PDA

View Full Version : Aviation Electronics Technition

yoitsfrank
03-21-09, 06:46 PM
Hello Marines and fellow poolees.

I tried searching for my MOS here. Does anyone have any information on this MOS? From the information I gathered...

BA- Aviation Electronics Technition
5900 Electronics Maintenance
6300/6400 Aviation Electronics
6600 Aviation Logistics

So what would really help is Where the MOS school is located? and What is the basics?

Thank you.

ghost3000
03-21-09, 10:42 PM
I'm a 5974. MOS school is in 29 Palms, CA. 6300/6400 school is in Pensacola, Fl.

commdog7
03-22-09, 05:12 AM
I worked with a bunch of 5937/5939s at my last unit. There is only about three units they can be stationed at in the Corps, so it is a very tight group. Don't expect to fly or even work directly with aircraft/equipment, you will be in the wing but far far away from all the aircraft. They went to school in beautiful 29 Palms, same as I did.

retread09
03-22-09, 11:56 AM
If you're going to go airwing (I was 6332) make sure that your priorities are around 80/20 as far as technical work/actually being a Marine....sorry if this is discouraging but I wish someone would have told me. You can be gungho, runn a 285 pft and shoot expert, but you could have a fat, *****in, corporal telling you what to do. The squadron needs quality technicians and everything else is a FAR second. I'm just saying it's next to impossible to stay motivated. I'm probably going to go back in 0311 and take my lumps. I want the rest of my career to be different. It is all about the perspective though. The Corps needs these positions (6300) filled, and your job is important, and you might find that you love the job and doing and that pting twice a year, shooting a rifle once a year, and occasional inspections is enough to leave you fulfilled.

StoneTheWeak
03-24-09, 09:41 AM
I'm a 5974. MOS school is in 29 Palms, CA. 6300/6400 school is in Pensacola, Fl.

Wrong. I'm 5900 in Pensacola sitting on the ****ter in my barracks room as I'm typing this lol. The corps does it differently now. If you're aviation the number doesn't matter until you get stranded up at your basic MOS school. We all take ATT then go to either O strand, I strand, or AE. From there you go to a C school for your specific aircraft which can be anywhere. The numbers exist only for organizational purposes and are subject to change once you are done with ATT. From what I've been told 5900 is mostly ground electronics related to the aviation field, such as MATC. But I'm probably going to AE with an O strand C school for F-18's. It really all depends.

As for the school and base here, it sucks. They have a rope around our balls so tight its hard to breathe. Don't let anyone fool you into thinking you are going to have a car or you can be out all weekend and weeknights as long as youre back to class the next day. Not how it works. Recruiter told me that **** and was dead ****in wrong. Don't count on having a chance to get a car till you hit the fleet, unless you get MATC. It's an Aviation C school and its 9 months long. Pensacola itself is a nice enough town, but expensive as **** cause to go downtown to like the mall or the beach will cost you a 15-20 dollar taxi cab fare there. Then back. You have to sign out with a minimum of 2 other people to leave base or to go around base in proper civilian attire. From what I hear if you go to 29 stumps, it's not AS bad. But then again its still a desert. The women here are hot as well, but thats only good if you're single. Or if you're taken and just a ****bag. Either or. Our command likes NJP's. Alot. But hes switching over to court martials for alot of stuff now to get the message across. Anything else you'd like to know about wonderful NAS Pensacola I'm a PM away.

giveen
03-24-09, 09:49 AM
I've worked with 6694's. They were basically computer techs like me, 0651

retread09
03-24-09, 12:08 PM
Wrong. I'm 5900 in Pensacola sitting on the ****ter in my barracks room as I'm typing this lol. The corps does it differently now. If you're aviation the number doesn't matter until you get stranded up at your basic MOS school. We all take ATT then go to either O strand, I strand, or AE. From there you go to a C school for your specific aircraft which can be anywhere. The numbers exist only for organizational purposes and are subject to change once you are done with ATT. From what I've been told 5900 is mostly ground electronics related to the aviation field, such as MATC. But I'm probably going to AE with an O strand C school for F-18's. It really all depends.

