View Full Version : Drill will honor WWII vets

thedrifter
03-23-09, 04:54 AM
Posted on Mon, Mar. 23, 2009
Drill will honor WWII vets
BY WHITNEY HODGIN
The Wichita Eagle

Young Marines to re-enact Bataan Death March

Trevor Anderson says he would have long hair and Derrik McLean admits his grades would be worse if they weren't members of the Tornado Alley Young Marines. Instead, the two Wichita teens have volunteered to travel with their unit to White Sands, N.M., this week to honor World War II veterans by participating in the Bataan Memorial Death March.

Of the 300 units of Young Marines across the country -- three of which are in Kansas -- the Tornado Alley unit is the only one that attends the march. This will be the fourth year it has participated.

" (The veterans) had to walk with no food and no shoes, getting tortured and killed the whole way," said Cpl. Derrik McLean, 15. "If they did that for us, we should be able to do a 26.2-mile march with water and food to honor them."

The Young Marines program is a nonprofit educational group with more than 1,000 male and female members between the ages of 8 and 18. The organization's motto is "Strengthening the lives of America's youth." It will celebrate its 50th anniversary in April.

A 13-week boot camp introduces new recruits to the standards of excellence in academics, physical activity and a Drug Demand Reduction program, among others, that are required for Young Marines. They learn about Marine history, close order drill, physical fitness and military rank structure, Anderson said.

"We don't stress that they join the military, we just promote the military lifestyle, as in leadership and discipline and teamwork, stuff we learned while we were in the Marines," said Robert Anderson, the group's commanding officer.

A former Marine, Anderson learned of the program through an advertisement in The Eagle and attended a meeting with his wife and 11-year-old son, Trevor. Now 17, Gunnery Sgt. Trevor Anderson is the highest-ranking member of his unit.

He said his first day at boot camp was intimidating but inspiring.

"The sharpness of the instructors made us want to be like them," Trevor said.

Growing up as a Young Marine has given Trevor, a junior at Maize High School, perspective.

"Younger kids think the program is fun, but when you turn 16 it opens so many doors," he said. "It makes you credible. Coaches and employers like to see that, and scholarships and useful resources" come from the experience.

McLean, a sophomore at Goddard High School, hopes his dedication to the program will help him get into college, specifically the Naval Academy.

McLean is aware that his involvement in Young Marines affects those around him.

"It's a big reputation thing," McLean said. "You get a better image in the community. My friends look up to me, my teachers respect me -- there's a sense of pride."

The unit re-enacts the Iwo Jima flag raising and a fallen soldier ceremony at memorial events. It also volunteers at the Veterans of Foreign Wars facility and routinely cleans Veterans' Memorial Park in downtown Wichita, which it refers to as sacred ground.

While the program does receive some federal funding, most of the organization's fundraising is its own responsibility. Luckily, members said people who recognize them are more willing to assist.

"Even when it's hard to make money, I've noticed when you go door to door in this community they donate something," Trevor said.

Ellie