PDA

View Full Version : Open Exhaust

NoRemorse
03-17-09, 08:18 AM
:flag:Cause quite frankly, nobody likes back pressure.

Unless you like california standard emissions or rice grinders that actually friggen need back pressure to suck everything out of the manifold and into the cat...

Back to business; we needed a car thread so here it is. Griping and b!tching is allowed and highly encouraged. Good times under the hood and working on the undercarriage are also welcome.

Welders and such are very welcome; like I'll buy you a six-pack welcome.

I have... unfortunately at times... be a rice grinder guy for most of my life. First car was an Eagle Talon in the mid 90's... AWD, lots of fun, no space under the hood; crashed it.

Then a 92 Civic DX. Piece of crap... you know the type, put stickers on it and you get 5hp. Awesome! Junked it. My first American car bought outright was an 86 Jeep Cherokee. Had it a total of four days... well I really only drove it the one day and I blew out the water pump on a warm summer day on the Thruway.

After that I drove my parents around for a while... mom had a Chevy blazer... a 95 with a vortec v6... not the fun 94 with the 5.4 v8 that could actually haul. Got that one stuck in six feet of mud. Only time I was ever able to balance tires with a hose.

After my bit of time in the service I got my hands on a 99 Maxima. If you stripped the interior clean you could put the car on the track. Had a nice aggressive 5 speed (with a shot 2nd gear syncho, which was a shame cause that car had a nice 2nd gear when you could get it in there). I wasn't inclined to replace the 2nd gear assembly... because I was broke.

The next car after that was a 02 TL Type S. This was a smart guy. The owner was rich, German and a lawyer. I paid half of book for a car with an upgraded aftermarket suspension, and high performance tires that's only ever been tearing up the highway on 684, 84, and the Taconic.

I'll leave it to you guys to start tossing some real, actual, honest-to-God American muscle in here. I've never owned a muscle car, but I've had fun working on them and some American light trucks. Lots of fun and easy access compared to these rice grinders and kraut wagons that needed a scan tool just to replace a burnt out head light.

Semper Fi.

GSEMarine94
03-17-09, 09:26 AM
Outstanding thread NoRemorse;
Lets see my first real car was a 69 Chevelle with a 307, thing would run but a neighbor with a GTO smoked me on a daily basis.
Funnest car I ever drove was a 73 T-bird (my moms) had a 469 police interceptor motor, after you hit 80 that thing was the smoothest ride in the world.
Currently have a 69 Mustang fastback, stripped all the way down. Had a straight six which I have long gotten rid of and am currently looking for a 351 Cleveland. Unfortunate;y I have no place to work on it so it sits in my brother in laws body shop. I hope to make it a father and son project.

Welders and such are very welcome; like I'll buy you a six-pack welcome.

Damm wish I lived closer to you, the Corps sent me to Navair welding school for tig and stick, and I'm always up for a free beer :beer:

NoRemorse
03-17-09, 09:35 AM
We may all have to head down south for a Leatherneck reunion. You'd definetely get your beer then. :p

I'm not gonna make that trip in the TL. I wanna buy a mid to late 70's Z car. I'd love a stock 280Z; it's rice but it's classic rice and I'd at the very least have fun trying to follow a big block (until I can overtake on a turn for a few seconds!)

390 Mach I
03-17-09, 11:42 AM
:flag:

I'll leave it to you guys to start tossing some real, actual, honest-to-God American muscle in here. I've never owned a muscle car, but I've had fun working on them and some American light trucks. Lots of fun and easy access compared to these rice grinders and kraut wagons that needed a scan tool just to replace a burnt out head light.

Semper Fi.

Check out my profile album for some real FoMoCo American Muscle.

:cool:

giveen
03-17-09, 11:51 AM
I drive a 2001 Ford Focus with Stage 2 camshafts, cold air intake, 65mm throttlebody, 4-2-1 racing headers, 2.25" open exhaust, and adjustable cam gears.

its also got some kind of fuel problem and wont let me accelerate past 3500 rpm :( Spent over $500 trying to fix it.

NoRemorse
03-17-09, 12:00 PM
You needed a new computer or your fuel rail was shot cause of the new camshafts and headers?

Fords around that year also had a lot of problems with the emissions systems. EGR valves sticking, solenoids crapping out.

giveen
03-17-09, 12:08 PM
I've replaced the fuel pump and fuel filter and a bunch of sensors.

What is weird is that it was working for quite some time, and then I got up one morning and it was bogging like crazy.

Phantom Blooper
03-17-09, 12:13 PM
Open Exhaust
Cause quite frankly, nobody likes back pressure.

When I have back pressure....farting helps....pardon the noise....but it is the sound of freedom!