As for the school and base here, it sucks. They have a rope around our balls so tight its hard to breathe. Don't let anyone fool you into thinking you are going to have a car or you can be out all weekend and weeknights as long as youre back to class the next day. Not how it works. Recruiter told me that **** and was dead ****in wrong. Don't count on having a chance to get a car till you hit the fleet, unless you get MATC. It's an Aviation C school and its 9 months long. Pensacola itself is a nice enough town, but expensive as **** cause to go downtown to like the mall or the beach will cost you a 15-20 dollar taxi cab fare there. Then back. You have to sign out with a minimum of 2 other people to leave base or to go around base in proper civilian attire. From what I hear if you go to 29 stumps, it's not AS bad. But then again its still a desert. The women here are hot as well, but thats only good if you're single. Or if you're taken and just a ****bag. Either or. Our command likes NJP's. Alot. But hes switching over to court martials for alot of stuff now to get the message across. Anything else you'd like to know about wonderful NAS Pensacola I'm a PM away.

Hillarious, when i first got there we were allowed to buy vehicles. This fellow newbie told me about this wonderfull place that you could get a car guaranteed like he did. I think we all know how this story goes. 26% interest later...we'll you get the picture. They command sent down some kind of order saying that we had to get approval from...a staff nco if I remember right??? ....before we could purchase a car and bring it on base. After I was already dumb enough to get screwed. ...I don't know if they still do it but there was some kind of deal where the fresh lt's who didn't know what they were doing got a chance to lead a bunch of newbie enlisted that didn't know what they were going. They would run our asses off though...good times

StoneTheWeak
03-24-09, 04:01 PM
Col. Thomas put an end to that ****. Unless you're an MATC Marine or this a duty station for you, no POV's. However there is a Sergeant here that's currently enrolled in ATT, and I doubt they told HIM he couldn't have a POV. Probably be a little hard to make an NCO take that on his second term of enlistment and expect a smile out of him. The reason only MATC gets a POV is because they're the only ones here who are here for over 6 months, supposedly... Cause there's a lance corporal who left a month ago who was here for over 2 years on Med Hold. Oh, but, the navy gets a POV. Once they've been here 4 weeks they get to go out, on there own, all weekend, friday to sunday, without signing out with other sailors, and get a POV, if they want.

A were all grown men and women they say, and more responsible. Bah, big green weanie strikes again, I'm gettin mad just talking about it lol

commdog7
03-24-09, 04:18 PM

Your mos school doesn't sound half as bad as mine at 29 Palms. No, we didn't have cars either, but if we wanted to go out into town, it would cost us at least $75 to pay for a taxi ONE-WAY! The nearest town was 30 miles out, Yucca Valley, and probably the best part about it is it had a Walmart and a small movie theater. For mos school (I'm actually an 0621 not a 5939), we were known as boot camp bravo. We had white glove inspections every week, we march to school/chow/everywhere as a class, and best of all, we raked the dirt every day. I can't count how many hours I stood fire-watch at the barracks, 4 hour shifts of constantly walking up and down the decks- any time we weren't in class we were available for fire-watch (7 posts manned 24/7). We had the buddy program too, couldn't go anywhere on base or off without a buddy. Actually, we had it broken down even further. The first two weeks, we could not leave the barracks; the first 5 weeks, we couldn't leave the base; it wasn't until the 6th week we could go off base for the weekends to Yucca Valley with a libo buddy. Oh, and we played games too (they didn't call us boot camp bravo for nothing). Endless: 'get in my classroom' 'get out of my classroom' 'get in my classroom' 'get out of my classroom' good, you don't want to sound off 'get in my classroom' 'take your seat' nope, not fast enough ' stand up' 'sit down' ok good, you don't want to sound off 'stand up' 'sit down' 'stand up' 'sit down' SOUND OFF!

If you like running up soft sandy hills all morning, 29 Palms is the place to be- God Bless you Sugar-Cookie Hill! It got pretty cold up there during the winter months, I clearly recall standing in formation at 0530 and waiting 45 minutes for the instructors to show up. We were not allowed to wear sweats, but the instructors were. The only Marine who wasn't shivering was the one from Alaska... it was like that every PT session. Oh yea, and we had our fair share of NJPs. We actually had a public/mass NJP once, all the classes stood in formation while 6-7 Marines marched up to the CO and explained their actions- they all got their punishments handed down to them right then and there in front of the formations.

