Rob Scott
The Daily Item

NORTHUMBERLAND -- You could draw a line through Amber Houtz's life.

On one side of the line, she is a well-trained lance corporal in the Marine Reserve and a prison guard.

On the other side, she is the devoted mother of a 5-month-old baby girl nicknamed "Layneebug."

But the two sides often run together. Houtz, 23, doesn't think she'd have been ready for motherhood if it weren't for her military training and the level of discipline she gained from it. And her experience raising baby Alayna has made Houtz better at her day job as a guard at Northumberland County Prison, a job she probably wouldn't have if it weren't for her military experience.

"At the prison, I can relate to the prisoners more because many of them are mothers and fathers," she said. "When I was pregnant, they would always ask me how I was doing."

Boot camp changes

Houtz has experienced a handful of huge life experiences all within the past few years -- new job, new baby, entering the military -- and it's hard to tell which has shaped her the most. But her mother, Vergie Heim, said Amber was a different person when she left the Marines.

"When we went to Parris Island for graduation, we could immediately see a change in Amber. You could just tell by the way she carried herself," Vergie said. "It was still our Amber, but she definitely had some difference in her, and it was for the good."

Funny thing is, Houtz never intended to be a Marine, never thought about being in the military.

"I hadn't really thought about it in high school, but this recruiter kept calling and calling, so I invited him over," she said. "He made it sound real good, because recruiters always make it sound good."

Houtz was intrigued. "I've always wanted to challenge myself," she said.

When her mother asked "Why the Marines?" Houtz's response was, "It's the toughest branch."

�It pushed me'

But Houtz hesitated. After high school, she attended Edinboro University for two years, studying photography and journalism. But it wasn't for her, she said, and so she enrolled in boot camp at Parris Island in June 2006. After graduating from boot camp in October 2006, she spent two months in Marine combat training.

"It pushed me, showed me what I could do, physically and mentally," she said.

Military training brought changes for the better
By Rob Scott
The Daily Item

Houtz has five years of service left in the Marine Reserve. At any point during that time, she could be called up for deployment. Away from home, away from her family, away from Alayna.

Houtz spends one weekend a month attending drills. And though she knew what she was getting into, it's hard leaving her daughter behind, even though she's being watched by family, Houtz said.

"I hate being away from her ... I worry more so now than before (about being deployed)," she said. But "it's my job ... Not that I wouldn't be scared."

n E-mail comments to rscott@dailyitem.com.

Ellie