PDA

View Full Version : From the ground up

thedrifter
03-20-09, 03:18 PM
From the ground up
Course builds Marine NCOs
Lance Cpl. Bobby J. Yarbrough

CAMP FOSTER, Okinawa (March 20, 2009) -- Since the creation of the Marine Corps, noncommissioned officers have played an integral role in the Corps' success.

Now, more than ever, the Corps remains unwavering in its reliance on the NCO.

"The role of the Marine NCO has not changed in the Corps since 1775," said Sergeant Major of the Marine Corps Sgt. Maj. Carlton W. Kent. "NCOs have always been, and will remain, the 'backbone' of our Corps. The role of the NCO is one of the most important leadership roles to mission accomplishment."

Although NCOs' role in mission accomplishment remains unchanged, their function is evolving.

Since 2006, General James T. Conway, commandant of the Marine Corps, and Kent, have ensured Marines who wear corporal and sergeant chevrons have more responsibility, both in garrison and theater.

"The NCOs are the first ones in a Marine's leadership who junior Marines approach and respect," Kent said. "The NCOs more than ever are leading Marines in combat and may be the most senior Marine for miles. Our commandant continues to empower NCOs in combat and in garrison and will continue to give the NCOs the tools they need to be successful."

One of the methods the Corps offers to build up NCOs as good leaders is the Corporal's Course.

"Courses such as the Corporal's Course give Marine NCOs the tools to set them up for success and enhances their warfighting capabilities," Kent said. "It is great for NCOs to learn from each other and understand what each (military occupational specialty) brings to the fight."

For newly-promoted or seasoned corporals, the course provides education and leadership skills necessary to lead Marines. The course places emphasis on leadership foundations and a working knowledge of general military subjects.

During the course, instructors, who are sergeants, help their fellow NCOs master everything from physical conditioning to close order drill.

The chief instructor for the Headquarters and Service Battalion, Marine Corps Base Camp Butler Corporal's Course, Sgt. Timothy Craig said that it is paramount to maintaining good order and discipline for NCOs to be technically and tactically proficient. NCOs strive to be the example for junior Marines to emulate.

According to Craig, the course gives an NCO the edge needed to truly be the fine-tuned example of a Marine leader, both in combat and in garrison.

For Cpl. Michael Westervelt, a recent Corporal's Course graduate and a heavy equipment mechanic with Facilities Engineers, H&S Bn., MCB, the course provided an understanding of the importance of his job of leading Marines.

"As an NCO, it's my obligation to teach my Marines good morals, values and ethics," Westervelt said. "The course taught me how to be a stronger leader. The knowledge I took from Corporal's Course will allow me to teach and train my Marines to the best of my abilities."

With strong leadership coupled with tools such as Corporal's Course, Kent is confident NCOs will continue to be successful examples for junior Marines to emulate.

"The commandant and I know the importance of the Marine Corps NCO," Kent said. "We have trust and confidence that they will do the 'right thing' and set a positive example for the junior Marines.

http://www.okinawa.usmc.mil/Public%20Affairs%20Info/Images%20Complete/HighResImages/090320-cpl4.jpg

Marine noncommissioned officers are the only NCOs in the Armed Forces authorized to carry a sword. (Photo by Cpl. Andrew S. Avitt).

Ellie