:evilgrin:

NoRemorse
03-17-09, 12:14 PM
You might have an emissions problem and not be coding. I've had friends with different model Fords around that year have problems with sensors popping up on codes and the problem being an actual component of the emission system.

giveen
03-17-09, 12:16 PM
You might have an emissions problem and not be coding. I've had friends with different model Fords around that year have problems with sensors popping up on codes and the problem being an actual component of the emission system.
LOL, of course I have an emission problem....that is I dont HAVE a emission system. (No cat)

The only code my computer is throwing is saying that I am putting out way to much emissions. I call it the liberal environmentalist code.

NoRemorse
03-17-09, 12:19 PM
Nah, the Cat isn't the ony part of the emissions system. You can run open, not have a signal from the cat and get a code popping up but the problem is something sticking elsewhere.

You're not all of a sudden going to get a timing map not allowing you to run past 3.5 unless there's an issue elsewhere and its usually in the rest of the emissions system for Fords around that year.

I think you should follow Phantom Blooper's idea and have it fart before you blow a gasket :p

giveen
03-17-09, 12:23 PM
LOL, well here is the thread on my Ford Focus website trying to help me with the problem.
http://forums.focaljet.com/team-tech/557593-bogging-under-wot.html

Next on the list to try is the crankshaft position sensor. As soon as the wife lets me spend the $50 on it, considering I just spent $250 on an oil change and getting a new ignition cylinder installed.

NoRemorse
03-17-09, 12:28 PM
Sounds like an EGR problem I diagnosed a while back on an expedition. Guy replaced just about everything else, all the sensors and it was the EGR valve sticking.

giveen
03-17-09, 12:29 PM
EGR valve has been replaced. lol.

NoRemorse
03-17-09, 12:43 PM
LOL! Solenoid and all eh? I'll have to consult ALL-DATA for this one.

giveen
03-17-09, 12:46 PM
The only thing I do know of for sure is that my fuel pressure is low on the rail. About 14lbs and it should be at 40lbs.

NoRemorse
03-17-09, 12:59 PM
I lost my train of thought, I was going more for a transmission problem. Like it goes WOT, the NSS pops and the rev limiter kicks in and kills it.

Your rail's only reading 14 pounds? I'm assuming its that Jersey air :p

Did you have the joy and pleasure of hunting for a dirty ground or one of the myriad of relays running to the PCM? Stupid fan relay!!!

giveen
03-17-09, 01:27 PM
My rev limiter is at 6750 rpm per manufacture.
Yeah its only pushing 14lbs so I am thinking it has something to do with fuel but not sure.

NoRemorse
03-17-09, 01:29 PM
My rev limiter is at 6750 rpm per manufacture.
Yeah its only pushing 14lbs so I am thinking it has something to do with fuel but not sure.

I mean your rev limiter when the trans is neutral should cut you off at about 3.5, that's why I was going the NSS short on WOT route. Fvcking causality!

What'd the dealership say? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.... that's always a good one.

giveen
03-17-09, 01:39 PM
I mean your rev limiter when the trans is neutral should cut you off at about 3.5, that's why I was going the NSS short on WOT route. Fvcking causality!

What'd the dealership say? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.... that's always a good one.
I havent taken it to a dealership yet, but I took it a good auto shop that my father-in-law recommended.

Their response:
"Yup, you got something wrong there, its only pushing 14lbs at the rail, we replaced your fuel filter, your car is still broke, that will be $150"

NoRemorse
03-17-09, 02:11 PM
Did they at least wash the damn thing?

Good luck with the fuel rails... they're fun enough to pull... and the lines... fuggedaboutit!

giveen
03-17-09, 02:18 PM
I might look into the fuel rail sensor

sscjoe
03-17-09, 02:56 PM
Well I can say that I have no idea wtf kinds of mechanical things you guys are talking about. I like old school, 69 Chevy Nova 327 350 horse, Hurst 4 competiton in line Holley 4- barrel. I had that car until 72 when I blew the sh-t out of second gear and left parts all over the road.

giveen
03-17-09, 03:08 PM
Thats the sad thing about todays cars, its more computer than engine.

charm1110
03-17-09, 03:35 PM
well I really only drove it the one day and I blew out the water pump on a warm summer day on the Thruway.

I'm not a mechanic but have had to learn a little out of necessity..right now am working on a water pump replacement on a 1990 lexus ls400. doing it with my oldest son. car belongs to my father-in-law who called a mechanic and got a quote on it for $1000.00. I'd much rather save him the money and get my boy under the hood for some OJT. hard to find info on that model though I did find some on the internet. The only real ***** I have so far is you gotta take half the engine apart to get to the water pump, not like my old f-150 I can do that in about 20 mins. :D

bigirongunner
03-17-09, 04:45 PM
73 Dodge charger 318ci 904 trans, 650cfm edelbrock thunder series. burnt the motor racing a M3. 67 chevy c10 short bed 350 4 speed with cam, intake and thunder series edelbrock, headers and side...

