PDA

View Full Version : Military offers a path for the uncertain

thedrifter
03-22-09, 08:15 AM
Helping Kids Win in the Classroom by Robin Sarantos: Military offers a path for the uncertain
BY ROBIN SARANTOS
Special to The Miami Herald

Graduation is just around the corner. Your senior has not applied to college and has no job prospects lined up.

Even worse, your son or daughter is uncertain as to a career path. There is no ''Plan A,'' let alone a ``Plan B.''

As parents you are concerned. But there is a way to ensure that your young adult starts a solid future.

They can enter the military service route. All five branches -- the U.S. Air Force, Army, Marines, Navy and Coast Guard -- welcome graduating seniors who are physically and mentally fit with strong character.

The military offers leadership development and real world experiences.

Just look at how the military made a difference to retired Navy Capt. William V. Best of Palmetto Bay.

''I'd always wanted to fly,'' he said, ``and I hadn't really decided on a career. I earned my wings and commission and learned to appreciate the training and opportunities. I liked the Navy's policy of basing promotions on performance.''

In the Coast Guard, there are specialized areas such as information technology, aviation, administration and law enforcement.

Semper Fidelis. Always Faithful. Young people who enlist in the Marine Corps become confident, resourceful and highly adaptive. While training for their job selection, high standards and high expectations are the rule.

The Navy guarantees high tech adventure, nuclear propulsion, cutting-edge computers and ''the most advanced systems on the planet.'' Right out of high school your graduate is offered training to serve in one of 60 high-growth fields from aviation mechanics to computer programming and engineering. In addition, the Navy offers communications, linguistics, special operations and medical technology.

The Army trains and equips soldiers while creating leaders. More than 4,000 job options exist in the Army.

The United States Air Force offers many job training areas. Mechanical careers abound with education and aerospace apprenticeships in ground equipment, maintenance as well as propulsion, air traffic control, air transportation and aircraft armament systems. There are careers in electrical, environmental and fuel systems.

Administrative jobs include aviation resources, management, logistics, personnel, radio communication and traffic management. The website www.airforce.com highlights 60 careers, from aerospace control and warning systems to medical service.

The military can help young people gain skills while motivating them to set goals and objectives. Those who join the military become part of a professional team with numerous opportunities for advancement.

Benefits are real and there is a good retirement plan. Job security is important -- especially now.

Encourage your son or daughter to consider joining the finest military in the world. Allow them to help keep America free.

Robin Sarantos, Ph.D., is retired from the Miami-Dade Public Schools where she had been a counselor at Coral Reef High. Send questions or suggestions for future columns to The Miami Herald, 7300 Kendall Dr., Suite 200, Miami FL 33156 or e-mail her at rsarantos@aol.com.

Ellie