PDA

View Full Version : The suicide question

LokiPA
03-22-09, 11:37 PM
I have a simple, straightforward question.

When you enlist in the military you are apparently asked this question in the mental analysis: "Have you ever had suicidal thoughts before?" (or something along those lines)

Is answering "yes" to this question an automatic DQ no matter the context, no ifs ands or buts about it? Is there no waiver available for this?

I would be interesting in knowing not only the Marine Corps policy on this, but other branches of service as well.

Thank you for the information, and I hope I filled out my profile correct enough to recieve a reply.

thewookie
03-23-09, 05:26 AM
I would go ask a recruiter this question: my initial gut reaction is you might be done, or at least be required to give a real good explanation, (along with supporting documentation from a MD) and a real good reason why the Marine Corps should give you/ anyone a weapon and/ or access to weapons/ammo/explosives, if you are/ or have been mentally unstable.

But, I would speak to a recruiter.

SSgt Ramsey
03-23-09, 06:21 AM
Speaking from a humanistic standpoint, if you have had these thoughts in the past, regardless of the entrance into the Marine's or any other branch, get some help or talk to somebody you trust soon!! There's help available to you if you have these thoughts or feelings, seek it out.

Achped
03-23-09, 06:38 AM
When you enlist in the military you are apparently asked this question in the mental analysis: "Have you ever had suicidal thoughts before?" (or something along those lines)

Is answering "yes" to this question an automatic DQ no matter the context, no ifs ands or buts about it? Is there no waiver available for this?

There may be a waiver, but there shouldn't be.

LokiPA
03-23-09, 10:27 AM
The suicide history actually isn't on my medical records nor legal history - I was never committed, and I never saw a doctor. I've never been treated for it nor was I on meds. However, let's just say there is some documentation that exists that the military might have access to which makes mention of a threat I made many years ago, which was not a serious threat by the way (the regret I had for making it is also documented).

I suppose you guys are right, this is something I need to take up with a recruiter. I am just nervous because on the one hand, I don't want to lie, but on the other I don't want to completely shut my doors on the military because I have a 'gut-feeling' that I should mention something that is an extremely small part of my time on this earth and I know personally is not a problem.

Thanks for the replies.

commdog7
03-23-09, 11:53 AM
Just check 'yes'. They will probably ask you about it and you can go ahead and explain. It would be the safest route to take, both for your future and the Corps in general.

thewookie
03-23-09, 12:01 PM
The suicide history actually isn't on my medical records nor legal history - I was never committed, and I never saw a doctor. I've never been treated for it nor was I on meds. However, let's just say there is some documentation that exists that the military might have access to which makes mention of a threat I made many years ago, which was not a serious threat by the way (the regret I had for making it is also documented).

I suppose you guys are right, this is something I need to take up with a recruiter. I am just nervous because on the one hand, I don't want to lie, but on the other I don't want to completely shut my doors on the military because I have a 'gut-feeling' that I should mention something that is an extremely small part of my time on this earth and I know personally is not a problem.

I understand what you're saying here but lying, misleading, or avoiding the issue will not make it go away. Get your issue on the table and deal with it early on and you'll be happier in the end that you did. They (active duty Marine Recruiters) are the only people who can give you the black and white answer that you desire. Because "they" know the current regulations and how it applies to each situation.

I would not try and hide it, no matter how small or irrelevant that you think it might be; you might get a way with it in the short-term, but your starting your enlistment on the fraud step and that's not the good step.

If the USMC won't take you I bet another branch will, so the truth might shut the door to the Marine Corps, but you might not shut it to another branch.

Good luck.

TTX
03-23-09, 12:08 PM
Did you ever attempt to commit suicide or not? What circumtances or who made fill out that document?

LokiPA
03-23-09, 02:31 PM
Did you ever attempt to commit suicide or not?

No.

It was an idle threat, and I regretted it minutes later. That regret was also documented.

TTX
03-23-09, 02:36 PM
No.

It was an idle threat, and I regretted it minutes later. That regret was also documented.

What is idle threat? when was it happened and how old are you now? And do you have a copy of that document?

LokiPA
03-23-09, 03:02 PM
Idle threat = something I said out of anger and frustration

It happened 3 years ago when I was in high school, and yes I have a copy of the document.

TTX
03-23-09, 03:29 PM
So you didn't hold anything that will inflict yourself such as knife or weapon while other people trying to stop you? And I figure you didn't take any pills to overdose yourself? And you didn't say anything like "I will kill myself! or I'll jump out the window!" or anything that people have to supress you and prevent you from hurting yourself? And if the document that you have doen't say anything about you commit suicide?

If it is non of the obove, and to me, I don't think it is suicidal.