So when you talk about how bad you have it in Florida, sorry, but I think you have it pretty skate. Count your blessings and know that there are plenty of Marine who have it worse.

Semper Fidelis :iwo:

giveen
03-24-09, 05:46 PM
I couldnt believe when I went back for a B school and I had to be part of boot camp bravo. I was a Delta company when I was in training.

jungholee90
03-24-09, 10:29 PM
Your mos school doesn't sound half as bad as mine at 29 Palms. No, we didn't have cars either, but if we wanted to go out into town, it would cost us at least $75 to pay for a taxi ONE-WAY! The nearest town was 30 miles out, Yucca Valley, and probably the best part about it is it had a Walmart and a small movie theater. For mos school (I'm actually an 0621 not a 5939), we were known as boot camp bravo. We had white glove inspections every week, we march to school/chow/everywhere as a class, and best of all, we raked the dirt every day. I can't count how many hours I stood fire-watch at the barracks, 4 hour shifts of constantly walking up and down the decks- any time we weren't in class we were available for fire-watch (7 posts manned 24/7). We had the buddy program too, couldn't go anywhere on base or off without a buddy. Actually, we had it broken down even further. The first two weeks, we could not leave the barracks; the first 5 weeks, we couldn't leave the base; it wasn't until the 6th week we could go off base for the weekends to Yucca Valley with a libo buddy. Oh, and we played games too (they didn't call us boot camp bravo for nothing). Endless: 'get in my classroom' 'get out of my classroom' 'get in my classroom' 'get out of my classroom' good, you don't want to sound off 'get in my classroom' 'take your seat' nope, not fast enough ' stand up' 'sit down' ok good, you don't want to sound off 'stand up' 'sit down' 'stand up' 'sit down' SOUND OFF!

Pensacola is a really nice base. It's just the policy thing. He's AMS-2 (and btw, to the original post you will be in AMS-2 when you get to Pensacola for MOS school - AMS2 is Avionics and electronics stuff. AMS1 is Airframe, Powerplant, Aircrew, AS/GSE, PR/AME), and I'm in AMS-1 and we got it even worse than them. All the Marines getting in troubles literally every night, just imagine group of drunk Marines with sailors and airmen... It's almost same thing with 29 Palms except the raking sand and that stupid game part. Our liberty policy goes Red, Yellow, Green, and FINALLY Blue-unrestricted overnight on weekend (just came out we've been waiting for this for about 2 months now.) We have to check out with 2 buddies and all that stuff.

AMS-1 Duty Section is just chaos. We have 4 duty section rotating everyday and every weekend. Formation 1745 to who knows, we have about 100 in each duty section and we do the muster, then we fill out post roster that goes from 1800 to 1800. We have 17 posts rotating every 3 hours (H Barracks - ID, Phone, 5 Wings, 1 Female Wing, 2 Outside Rover, 1 Deck Rover // G Barracks - ID, Deck Rover // 602 Barracks - ID, Deck Rover, 2 Outside Rover) plus daytime we have 2 schoolhouse ID watch... G Barracks is Air Force barracks and I don't know why we do their posts. lol. After post roster we do the cleaning part, so it's usually at least an hour just standing in formation. Then if SDO wants to be an @ss they make us form back up outside and take muster. It's hell on the days you have duty section, and imagine us fighting over who gets duty on 72/96 weekends, lol. I thought we didn't have any firewatch stuff after MCT.. but nope! It just gets better haha.

And retread09, yes we still do have indoc leaders, deck leaders, duty section leaders, post nazi, barrack support leaders, etc. who are all brand new Privates and PFCs who's been here maybe 2-3 months, and we play that stupid "who's been here longer (even if it's just a week) games." That's also part of the reason why the formations and musters take forever, lol. And then one day a PFC who was becoming a LCpl appointed as indoc leader thought he was the hot s*** and got NJP'd and counseled for hazing not so long ago.

Donut Brigade
03-25-09, 06:12 PM
Angelo and Jung beat me to it. Whatever they said applied. I'm AMS-2 (6300, I strand). Been here since October...only TWO WEEKS into my 4 month long A school. If I get MATC, I'm going UA, I don't care.

