PDA

View Full Version : A week before departing for Marines, Allgood claims Dogwood Classic title

thedrifter
03-23-09, 04:52 AM
March 23, 2009
A week before departing for Marines, Allgood claims Dogwood Classic title

By Bob Tompkins
btompkins@thetowntalk.com

TIOGA -- It's a long way from the Timber Trails to Parris Island, S.C., but it might just look like a long dogleg right now for Michael Allgood.

Justin Lowe and Allgood, lifelong friends who will be separated next week, had three straight birdies and an eagle on four consecutive front-nine holes and ran away with an eight-stroke victory Sunday for the championship of the 40th annual Dogwood Classic four-ball tournament.

Allgood, 25, is a former Louisiana College golfer who leaves next week for a 13-week boot camp at the Marine Corps Depot at Parris Island -- the first step, he hopes, to becoming an officer in the Marine Corps.

"They offer things I need right now, like direction and discipline," said Allgood of his decision to join the Marines.

"I phone Justin and we talked about me going," said Allgood, who has played only three or four rounds of golf in the past year, "and I said, 'Let's play golf before I leave.' And here we are."

The twosome shot back-to-back rounds of 65 for a 14-under-par total of 130, eight shots better than defending champions Dusty Green and Danny Higdon (69-69--138), who finished as a distant runner-up.

The hot early stretch Sunday was Lowe's early birthday gift for Allgood, whose birthday is in two weeks. With his team already enjoying a 4-stroke cushion after the first round, Lowe overcame the team's lone bogey Sunday on the first hole with birdies at holes 5, 6 and 7 and then a chip-in for eagle at No. 8.

After that, it was all over but the shouting.

"We talked about it yesterday, that if we can start the first four holes even, 5 through 9 would be an easier stretch where we might be able to make some things happen," said Lowe, who had a chance at an eagle putt at 5 but two-putted for birdie.

He drove the dogleg-right sixth green and birdied, chipped to within 4 feet for a birdie at 7 and then chipped in from 10 yards off the green at No. 8 for an eagle.

"I'm just happy we were able to get on a roll there," said Lowe, a former Louisiana-Lafayette golfer who won the National Amateur Golf Tournament title last fall.

"I haven't played but three or four times since the Nationals," said Lowe, "but my girlfriend has been kind of pushing me to get back into it, so Michael and I played this tournament. It's like I never left."

Lowe, who has hopes of turning pro in a few years, said the victory made sweet a round of golf that may be the friends' last together until who knows when.

"He's going his way, and I support him, and I may be moving on before too long to practice pretty seriously," Lowe said. "It was definitely fun this weekend to enjoy the game, the weather and our friendship."
Additional Facts
Championship Flight Prizewinners

Lowe-Allgood 65-65--130

Higdon-Green 69-69--138

K.P. Miles-Pierson 72-71--143

Parsons-Gingras 71-72--143

Bates-Bates 69-74--143

Ellie