PDA

View Full Version : Jonathon Winters,Comedian & Actor

benny rutledge
07-01-03, 11:56 AM
Mr.Jonathon Winters passed on last night(30 June o3)I believe he was a veteran of the Second World War and a Veteran Marine.Anyone up on this and have the facts on Mr.Winters?

MillRatUSMC
07-01-03, 01:46 PM
http://www.culturevulture.net/Television/jonathanwinters.jpg

Winters, Jonathan
1925 --
Comedian.
Born November 11, 1925, in Dayton, Ohio.

My note; What a great day for a birthday, especially a Marine!

After serving with the Marines during World War II, Winters moved to New York, where he began performing in comedy clubs. His talent for mimicry and invention of a wide range of characters won him his first television appearance on The Gary Moore Show (1954). From 1955 to 1957, he starred in his own 15 minute television show—The Jonathan Winters Show, but became better known for his frequent appearances on The Tonight Show and The Jack Paar Show in the late 1950s. After quitting the nightclub circuit in the early 1960s, Winters began to concentrate on his television career with frequent appearances on The Steve Allen Show, The Andy Williams Show, and his own television specials. In 1963, Winters made his cinematic debut as a treasure-hunting mechanic in the screwball comedy It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World.
In 1981, Winters joined the cast of the popular sitcom Mork and Mindy, which starred Robin Williams and Pam Dawber. In 1994, he appeared with Alec Baldwin in the fantasy-adventure The Shadow and with an ensemble that included Elizabeth Taylor, Halle Berry, Rosie O’Donnell, and John Goodman in The Flintstones. Winters’ most recent film project was the big-budget family comedy The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle (2000), which featured performances by Robert DeNiro, Rene Russo, and Jason Alexander.
Considered a distinguished voice actor, Winters has contributed to numerous cartoons including The Smurfs, The Little Prince, Paul Bunyan, and Peter and The Wolf.

May Jonathan Winters USMC Rest In Peace.

Semper Fidelis
Ricardo

PS I wasn't able to located what unit or units he served with.

Barrio_rat
07-01-03, 02:13 PM
I saw a show about him on the Biography channel the other night. Said he was an aid to a General and did some stand up comedy for the troops - I guess where he found his calling. What a great comedian!

wrbones
07-01-03, 02:32 PM
Typica; Marine. He set the standard followed by such people as Robin Williams and Jim Carry who have said that they consider Jonathan Winters the best comedian who ever lived.

Kurt Stover
07-01-03, 05:46 PM
I see nothing in the newspapers about this....

benny rutledge
07-02-03, 12:05 PM
My fault guys,the wife gave me bad scoop and I didn't check it out (shame on me)Mr.Winters IS alive and well,It was Mr.BUDDY HACKETT who passed on from a Kidney related failure.My sincere apologies to the Winters family and the Leatherneck community who read my erronious post.Excellent Biography MILLRATUSMC,nice work.I personnaly like Mr.Winters in IT,S A MAD,MAD,MAD,MAD,WORLD.He was hysterical,I laughed till it hurt,todays "Comedians"can not hold a candle to the old timers.I give you ART CARNEY & JACKIE GLEASON,how bout' JOHNNY CARSON? Semper Fi !!!

Kurt Stover
07-02-03, 12:59 PM
Cool Beans!

Super Dave
07-02-03, 01:01 PM
That's what we get for believing scuttlebutt!!

Kurt Stover
07-02-03, 01:04 PM
Super Dave, I'm just down the street from you. I'm working over at the Raytheon on Jupiter and Miller in Garland....don't live here, up north in McK. Small world.

MillRatUSMC
07-02-03, 01:58 PM
I thought it was Mr.Buddy Hackett.
Yet at this moment many are dying.
So I thought Jonathan Winters USMC might have joined many in the ranks guarding the pearly gates.

Semper Fidelis
Ricardo

sgt.r.n.davis
06-13-05, 07:55 PM
THAT'S RIGHT ! BUDDY DIED ,NOT WINTERS. WINTERS LIVING IN CALIFORNIA. :banana: :D