PDA

View Full Version : Gunny Ermey a fan fav on flight line

thedrifter
03-20-09, 03:24 PM
Gunny Ermey a fan fav on flight line
Story by Gunnery Sgt. Bill Lisbon

After the Wall of Fire, perhaps the next longest thing at Saturday's Yuma Air Show was the line of people waiting to meet Hollywood's hardest-working Marine-R. Lee Ermey.

The iconic actor, best known as the sharp-tongued drill instructor from "Full Metal Jacket," accepted a last-minute invitation to attend the 47th annual air show.

"I was feeling rather guilty," said Ermey. "I hadn't been down here in about eight years."

Attending his first Yuma Air Show, Ermey met countless fans, signed autographs and posed for snapshots throughout the day. As a testament to his commitment to Marines, Ermey held fast on the flight line approximately two hours after the air show's final act.

"I just won't stand up and walk away from people who've been waiting in line. I think that's a chicken s--- thing to do, and I won't do it," he said. "I'll hang in there until everybody's taken care of."

Ermey said he devotes approximately 100 days each year visiting Marines across the globe. In recent years, he's visited troops in Iraq, Afghanistan and Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, and he's been the guest of honor at Marine birthday balls in Okinawa, Japan, for the past four years.

"They retired me back in 1971, and I kept showing up for work," said Ermey. "And I've been showing up ever since."

The former Marine left the ranks as a staff sergeant, but was honorarily promoted to gunnery sergeant in 2002.

Ermey began filming this week for his new upcoming History Channel show "Lock N' Load," an hourlong look at various weapons similar to his popular program "Mail Call," which was recently cancelled.

"I just dusted off 'Mail Call' and gave it a new name," he said.

The show's 13-episode first season is scheduled to begin airing in July, said Ermey.

Ermey also recently wrapped up recording his vocal role as Sarge in the upcoming animated film "Toy Story 3," scheduled to hit theaters in 2010.

Though he didn't see much of the air show, Ermey did take a break to watch the Wall of Fire.

"It was a hell of an explosion," he said. "It was a great grand finale."

While a repeat performance of the flaming feat is uncertain, an Ermey encore is more likely.

"I'll come back next year if I'm invited," he said.

Air Show Program

http://yuma.usmc.mil/airshow/09airshow.pdf

MCAS Yuma Air Show

http://yumaairshow.com/

Ellie