PDA

View Full Version : Grateful Marines land at Andover school

thedrifter
03-21-09, 06:15 AM
Grateful Marines land at Andover school
By Tim McCarthy
Staff Writer

ANDOVER — In Iraq and Afghanistan, Marines aren't always welcomed with open arms. But two local servicemen were given celebrity treatment by students at West Elementary School.

Alia Mohammed's fourth-grade class was visited by Lance Cpls. Ricky Mendoza of Haverhill and John Nagel of Baltimore, Md., last week. The class wrote letters to the Marines' sqaud last fall as part of care packages sent to Iraq by Effective Student Marketing, an Andover business.

The two Marines thanked the class by giving them a signed photograph of their squad. "This is a real controversial war," said Mendoza. "But it's a great feeling knowing that you supported us."

As part of their visit, the Marines also answered questions from the students about their lives and experiences in Iraq. Questions ranged from what sort of exotic animals they encountered, to what kinds of food they ate, and to what sorts of people they encountered.

"It's just like being in school," said Mendoza when asked what being a Marine was like. "There's a lot of things everyone has to know."

When asked by one student if he liked being a Marine, Mendoza couldn't help by smile.

"It's got me out of trouble a few times," he said. "It's not always war, there's a lot of humanitarian work."

Students were jubilant over the arrival of the Marines and scrambled for a chance to get their autographs after the discussion.

"I was surprised they actually answered our letters," said Kyle Getty. "I never met a Marine before."

Abby Goldman was equally enthralled. "I'm glad I got to learn about how they lived and that I got to meet them."

Mendoza and Nagel both enjoyed the limelight of their newfound celebrity status and were grateful for the students' well wishes. "We made it a point to come and say thank you," said Mendoza.

While the individual letters were written by the students themselves, sending them out was a collaborative effort between Mohammed and Effective Student Marketing.

Andrew Kelley, president of Effective Student Marketing, ran a donation drive last September for Marine care package supplies as a way to celebrate the company's move to a new office at Dundee Park. His daughter, Emma Kelley, wanted to contribute to the packages and decided to write letters for the troops. A member of Mohammed's class, Emma suggested involving her fellow students in the effort.

Since students were required to create letters as part of their writing classes, Mohammed saw the care packages as a chance to incorporate education outside the classroom.

"Having the opportunity to write for the troops was a great way to tie into the curriculum standards," said Mohammed.

Emma was brimming with excitement at seeing her idea come to fruition.

"I didn't expect for them to come to Andover West Elementary," she said.

Ellie