PDA

View Full Version : airwing to grunt

retread09
03-22-09, 11:39 AM
I've been out since Sep 03 after five years swinging in the wing in avionics. I'm waiting on my dd214 to go active duty and am getting positive feedback from the recruiter that I will defninitely be back in uniform. Anyways I had dragged my feet while in the wing and got out as a Corporal when I definitely could have made Sergeant like most my peers. Supposedly I will go back in as a Corporal. I loved being a Marine but was very disilussioned when I realized that most the slobs I worked with who were good techs could have gave a damn about the green side of things. I want to go to 0311..or at least as far from slackers as possible. It's more important to me to be a Marine than to have a certain technical job. Has anyone on this forum made the jump from airwing to grunt. I know guys who have done the reverse. Yeah I can safely assume it will be a culture shock going to SOI after being a civilizan for so long, but other than than what can I expect? Going to this field as a Corporal wouldn't be quite as bad as going in as a boot private....but in the eyes of 0311 I technically would be a boot (since patrolling has **** to do with avionics) But like anything else, if you want something bad enough you can get it. Any input is appreciated...oh yeah when I got out I had never done this martial arts training...when would I get to do that?

devildog219
03-22-09, 04:40 PM
Just recently when I went through SOI, we had two Corporals from the air wing doing lat moves so its possible. I dont know what they had to do and how hard it was to switch, but it is possible. A recruiter would probably be able to tell you more about it.

GSEMarine94
03-22-09, 05:33 PM
When I had to report for my annual IRR musters I had to do it at a grunt reserve unit. At the time they were always ready to reenlist Marines from other MOS's, a Marine I met during one of these musters became a reserve grunt (was a motor-t Marine before). So I know it can be done, but the thing you need to remember is that it doesn't matter if your a grunt or a winger, there will always be slackers, what matters is how you as an NCO deals with them. Good luck and Semper Fi.

odc25
03-22-09, 06:02 PM
Ok so im not gonna lie to you in the 03 field you will sit around more than ne other job in the marines and life will be boring and you will do some training here and there then you will deploy thats about how life goes oh and life is no fun as a grunt if we dont complain we arent happy but let me tell you this much you will have a lot of work to do coming from the airwing into a grunt unit .. we dont accept just ne one

odc25
03-22-09, 06:03 PM
oh and most likely you will do your MCMAP once you get to your unit if they have an MAI or you will remain a web belt all dependant on the unit and their schedules

retread09
03-22-09, 10:10 PM
nice

retread09
03-22-09, 10:14 PM
Ok so im not gonna lie to you in the 03 field you will sit around more than ne other job in the marines and life will be boring and you will do some training here and there then you will deploy thats about how life goes oh and life is no fun as a grunt if we dont complain we arent happy but let me tell you this much you will have a lot of work to do coming from the airwing into a grunt unit .. we dont accept just ne one

Yeah it would be enough of a challenge coming from the wing, but I have also been out for 5 years....I'll have to really make sure it's what I want before I take it on...that's why I'm trying to learn as much as I can now.

HurricaneRJ
03-23-09, 09:01 AM
What specific questions do you have??

retread09
03-23-09, 12:33 PM
What specific questions do you have??
We'll, I was kinda looking for someone who either themselves made the transition or knew someone who had (from wing to 0311),,,or at the least had entered soi after a "vacation" from the Corps. But in your case, Lance Corporal, what can I expect at soi on a daily basis and what could I do to prepare(since I have been out for 5 years)...thanks for your time.

HurricaneRJ
03-23-09, 12:43 PM
When I went to SOI last year this time. We had three NCOs.

1. Engineer going 0311
1. 0311 going 0352
1. Chief Petty Officer. Needed SOI for Riverrine training.

They were all in good physical condition, despite their ages. We learned a lot from them, and we all looked up to them and the Combat Instructors expect a lot out of them. They never had nothing hard, they got liberty everyday, no firewatch in the field, and basically were treated more like Marines than 4th Phase Recruits.

