PDA

View Full Version : Did I make MOS decision?

dbonn
03-19-09, 02:42 PM
Sorry I messed up on title

Did I make the right MOS decision...

Ok so when I get out of the corps I want to become a Police Officer. I chose the Marine Corps because I wanted to be the best, and have a good looking resume. Now about up until a couple weeks ago I thought my MOS was going to be Security Forces, but my recruiter told me that there was not an open spot for it and that he gave me my second choice which was infantry, I dont remember even considering infantry because all i wanted was Security Forces. At first i was not going to sign for Infantry, but then my recruiter told me I could lateral move into MSG duty after two years, I was reluctant because there is no guarantee that I can do this.

Do you believe I made the right decision? Is there any current former infantry guys out there who did a lateral move? Please help!

PS. I cant do MP because im color blind:(

KawiGunny
03-19-09, 02:52 PM
Color blind and in the infantry??????? You might want to reconsider that MOS.

Just being a Marine will help get your foot in the door of a Police Dept.

KawiGunny
03-19-09, 02:53 PM
Oh....... And fill out your profile. Guess you are just blind period.

dbonn
03-19-09, 02:59 PM
sorry about that I got right on my profile right after i posted....

My color blindness isnt bad it ws just bad enough to fail at MEPS lol i can still see colors almost perfectly.

sscjoe
03-19-09, 03:00 PM
"PS. I cant do MP because im color blind"

I had a friend who had an 0300 mos with signing bonus, while at bootcamp they found him to be color blind so they made him an M.P. with no bonus. That was over 30 yrs ago but I figured I throw that in anyway.
BTW- he is now a DA investigator after a stellar career with the City of San Berdo PD.

dbonn
03-19-09, 03:03 PM
Says Must have normal color vision (not waiverable)

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/enlistedjo2/a/5811new.htm

KawiGunny
03-19-09, 03:06 PM
sorry about that I got right on my profile right after i posted....

My color blindness isnt bad it ws just bad enough to fail at MEPS lol i can still see colors almost perfectly.

You can see colors perfectly but you failed the test at Meps? Doesn't sound right. Maybe you should try to take that test again unless there is more to this story than you have told so far.

Being in the infantry, you need to be able to see colors. I am sure there are plenty that will disagree but thats their opinions. There are many reasons for this but I won't get into that now.

dbonn
03-19-09, 03:10 PM
Well I can see colors red, blue, ect. But when some colors are mixed a certain way it is difficult for me to focus on those different colors. Like at MEPS i barley failed the test and then i failed the make up tests everything else was perfect

thewookie
03-19-09, 04:05 PM
Well I can see colors red, blue, ect. But when some colors are mixed a certain way it is difficult for me to focus on those different colors. Like at MEPS i barley failed the test and then i failed the make up tests everything else was perfect

I am like this, back in the day I failed the first test at MEPS and then they gave me another two tests, which I passed, so they said I'm not technically color blind, but if you put dark blue and black side-by-side, or yellow and tan or beige, or other like colors - I have trouble.

Even though I technically passed, it was noted in my SRB and they wouldn't let me go EOD when I reenlisted.

But I can definitely differenchiate between black and white.....

0231Marine
03-19-09, 04:13 PM
Being in the infantry, you need to be able to see colors. I am sure there are plenty that will disagree but thats their opinions. There are many reasons for this but I won't get into that now.

Wait, which color flare means we're being ambushed and which one means we're executing a show of force?

JWDevilDog
03-20-09, 06:28 AM
Going MSG duty is not a lat-move. After your three year tour, you are back in your primary MOS. MSG duty is a B-Billet, which means it is temporary. You can do it after you have been at your first duty station for 6 months (Marines, I am not too sure of that, it is what I heard. Correct me if I'm wrong).

Tallboot
03-20-09, 01:07 PM

Acutally the same thing happend to me, im not ****ing colorblind, but i sure as hell failed that test. Ive never been able to mix the colors in that book and see the numbers. I do have to wear contact/glasses though.

TTX
03-20-09, 08:13 PM
Sorry I messed up on title

Did I make the right MOS decision...

Ok so when I get out of the corps I want to become a Police Officer. I chose the Marine Corps because I wanted to be the best, and have a good looking resume. Now about up until a couple weeks ago I thought my MOS was going to be Security Forces, but my recruiter told me that there was not an open spot for it and that he gave me my second choice which was infantry, I dont remember even considering infantry because all i wanted was Security Forces. At first i was not going to sign for Infantry, but then my recruiter told me I could lateral move into MSG duty after two years, I was reluctant because there is no guarantee that I can do this.

Do you believe I made the right decision? Is there any current former infantry guys out there who did a lateral move? Please help!

PS. I cant do MP because im color blind:(

If you just want to do four yrs. in the M.C. and get out be a police officer, my recommendation is choose the MOS that qualify you and don't worry about infrantry and security forces.

Aftter the M.C., the City P.D. will have to train you again according to their standards anyway. And with the Marine Corps background and trainings, you will more qualify to be a police officer with any P.D.

richerich
03-20-09, 08:56 PM
Bla, bla, bla... If you really think you are NOT colorblind, get a letter from a civilian Doctor, and take it to them and say you were misdiagnosed...

Whatever job you get in the Corps, it's what YOU make of it.