PDA

View Full Version : back after 5+ years

retread09
03-19-09, 09:48 PM
I was an avionics guy on harriers from sep 98 to sep 03....after looking through $8 an hour jobs at the unemployment office (i live in sc which has the second highest unemployment rate) I finally snapped one day and gave the Marine recruiter a call. I had assumed for a long time that it would be extremely difficult to get back in as prior service but I was listening to the wrong voices I guess. The recruiter i'm dealing with says he was in the same position as me and decided to come back in a few years ago...anyways this is the first time i've really been excited about a "job" in a long time...I don't technically have any dependents, i'm 29, well within weight and can still knock out a high first class so he said we may be able to do something as soon as next month. I'm looking to retake the asvab (got an 83 last time) because my mechanical ability has went from nothing to pretty good and I know my math is better because of college classes....I got out as a corporal (yeah i dragged my feet a little while in) and would supposedly return as such...I just don't know which MOS to go into. I enjoyed being a Marine but hated the airwing aspect....but if I were to go grunt it would be odd coming in as a corporal with guys who have probably already been at war...the respect factor....anybody have any suggestions on what I should do?? also..is there not some kind of transition class or something.....i'm not sloppy or anything...but it has been a long time....does the Corps just assume people will show up squared away...what about uniforms/initial gear..where the hell would I get all that stuff......anybody who has experience in this please advise.

HurricaneRJ
03-20-09, 05:53 AM
If your worried about the respect factor of being a grunt. Don't worry about it, as long as your an NCOs. That respect there on it's own, but things are run different on the grunt side of things. SOI will be a ***** as well as far of PT and training. Also don't worry about the younger guys who are combat vets. The last time anyone seen combat in 1/8 was in Fallujah NOV 04. Can't speak for other battalions.

JWDevilDog
03-20-09, 06:02 AM
Cpl, I dont know about most of what you posted, since I haven't gotten out, and only know one guy who did. But Honestly, after that long being out, I don't think you will keep your rank. I always thought that Marines have 3 months to get back in and keep their rank, and if they wait much longer than that, they drop one rank. So, chances are, you will come in as a Lance Criminal.

Welcome back to the Corps, Devildog. Semper Fi.

dhenderson88
03-20-09, 06:17 AM
I know a Coporal who was out for a few years and kept her rank. You just loose time in grade.

KawiGunny
03-20-09, 06:27 AM
I was an avionics guy on harriers from sep 98 to sep 03....after looking through $8 an hour jobs at the unemployment office (i live in sc which has the second highest unemployment rate) I finally snapped one day and gave the Marine recruiter a call. I had assumed for a long time that it would be extremely difficult to get back in as prior service but I was listening to the wrong voices I guess. The recruiter i'm dealing with says he was in the same position as me and decided to come back in a few years ago...anyways this is the first time i've really been excited about a "job" in a long time...I don't technically have any dependents, i'm 29, well within weight and can still knock out a high first class so he said we may be able to do something as soon as next month. I'm looking to retake the asvab (got an 83 last time) because my mechanical ability has went from nothing to pretty good and I know my math is better because of college classes....I got out as a corporal (yeah i dragged my feet a little while in) and would supposedly return as such...I just don't know which MOS to go into. I enjoyed being a Marine but hated the airwing aspect....but if I were to go grunt it would be odd coming in as a corporal with guys who have probably already been at war...the respect factor....anybody have any suggestions on what I should do?? also..is there not some kind of transition class or something.....i'm not sloppy or anything...but it has been a long time....does the Corps just assume people will show up squared away...what about uniforms/initial gear..where the hell would I get all that stuff......anybody who has experience in this please advise.

Good to see the system is working for you as far as getting back in. Not take the time and fill out your profile.

retread09
03-20-09, 06:34 AM
yeah supposedly you just loose time in grade...also, i've been real suprised at how helpful the recruiter has been..i've read tons of posts on various sites about getting lethargic responses for prior service guys...This ssgt even offered to come to my house after I told him my situation. He's really been on the ball...Maybe some kinda quota thing starts next month..anyways.....anybody with comments on this or the issues I first mentioned please advise..i'm reallly curious as to how the uniform/gear issue will work...the recruiter said when he retreaded a about 5 years ago he went to parris island and just went through all the lines like the recruits..damn flashbacks!!..thanks for the responses so far..appreciate it