Donut Brigade
03-25-09, 06:18 PM
Today we had a "suicide prevention class" that cut into our lunch break by about 30 minutes. Apparently, NAS Pensacola has a high suicide rate, which doesn't surprise me.

The whole brief was about how REAL Marines don't quit on life and commit suicide, because that would be of great cost to our economy, which has spent over half a million bucks training you. Burn it off at the gym and talk to your Sergeants, the same Sergeants that assign 17 different 4-8 posts and have us police call everything from the beach up to the Mega Building.

commdog7
03-25-09, 08:26 PM
There is a difference between being in a sh!tty situation and wanting to commit suicide. Once you spend some time in the fleet, you will see that suicide is a big deal in the Corps (and you will have plenty of suicide prevention classes as well). Mos instructors aren't very helpful, but hopefully you will have some good leaders in the fleet who can tell the difference between a Marine who is in a sh!tty situation and one who has some deep personal issues going on. I have heard too many stories of Marines attempting or succeeding at committing suicide, so it is a big deal. In school, if students really have personal issues going on, I would advise that they talk to a chaplain. It isn't a sign of weakness unless you are just faking it to get out of work.

Semper Fidelis :iwo:

Devildogg99
03-30-09, 12:08 PM
Most aviation if not all mainly goes to Pensacola,FL then to your follow up "C" school which is your actual job. Pensacola for most is a waste of time because Pensacola is not your job. Long ago when I was a boot I spent 6 months there before I went to my actual job school. Like I said PCola is fun as far being around the beach and the area, but it is NJP capital of the world!

StoneTheWeak
03-30-09, 02:11 PM
We have the same thing going on, but the 200 barracks support kids waiting to class up take care of all the posts except 1800-2200, that's duty section. I was only barracks support for 2 days, thanks...

PaidinBlood
03-30-09, 06:58 PM
Hello Marines and fellow poolees.

I tried searching for my MOS here. Does anyone have any information on this MOS? From the information I gathered...

BA- Aviation Electronics Technition
5900 Electronics Maintenance
6300/6400 Aviation Electronics
6600 Aviation Logistics

So what would really help is Where the MOS school is located? and What is the basics?

Thank you.

Call me an A-hole but I think misspelling the job title might be a DQ...I'm just saying....:banana:

yoitsfrank
04-04-09, 11:05 PM
Sorry it took so long to post back, i dont have a computer. But thank you all for the information, and sorry for the typos.

xpaz
05-10-09, 09:14 AM
My buddy wanted to go home to see his grandmother who's got cancer, I believe, and his special lib chit got denied. All because the CO wants everyone to earn condition 4 first.

Long as he gets the check in the box though right? The only way to get special lib now just about is if you're condition 4, which defeats the ENTIRE purpose of special lib. The idea of special lib is for marines who cannot earn condition 4 (barracks support) or who have extenuating circumstances to leave for the weekend.

That's not true necessarily. You're more likely to get it approved if you are Condition 4, mostly because to get Condition 4 you have to have proven yourself to some degree. Be it a 1st class PFT and high percentage in classes, or an Ironman PFT. I know a few who have gotten their special lib approved in AWAT and ATT (and 1 in barracks support), but the barracks support group haven't been here long enough to get their feet wet, and are more unlikely to get it.

Barracks support isn't lasting as long as it was a few months ago -- a lot of them are classing up within 2-3 weeks, whereas the last "cycle" had been here for nearly 3-5 months or more! Which is probably why some of the older generation of barracks support had more success getting their lib granted.

It's no surprise that they're hesitant to grant special lib to Marines who've only been on base for 2 weeks, but it doesn't really have much to do with whether you're condition 4 or not.

Supersquishy
05-10-09, 10:35 AM
If you're going to go airwing (I was 6332) make sure that your priorities are around 80/20 as far as technical work/actually being a Marine
The squadron needs quality technicians and everything else is a FAR second.

Ditto, I was an airwinger, never put on an LBV, flackjacket, or pack in my enlistment(out in the fleet). I did however put on a kevlar helmet during swimqual( one time in 4 years). Shot at the rifle range every other year(expert). They say your a rifleman first and your mos second. Its actually the other way around in the airwing, Fixing jets 5-7 days a week, group pt once a year.
If you want more grunt work, get a MOS with infintry work.

