PDA

View Full Version : NRTOC Predicament

bstewar09
03-22-09, 12:24 PM
I enlisted into the DEP when I was seventeen so I needed my parents consent. Part of the deal I cut with them, well mostly my mom, was that I would apply for the NROTC scholarship with the Marine...

rvillac2
03-22-09, 03:16 PM
The Master Gunny does not have to discharge you. Explain the situation to him.

bstewar09
03-22-09, 05:52 PM
Problem solved, the Captain in charge of the NROTC of the recruiting area said that they are not going to screw people over who have showed enough of a desire to be a Marine that they both enlisted...

TTX
03-22-09, 07:21 PM
Something does not sound right here! Normally, enlist recruiting and NROTC scholarship are two seperate entities. You can apply for NROTC scholarship when you are in HS, and you got to be the...

bstewar09
03-22-09, 07:57 PM
Staff Sergeant,

I talked to both a Enlistment recruiter and an officer selection recruiter. My enlistment recruiter encouraged me to try for NROTC as well because he tried for it but didn't get it because of the PFT.

TTX
03-22-09, 08:06 PM
It sounds to me your recruiter was processing you for enlistment. What was your PFT score and and MEPS said about your astigmatism?

bstewar09
03-22-09, 08:12 PM
On my PFT I was just a few points below a first class. When I took it I was in the middle of football season and I was an offensive lineman, not the best build for running a PFT. But I passed the enlistment physical with something like 3.25 diopters of astigmatism in each eye. But I guess it is standard operating procedure to have a consult for anyone over 3.00 diopters to get checked for some rare eye disease. So MEPS said I was good to go for enlistment. However, I read the anything about 3.00 diopters are disqualifying for selection for NROTC.

TTX
03-22-09, 08:19 PM
I am still don't understand why both your recruiter and the OSO told you to try for NROTC, and then they make you do PFT and physical at MEPS?

O.k., I guess the recruiter talked to you about NROTC when you were seventeen, and how old are you now? When did you take the PFT and physical?

bstewar09
03-22-09, 08:31 PM
Well my brother did the NROTC thing but he was in it for the money and dropped out after his freshman year, so thats how my parents knew about and wouldn't sign my papers until I agreed to apply for it.

I ran the PFT at Offutt AFB near Omaha. I am eighteen now. I took the PFT in Novemeber, but took the enlistment physical at MEPS in July when I joined the DEP.

My recruiter really didn't mind that I applied for NROTC because he has more than enough people signed up already.

The enlistment physical and officer physical are taken apart from each other because there are some different standards. I have yet to take the officer physical.

bstewar09
03-22-09, 08:32 PM
But I should add that I just want to be a Marine, whether it be officer or enlisted

TTX
03-22-09, 08:41 PM
A few more questions before I jump into my conclusion. you didn't aswere me when did you do the PFT and Physical? Did your recruiter give you a ship date yet? And you are out of HS now?

bstewar09
03-22-09, 08:44 PM
I was eighteen at the time I did the PFT in November for NROTC. I was seventeen when I took the enlistment physical. I have yet to take the NROTC physical. My shipdate is July 6th. I am still in HS, I graduate in May.

TTX
03-22-09, 08:55 PM
You took the PFT your NROTC and who are those people? Is it the Marine Corps Recruiter?

And about the OSO, they normally don't do any thing until you are a Junior or Senior in college.

bstewar09
03-22-09, 09:00 PM
Sorry, I got the titles mixed up. The Captain that observed my PFT is the XO of the recruiting district. I have only been selected for the NRTOC scholarship based on my PFT and my HS transcripts, letters of recommendation etc.

My enlistment recruiter is a Sargeant

TTX
03-22-09, 09:11 PM
Who are those people told you that you are selected for NROTC? Did they give you any document to sign?

bstewar09
03-22-09, 09:14 PM
The Captain that I did my PFT with told my recruiter, my recruiter told me. I also got an email from the NRTOC website. I signed some documents during my interview with the Captain, but it was mostly stuff saying I have never taken illegal drugs and that all the stuff in my application was true to the best of my knowledge etc.

TTX
03-22-09, 09:31 PM
Well, I am not sure why the same people are dealing with your enlistment and NROTC packages unless that is how they do their business where you at. Again, Marines enlist recruiting and NROTC are two different entities, and what you go through I never heard of before. It sounds to me they were procesing you for enlistment because NROTC is different People and different procedures. And I don't see anything wrong with enlist since you already have ship date.