PDA

View Full Version : Marine retires after 30 years of service

thedrifter
03-20-09, 08:42 AM
Marine retires after 30 years of service

3/19/2009 By Pamela Jackson , Marine Corps Logistics Base Albany

Marine Corps Logistics Base Albany — It was 30 years ago that Master Gunnery Sgt. Tommie J. Threats, S-3 operations chief, Operations and Training Division, Marine Corps Logistics Base, Albany, Ga., placed his feet on the yellow footprints at Marine Corps Recruit Depot, San Diego, Calif.

His career has taken him many places, including three overseas tours of duty since he enlisted in June 1979.

On Feb. 27 at the base theater, fellow Marines, family members and friends gathered to help him celebrate his retirement from the Marine Corps.

Threats has been stationed at MCLB Albany since March 2007 and his personal decorations include the Navy Commendation Medal (with two gold stars) and the Navy Achievement Medal (with gold star).

Col. C. N. Haliday, commanding officer, MCLB Albany, said, “He has had a noble and honorable career in the Marine Corps that has spanned 30 years.

“Seven of those years were with the Fleet Division, three with the Marine Air Wing Group and two years with the Marine Support Group. He is a seasoned veteran of the Corps and has had many duties and assignments,” Haliday said.

“Threats gave up his “Red Patch” assignment to become an expert in the supply field. Marines typically don’t do that. We have been privileged to have him here with his tireless commitment to the needs of the command and Marines. His enthusiasm, upbeat positive attitude and leadership have been a tremendous attribute to this command. He has been a great mentor to young Marines and his service has been exemplary,” Haliday said.

“As the commanding officer of this base, I feel privileged and honored to be the retiring official for Master Gunnery Sergeant Threats,” said Haliday. “This marks a great occasion in his career and his life and we are sorry to see him go. He takes many achievements with him, but most important is the title of a Marine, one that he has truly earned.”

“Those who worked closely with him will certainly miss his presence around the office. Master Gunnery Sergeant Threats is an outstanding Marine and we are going to miss his motivation around the shop,” said Kent D. Morrison, deputy director, Base Operations and Training Division, MCLB Albany.

“I enjoyed sitting with him and reflecting on his career of 30 years; the Marines he knew and the places he had been. I told him that leaving the Corps was hard and he would miss it terribly, but to always reflect back on those whose lives he made an impact on and remember that he would always be a Marine,” said Morrison.

Threats said, “My final words of wisdom to young career-Marines is to live by the Marine Corps strengths, principals and corps values and you can be a success. I advise them to listen and learn from those who have been where they are going.”

Ellie