PDA

View Full Version : "Bonus" for shipping out early? (taking earlier ship date)

Tolerance
03-20-09, 11:38 PM
Good evening, Marines!

I heard some chit chat in the recruiting office about a small bonus ($5k?) that's given if a Poolee gets his shipdate moved to a sooner one. In my case, I got mine changed earlier, to March.

I'm wondering if this applies to every ship-date moved, or only under certain circumstances.

As of now, I'm out of here pretty soon :scared: so I'd want to get everything squared away with before I'm out!

JWDevilDog
03-20-09, 11:53 PM
Usually only for certain time periods. For example, I had the chance to get a $5k shipping bonus if I waited about another month. But I didn't want to do that. I don't regret it either.

Ask your recruiter for specifics.

Tallboot
03-21-09, 10:03 AM
Yea there is, if your recruiter offers it. Also you wont see that any of it until/if you make it to the fleet. In my opinion i would leave as soon as possible and get it over with. Your going to forget all those civilian things anyway.

Marine726
03-21-09, 09:11 PM
I got offered 15K to leave a week after i got informed of the bonus.. But turns out that the week that they wanted me to leave was a open week so no one wass going to be there anyway. So it was a mess up on the recruiter's end. But any way yes there are early ship date bonuses.

Tolerance
03-23-09, 05:43 PM
Yea there is, if your recruiter offers it. Also you wont see that any of it until/if you make it to the fleet. In my opinion i would leave as soon as possible and get it over with. Your going to forget all those civilian things anyway.

of course I'm leaving ASAP! lol.

so many DEPers in my area and my original DEPing contract says I ship 5 months from now, but I was able to snag somebody's dropped slot for next week.

Hmm... im gonna ask my recruiter then just in case.

Tolerance
03-23-09, 05:45 PM
I got offered 15K to leave a week after i got informed of the bonus.. But turns out that the week that they wanted me to leave was a open week so no one wass going to be there anyway. So it was a mess up on the recruiter's end. But any way yes there are early ship date bonuses.

did you leave during that said week then?

if so, easy $15k bank huh lol :D

Marine726
03-25-09, 02:33 PM
did you leave during that said week then?

if so, easy $15k bank huh lol :D
no I wasn't able to because they had a open week which means no recruits was going to be picked up so I would have been a week early

Hayes
03-25-09, 03:18 PM
I was offered a 10k bonus if i shipped next day. A poolee of theirs had some scar that wasnt reported on or something at MEPS so they need someone to go. A Major who had driven me back to the RS from MEPS offered me the Bonus to leave the next day. I had no prior commitments so I said sure why not. (My mom was ****ed of course because originally i wasnt suppose to leave for a few months haha) but sure enough when I hit the FMF last year they started depositing it liek allotments in every pay check. I feels good to make as much as a SGT as a LCpl soon to pick up CPL. But yea talk to your recruiter and get hooked up haha!:D

Tolerance
03-25-09, 11:51 PM
I was offered a 10k bonus if i shipped next day. A poolee of theirs had some scar that wasnt reported on or something at MEPS so they need someone to go. A Major who had driven me back to the RS from MEPS offered me the Bonus to leave the next day. I had no prior commitments so I said sure why not. (My mom was ****ed of course because originally i wasnt suppose to leave for a few months haha) but sure enough when I hit the FMF last year they started depositing it liek allotments in every pay check. I feels good to make as much as a SGT as a LCpl soon to pick up CPL. But yea talk to your recruiter and get hooked up haha!:D

damn, thats pretty sick LCpl!

I found out that even though I filled somebody's slot for this month, I'm not eligible because I was counted as an "over shipper" instead?

something about a girl leaving a week prior to me (she left this monday, i leave next monday) so she "took the slot" for the March that was needed.

doing me a favor w/ finally leaving, the SNCOIC is allowing me to "overship" this month, from what he's telling me, so no bonus I guess.

Petz
03-26-09, 12:05 AM
like you said, it doesn't matter.

either way, you've got what 4 days? good luck, drink now, cause if you do while under age in the Corps you'll get busted down.

Tolerance
03-26-09, 10:09 PM
like you said, it doesn't matter.

either way, you've got what 4 days? good luck, drink now, cause if you do while under age in the Corps you'll get busted down.

underage drinking? I've never heard of such blasphemy, SSgt....... :confused:

I'm making the best of my last weekend. Now that I think about it... I should be listening to a SSgt, since I'm only a Poolee and all. Advice taken :D

Petz
03-27-09, 12:20 AM
I didn't mean alcohol... I meant gatorade... 'cause you won't get any in boot camp.

Hayes
03-27-09, 04:17 AM
We were only aloud to drink the red gatorade...sucks because my favorite was blue. God help you if you got chocolate milk!!!!! there was blood that day haha

CplHawk
04-27-09, 06:13 PM
We were only aloud to drink the red gatorade...sucks because my favorite was blue. God help you if you got chocolate milk!!!!! there was blood that day haha

Chocolate milk was nothing; I felt sorry for the platoon with the guy trying to sneak ice cream. I was unfortunate enough during a day at medical to be at chow with another recruit from my platoon; the idiot decided to get ice cream in a cup and try to hide it in chocolate milk :mad:. Before I even saw what he was doing (he was a few recruits infront of me) another unit's Drill Instructor caught him. Even more unfortunate for our platoon was that this Drill Instructor was apparently our kill hat's best friend. Can anyone imagine what we went through that week? hahaha!