JGiddens
06-03-09, 02:53 AM
Retreads post on the first page is pretty accurate. If youre airwing and someone isnt b1tching about how things are going, you should worry, because things are REALLY bad. Aviation Electronics is probably the most boring job I have ever had... except for when I was deployed on USS Enterprise... that was pretty sweet. You wont see much PT, unless youre stationed in MCAS Beaufort and you have to run with the BCP chunky guys and gals... or mentor them, which means you just have to run with them even though you dont need the remedial PT (my case).
If youre willing to learn the job, its not bad. It all depends on where youre stationed and who your SNCOIC and NCOIC is really... I was lucky and had great supervision. My instructor from C school was actually my supervisor in Beaufort, which was awesome. We became great friends and I really looked up to him. You know who you are, Sgt Badie! You crazy f*ck.

MarineCorpsMama
01-25-10, 12:31 PM
I know this is a day late and a dollar short...but, my young Marine son is down in NAS, and all was well until recently. WTF happened to my Corps, where Marines rat out other Marines for minor stuff? Seriously. It is BS down there from what he told me. It was never like that when I went to school at the Stumps. And, you're right - it appears the NCO's/SNCO's are NJP happy - inflicting "discilpline" as deemed necessary over the most minor things. To me, it's ridiculous. It used to be if you had an issue with a fellow Marine, you settle it amoungst yourselves. You didn't cry to your PLT Sergeant, wahhhhhhhh, my feelings are hurt, wahhhhhhhh. I was hoping my son would have a good beginning experience his first few months in the Corps, not this crap. Bunch of freaking crybabies down there. I told him he should request another MOS - like Infantry, so he's around real Marines, as it seems he's surrounded by non-marines.

JGiddens
01-28-10, 11:29 PM
A real Marine doesn't wine and complain to their NCOs/SNCOs or their mother, but that's just my two cents. Cut the apron strings mom, I assume he can handle himself.

MarineCorpsMama
01-29-10, 04:11 AM
A real Marine doesn't wine and complain to their NCOs/SNCOs or their mother, but that's just my two cents. Cut the apron strings mom, I assume he can handle himself.

Listen buckshot, he wasn't whining. It was merely an observation I was making about how different it was when I was in 20 plus years ago. It was a few other Privates that were whining and crying to their NCO/SNCO's, mommies. The strings are cut, you...... If they weren't, do you think he would be in my Corps? He comes from a family of Marines - and his own Grandfather was at Guadacanal and Tarawa (rest in peace Grandpa).

commdog7
01-29-10, 05:40 AM
When a Marine disregards the rules and regulations, they deserve to be punished. It's what keeps us the most highly disciplined fighting force in the world. If your son broke the rules, he's going to have to take responsibility and accept the consequences of his actions- that's what Marines do.

There's a difference between snitching and reporting a violation. Snitching involves something minor and irrelavent, and is only taken up the chain for personal glory. Reporting a violation involves a significant incident where rules are broken. This will undermine unit discipline, and Marines need to have the moral courage to report such events- such as smoking or underaged drinking in the barracks. Marines are not laxed when it comes to standards; real Marines know how to balance loyalty with integrity.

That being said, I do disagree with the forms of punishment implimented these days. I think physical punishment is better than paperwork, as an NJP can really damage a Marine's career. But years ago, Marines took physical punishment too far so the Corps eliminated that and switched over to paperwork instead. Either way, if a Marine breaks the rules without a good reason, I have absolutely no sympathy for them. Their poor judgement got them into the situation they are in; they will have to learn discipline one way or another.

