PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a few answers:)

D Dancy23
03-18-09, 04:26 AM
Hello there, this is my first post ever, I have a few questions about joining.

I'm currently 16 years old. I turn 17, May 5th. I have my GED, and my parents are willing to sign for me to join.

That being said, I am worried about one problem I have. 2 years ago, while playing highschool football, I injured my back, ( 1 bulging disc ) and since then I have had no pain in my back, My uncle is in the marines, he is a Gunny, but he told me I need to train my back for extreme conditioning, and I have been trying to.

I guess my question is, will it be an automatic DQ?

As for my next question, I have 2 tattoos. One being on my forearm, My recruiter said that he could get me a waiver with no problem for the one on my forearm, because it is in no way gang related. ( its my last name )
As for my other tattoo, its on my upper arm, and cant be seen unless I dont have a shirt on, will I need a waiver for this?

Thank you very much for your time in reviewing my post, and any responses are greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

0231Marine
03-18-09, 06:37 AM
You're 16 with two tattoo's and you already have a GED? Are you home schooled?

As for the back issue, that's for the medical board to decide but I'm pretty sure it's not an automatic DQ.

The tattoo's will both need waivers because they will need to be documented. This should be no big deal and I wouldn't worry about it.

Keep in mind though that the Marine Corps only accepts a certain amount of GED applicants every year so there is no certainty that you'll get in. The best thing to do is go speak with your recruiter and get all the information available.

NoRemorse
03-18-09, 07:27 AM
Your profile seems acceptable. Use the search feature on the website extensively before asking a question.

You may or may not get a GED waiver with the limited number of boat spaces available. You may have to look into college credits (15 credit hours from a regionally accredited college). If you're hunting for the GED waiver be prepared to write a short essay explaining why you have a GED and not a high school diploma.

To add to the CPL's response, you'll need a good amount of supporting medical documentation from a physician saying that you'd be good to go. It won't mean an automatic waiver but it will help get your foot in the door.

As for your uncle, he's in the Marines (always capitalized, it's a proper title) and he may be a Gunny to you, but to a prospective poolee every service member you meet will be <Rank> <Last Name> unless otherwise noted. You call a GySgt at your RSS Gunny without him deciding its kosher for you to do so and you'll be learning a quick lesson in respect at the hands of an SNCO.

D Dancy23
03-28-09, 02:36 AM
Hello, and thank you for your responses, Sorry mine were so delayed.

As you asked 0321Marine, Yes, I am 16 (I'll be 17 as of May 5th.) But, I was not home schooled. I dropped out of highschool last year. I got my GED a few weeks back, had to get an Age Waiver stating my reasons why I needed one. I only got approved because I told the school board I would be joining the Military, and my mom had to also write a letter stating the same thing. And thank you very very much for you're response, and I hope I answered the questions you asked me! :)

NoRemorse, Thank you very much for you're response. You cleared alot of it up for me, As for not capitalizing Marines in my first post, I apologize. I thought I got all my p's and q's right! But I missed one! :(
As for the GED Waiver part. I know I have a slim chance but, the recruiter I was talking to, told me to get my GED, and come in when im 17 and that he will take care of the rest.

As of right now, my major concern is my bulging disc (Im not positive if its even there anymore, and I can't get an MRI done to recheck and make sure im good, because I dont have medical insurance. But, ive been working out, running alot, just things I feel I need to do to get myself prepared. I mean, I feel great I havent had back pain at all in a long time.

Also, I apologize for not using the proper statement when calling my uncle a Gunny. Ive never really called him a Gunny hes always been Eric to me, If anyone is stationed in Paris Island (hope I spelled it right.) You may know him, GySgt Queen.

But my last question I have for all of you is you think i'll be able to get a waiver for my 1 bulging disc?

Thank you all for your time, and sorry if I had some errors on this.
Thank you once again!
-Dominic

CplDay
03-28-09, 04:45 AM
The thing with a back injury is its neer gone, you will need to get a legitamate doctor to verify your ability. If you get accepted and you get to SD/PI and get injured in training you will be there and a burden on the system. I suggest you make damn sure your back ain't wrecked!

D Dancy23
03-29-09, 12:16 AM
I personally think it is gone. I mean, (not that it is any matter i guess ) me and my recruiter went hunting. Well he didnt know I was gonna be one of his recruits. But we went hunting and I loaded up firewood, ( Including a base of a tree that was like 200lbs at least ) and lifted it and carried it with no problem, carried 2-3 bags of 50lb corn on my shoulders with no problem, was able to drag a 250 lb hog back. stuff like that no pain at all.

I just really wanna be a Marine. its all I wanna do. ive been running and working out, dropped from 235 down to 215 in 3 weeks. cut soda out of my drinking habits. and I feel better than ever, and I believe Marine Boot Camp would make me feel even better.

thanks again for your replies!