View Full Version : Giving back: Spencerville man focuses on returning kindness

thedrifter
03-18-09, 07:49 AM
Giving back: Spencerville man focuses on returning kindness
Comments 1 | Recommend 2
March 17, 2009 - 7:17 PM
J.D. Bruewer
Published March 18, 2009

SPENCERVILLE - George Cox had many chances to become bitter; he chose to focus on the kindness of his community and work to return it.

While serving with the Marines in Korea in 1953, he brought home the body of his only brother, Paul Cox, who died while serving in the Army.

In 1961, he and his wife, Mary, saw their 2-year-old daughter, Patty, die from cancer.

Our world was devastated," he said.

Six months later his 13-month-old daughter was diagnosed with cancer but survived. Six years later their eldest daughter, Kathy, died from cancer. She was 11.

In 1974, their house burned to the ground after an accident while remodeling.

The response of his community in his times of trouble set him on the path of service.

"It was shortly after their little girl passed away in 1961, because of the tremendous response of their friends, churches and community, that George and Mary wanted to help others in need," Edward Moorman wrote in his Jefferson Award nomination letter.

Cox said Moorman is more deserving of the award.

"If you were in a war, and had to be in a foxhole, this is the man you'd want to be with, Mr. Ed Moorman. He's the most dedicated American I ever met. For him to nominate me is such an honor," Cox said.

An abbreviated list of Cox's service includes his leadership at Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 6772 in Spencerville, where he has served as post commander; founded the chicken and fish fries to raise funds for youth programs; founded the annual Christmas party for underprivileged children; founded the Spencerville VFW's clown unit. He continues to volunteer as "Herbie the Clown," entertaining at nursing homes and the VFW National Home, among other locations. The fish-and-chicken fries have raised more than $250,000 and the Christmas party has provided gifts for 4,100 kids.

He volunteers at the Good Samaritan Food Pantry and is a 14-gallon blood donor with the Red Cross. His family has been making and distributing fruit baskets to elderly and shut-in residents for about 45 years.

He has served on the Allen County Veterans Service Commission Board for 14 years, serving as president in 2008. He has been a state and district commander for the VFW as well.

"I dedicated my service to, not only my brother, but all the veterans who paid the supreme sacrifice."

In 2006 he was inducted into the Ohio Veterans Hall of Fame.

Ellie