PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Rep. Boehner visits Ross grad serving in Afghanistan

thedrifter
03-20-09, 08:32 AM
U.S. Rep. Boehner visits Ross grad serving in Afghanistan

By Jay Morrison

Staff Writer

Friday, March 20, 2009

Surprises aren't usually a good thing for those on the front line in the War on Terror, but the one Lance Cpl. James Laflin got last month was well received.

Laflin, a 2001 Ross High School graduate stationed in the Helmand Province in Afghanistan, was among a group of Marines who received a surprise visit from U.S. Rep. John Boehner, R-West Chester Twp., last month.

"I thought it was great to meet him in person," Laflin wrote in an e-mail interview about the House minority leader.

"I've never met a representative of any state before, so I was excited to say the least," Laflin added. "Plus, I haven't been to Ohio for quite some time and it was great to catch up on the latest happenings."

Boehner was part of a contingent that also included House Republican Whip Eric Cantor, R-Va., and other members of congress who visited Afghanistan as part of a renewed focus on that area as additional troops are expected to be deployed there in the next few months.

"Spending time with Lance Cpl. James Laflin reaffirms for me that we're doing the right thing by listening to our commanders on the ground in Afghanistan and the troops who are bravely fighting the War on Terror," Boehner said.

Laflin said he and the other Marines got to spend "three or four" hours with the Boehner, including a relaxing lunch.

"Lunchtime was the best time," he said. "We got to discuss things such as Ohio's economy, the latest happenings, etc. In turn, he asked us questions about the base and what our jobs were.

"His visit really meant a lot to the other Marines and myself," Laflin added. "It was refreshing to know that there are some who remember what's really going on out here."

Ellie