Now as far as training goes, you can look that up online. Personally I hated SOI until I hit my MOS training to become an 0311. Thats when stuff got fun. But since your a retread, nothing is hard and all the responsibility is put on the Junior Marines. All I would suggest is PT your ass off, and get used to stand-by to stand the **** by. A lot of late nights and early mornings.

retread09
03-23-09, 07:59 PM
When I went to SOI last year this time. We had three NCOs.

1. Engineer going 0311
1. 0311 going 0352
1. Chief Petty Officer. Needed SOI for Riverrine training.

They were all in good physical condition, despite their ages. We learned a lot from them, and we all looked up to them and the Combat Instructors expect a lot out of them. They never had nothing hard, they got liberty everyday, no firewatch in the field, and basically were treated more like Marines than 4th Phase Recruits.

Now as far as training goes, you can look that up online. Personally I hated SOI until I hit my MOS training to become an 0311. Thats when stuff got fun. But since your a retread, nothing is hard and all the responsibility is put on the Junior Marines. All I would suggest is PT your ass off, and get used to stand-by to stand the **** by. A lot of late nights and early mornings.

Thanks for the input

MT3533
04-08-09, 02:47 PM
I have also tossed the idea around about seeing if I can re-enlist to the reserves as an 03. I will have to call my PSR to see if it is possible in my case.

Alisium
04-08-09, 03:10 PM
I have also tossed the idea around about seeing if I can re-enlist to the reserves as an 03. I will have to call my PSR to see if it is possible in my case.

That's easy.

Just pick a local grunt unit and go. When I was with A co 4th LAR we had three or four prior active pogs join and get NCO' billets even. It was just up to the rest of us to spin them up.

If you're reserves and non-ob the Marine Corps is so fluid and easy to get around.

bhanse
04-08-09, 10:29 PM
I sent 3 years as a 0331 got out for 5 years went back in as a helo mech and crew chief. I spent another 20 yrs in the wing and as a 1st Sgt before I retired....The very best times of my life in the Marine Corps....the relationships, the hardships, the petty b/s, sleeping in the rain and mud, fighting in the rain and the mud, suffering in the heat....we all suffered and enjoyed all of these things TOGETHER!...I remember more names and experiences from that short 3 year period than during the 20 years I spent in the wing....When people say a grunt will die for his brother grunt is the truth....there is no higher calling then to be a grunt....every other MOS in the Corps supports the 03...think about it. bhansen

rheinmark187
04-20-09, 05:02 PM
Just recently when I went through SOI, we had two Corporals from the air wing doing lat moves so its possible. I dont know what they had to do and how hard it was to switch, but it is possible. A recruiter would probably be able to tell you more about it.

Some are just motivated to change MOS. If they were trying to get into Recon or Force Recon, they used to have to go to SOI. I believed that changed a few years back.

rheinmark187
04-20-09, 05:05 PM
I sent 3 years as a 0331 got out for 5 years went back in as a helo mech and crew chief. I spent another 20 yrs in the wing and as a 1st Sgt before I retired....The very best times of my life in the Marine Corps....the relationships, the hardships, the petty b/s, sleeping in the rain and mud, fighting in the rain and the mud, suffering in the heat....we all suffered and enjoyed all of these things TOGETHER!...I remember more names and experiences from that short 3 year period than during the 20 years I spent in the wing....When people say a grunt will die for his brother grunt is the truth....there is no higher calling then to be a grunt....every other MOS in the Corps supports the 03...think about it. bhansen

There are some nice Air Bases though, right First Sergeant?

I spent a little time around the Air Wing's training area in Pensacola and it was a little "top gun" kind of like a vacation. I would guess it's much different in the fleet, but I sometimes think the Air Wing is as different from let's say Ground Combat Support (really sucks) than Infantry is to support MOS.

Just a totally different lifestyle. But this was pre-9/11 Marine Corps when I was down there. It's all different now, I think the Marine Corps is a lot better actually.