PDA

View Full Version : Cox golf tourney raises $75,000 for Marines

thedrifter
03-18-09, 07:38 AM
Tuesday, March 17, 2009
Cox golf tourney raises $75,000 for Marines
Despite tough economy, benefit golf tournament for injured Marines sells out.
By MARK EADES
The Orange County Register
Comments | Recommend

COTO DE CAZA The tough economy did not affect the Cox Community Golf Tournament, with the tourney raising $75,000 for the Injured Marine Semper Fi Fund.

The tournament, which took place on Monday, March 9, at the Coto de Caza Golf & Racquet Club, had 40 Marines on hand, along with cast members of "The Real Housewives of Orange County." According to officials with Cox Communications, the tournament sold out.

One of the Marine golfers there was Master Sgt. Davey Lind, who lost both his legs at the knees when his vehicle was attacked by a pressure IUD north of Baghdad.

"Through a road to recovery and the support of the Injured Marine Semper Fi Fund, I'm back living a completely normal life," said Lind. "My wife had the ability to leave her job at a moment's notice, leave all the household bills, and be by my side."

Since its inception in 2004, the Injured Marine Semper Fi Fund has been helping Marines, sailors and their families cope with the financial hardships they face on the road to recovery. For more information visit: www.SemperFiFund.org.

Cox Cares, a nonprofit foundation set up by Cox Communications to donate funds to local non-profits and was the primary organizer of the event. For more information visit: www.cox-cares.org.

Additional sponsors included: Ketel One Vodka, 4 Copas Tequila, Motorola, Disney and ESPN Networks, BigBand Networks, Team Fishel, Jarhead Red, Baja Fresh, Hanna's, PNH Technology, Pacific Building Care, Firestone Walker Beer, Alcatel-Lucent, Discovery Communications, the Orange County Business Journal, C&M Communiqué, The OC Gazette and MilitaryAvenue.com.

Contact the writer: meades@ocregister.com or 949-454-7352

Ellie