PDA

View Full Version : Beaufort marines deploy to Afghanistan

thedrifter
03-20-09, 07:48 AM
Beaufort marines deploy to Afghanistan

Updated: Mar 19, 2009 4:06 PM
Thursday, March 19, 2009 5:06 PM EST

By Jaime Dailey

BEAUFORT, SC (WTOC) - Some of our military men and women from the Marine Corps Air Station Beaufort are heading back overseas.

A group of marines from Marine Aviation Logistics Squadron 31 on their way to Afghanistan. Their challenge is different this time around and it may take longer.

"This is where the rubber meets the road and this is where you get out there and do what needs to be done," said one of the squadron's leaders as the marines huddled around before deploying to Afghanistan. A mission they weren't expecting.

"I got back this August from Iraq and now to Afghanistan," said Sgt. Brandon Baker with MALS 31.

"All of these marines were volunteers. They're all in a specific skill set so they're picked to do this job and we're very proud of them that they're able to do it on such short notice and my hats go off to their families," said MALS 31 Commanding Officer, Lt. Col. Chuck Dunne.

While many of these marines have deployed before, this one is different. Instead of going into an established base, they'll be the ones setting up shop.

"They'll be receiving equipment, building a complex of mobile maintenance facilities to operate out of and that will be where they repair aircraft components, deliver ammunition, and deliver needed parts to those flying squadrons," said Lt. Col Dunne.

But they're ready for their mission.

"I'm nervous, but I'm really excited to do my part," said Sgt. Jeremy Fisher with MALS 31.

While many of these families have had to say goodbye before, this deployment is tougher for many like the Gomez family, especially since this deployment was unexpected and will likely be longer than normal.

"It does make it tougher. He went in 2003 to Iraq and I would sit by the TV hoping to see his face and this time I don't know it's just different. It's harder for me. He's almost retired," said Elva Gomez, who's husband deployed.

But while they're off doing their part, their loved ones will be praying for their safe return.

"God will bring them back and I trust that with all of my heart," said Gomez. "We're so proud and I hope the people out there in this world not in the military, that they think and pray for our marine women and men because they work hard."

This deployment is expected to last about 10 or 11 months, but that could change depending on the situation.

Ellie