MarineCorpsMama
01-29-10, 08:47 AM
Whatever. Thanks for the education of being a Marine. The point I was trying to make is that the Corps is a lot different than back when I was in. No thanks to MOA, and PC, and "dont ask, dont tell" He's got a great attitude, and is very proud to be a Marine. As I stated earlier, he is literally a Devil Pup - his dad, me (his mom), uncle, two grand-dads are/were all Marines. I particulary do not care for the whiners and the complainers. No time for that. Didn't like them back then, and don't like them still. And, you are right - there is a HUGE difference between "snitching" and "reporting a violation". It seemed like a lot of "snitching". Simple observation from my perspective, being that I was in probably when you were still in your diapers. I know/knew of some over zealous NCO's who let the rank get to their head, until they matured to SSGT or Gunny. In any event, my kid is right as rain, no problems, no trouble, and proud to be what he is. A Marine. Semper Fi Dogs.

commdog7
01-29-10, 09:19 AM
I wish to have a Marine-to-Marine intelligent discussion about the workings of the Corps. What I do not want is to be disrespected because of my age and mos. So what if I was born in '87, does that make me any less of a Marine? I have been in 4.5 year and served in Iraq, Cuba, Africa, and a few other countries. But because I wasn't born 20 years earlier, my experiences are worthless in this discussion? Because I'm not infantry, I'm not a "real" Marine? FYI, there is another female Marine on this site who served in the '60s, I guess you aren't worthy of a discussion with her since you were in diapers when she was in the Corps. Let's not play this game.

We got off on the wrong foot, but all is forgiven. If you respect me, I will respect you. What do you want to discuss?

MarineCorpsMama
01-29-10, 10:51 AM
Devil Dog, no disrespect intended. I guess I got hot under the collar as well with the 1st reply to my post (not yours) - "any real Marine...." and "cut the strings". That highly offended me. Not only am I a Devil Dog, but a Mama Bear and a Leo... ha ha! Seriously though, I was just making a general observation based on the thread and also what my kid told me about what is going on there. I am in total agreement with you. Physical punishment is better than an NJP, especially when they are young Marines just starting out. You are absolutely correct in stating that can hurt a young Marines career. My humble opinion is that the punishment should fit the crime. Now, I am not saying he was in trouble (because he was not), I am just saying based on what I've seen in the thread and what he has told me about the "goings on". It just seemed like way back then, when I was young and spry - that things were handled differently. It seems to me that what used to be insignificant is such a big deal now. And, I blame the MOA (mothers of america) and the PC garbage with which we have to "abide" by now. PC is crap. Common courtesy and respect towards each other is all that is needed, not PC. Therefore, young Marine friend of mine, I apologize, as my intent was not to offend YOU. I am proud of my younger brothers and sisters serving now, and proud of my older brothers and sisters who served before me, and proud of my brothers and sisters who served with me. But, most of all, I am very proud of my son, who chose to become one of us. And, thank you CommDog7 for serving in our Corps.

MarineCorpsMama
01-29-10, 11:00 AM
p.s. - Awesome on your tours of duty CommDog7! I hope my son gets to have the same experience.

commdog7
01-30-10, 07:15 AM
I agree that the punishment should fit the crime. If any Marine feels that their punishment is too harsh, they do have options available. There is nothing wrong with requesting mast or in extreme...

MarineCorpsMama
01-30-10, 09:23 AM
Quite impressive, I must say Sergeant. To be in the Corps for 4.5 years, pick up E-5, been everywhere (just about) is quite the accomplishment. You should be proud of yourself. I am sure your family is very proud of you. My guess is that you should be picking up your rocker rather quickly at the rate you're going. :o) You definitely qualify for being a mentor for Marines and Civies alike, someone to look up too. Heck, I'm proud of ya! You are the epitome of what a Marine should be (male or female, but definitely for WM's). Semper Fi.

haebyungdae
01-30-10, 02:51 PM
Damn, I feel sorry for you guys, that sounds like total crap. The worst I had ever, was a 2200 curfew at my second MOS school (I blame the firedogs)....

commdog7
01-30-10, 03:53 PM
Quite impressive, I must say Sergeant. To be in the Corps for 4.5 years, pick up E-5, been everywhere (just about) is quite the accomplishment. You should be proud of yourself. I am sure your family is very proud of you. My guess is that you should be picking up your rocker rather quickly at the rate you're going. :o) You definitely qualify for being a mentor for Marines and Civies alike, someone to look up too. Heck, I'm proud of ya! You are the epitome of what a Marine should be (male or female, but definitely for WM's). Semper Fi.

Thanks! I believe all Marines should make the most of the opportunities presented to them, whether they do 4 yrs or 40 yrs.