Sgt Jim
03-17-09, 05:13 PM
Got a 93 GMC,4.3 L.5 speed,open rear end,not much exhaust past the cat. sounds ok like a Massy Ferguson tractor. now my bike sounds much better,has long shots exhaust and a fuel programer.runs pretty good with that setup

SGT7477
03-17-09, 05:38 PM
When I got out of the Corps I bought a 69 Dodge Super Bee, 383 Magnum 4speed, that car would go just ask the guy with a Mercury Cyclone with a 429 the only thing he saw was the back end of one fast Dodge, but I'm GM all the way as I've owned them all.

commdog7
03-17-09, 05:55 PM
I'll be lucky if I can understand 50% of this discussion.... I have a car- that's about all I can contribute.

Hopefully I simplified this complex discussion.

bigirongunner
03-17-09, 05:59 PM
Mopar for life

SGT7477
03-17-09, 06:06 PM
I'll be lucky if I can understand 50% of this discussion.... I have a car- that's about all I can contribute.

Hopefully I simplified this complex discussion.
Come aboard for the ride it could get fast and furious,lol.:flag:

Mytcbra96
03-17-09, 07:02 PM
my rides are...96 Mystic Cobra and a 59 T bird...My new car returning home from Nam was a 69 Mach 1. then traded that for a 71 Boss 351
Teds Boss (http://www.mustangmonthly.com/featuredvehicles/82218/)

03-17-09, 09:34 PM
My current toy is a '68 Chevelle Malibu with a Vortec-head 350 built by myself. 10.25:1 compression, premium gas required. Comp XE268 cam, Performer RPM, 650 vac. sec. Holley (I call it the controlled leak). TH350, and one-wheeler-peeler. Upgraded the suspension with Hotchkis springs, KYB gas shocks. The speedo doesn't work yet, going by the tach top speed so far is 127mph. Limited by safety confines of roadway (I'm not doing that on the interstate, can't afford the ticket!) and unwillingness to wind it out for all it's worth yet. It's fun, and hot cars still get the girls wet!

NoRemorse
03-18-09, 07:42 AM
Whoa, now we're talking about cars that are purely mechanical? No codes, no sensors, no computers? No freakin' way! Now we're talking about some serious gear headery.

3522, how long till your tires burst or are you riding on mickeys?

New topic; for all of you standards up there.... we'll include shift kits, ratchet shifters, "tree on the tree" and some of the more serious 3-speed and 4-speed AT (like a 400 turbo if you like to haul ****)... how many times have you shot a valve/piston/ring/crank/pump/or your beloved Holley 4 barrel through the hood?

I suppose we can include rice rockets cause a lot of these young kids (my generation) don't know not to shift down to 2nd at 80 on the highway with a stock gearbox.

DocGreek
03-18-09, 08:22 AM
I've got a 77' Chevy Scottsdale, step-side, with....4:11 Posi rear, T350 tranny, shift kit and 2000Stahl Conv., and a Pro-Built, 4 bolt 383cu.in., ported, and polished, balanced, Edelbrock intake with a Holly 650 "dripper", "street" cam, Headman headers, with a 2.75 exhaust W/ Turbo Muff., AND I'm JUST STARTING, THIS PROJECT!!! Already have nearly 10K in it!! Next year...700R "trick", street tranny!! Buying a 2" front, and 4" rear drop kit from L.M.C., in Kansas (??) $500.00, NOT DRASTIC!! Kit has dropped spindles for front, and shackle brackets, for rear......WE'LL SEE!! Drove it two days ago, and spins tires, with each shift!!.....LOTS MORE WORK, TO BE DONE!! Hope to have it "finished", by next spring! Replacing bed wood floor, with NICE stuff! Body, and paint, and interior.....will be LAST.....I HOPE!! I'm ALSO fixing-up my 2000 Mustang-GT, 4.6-single cam.....just headers, exhaust, K & N filter system larger throttle-body, and....comp. chip!! ONE DAY AT A TIME!!!!.......DOC

GSEMarine94
03-18-09, 10:25 AM
I suppose we can include rice rockets cause a lot of these young kids (my generation) don't know not to shift down to 2nd at 80 on the highway with a stock gearbox.

That's how I lost my 69 Chevelle, had a 350 turbo with a floor shifter. Being a dumbazz 18 year old I thought it would be "cool" to take a zip tie and tie up the lock so as to make a custom slap shifter. Went to "slap" it up another gear racing that dammm GTO and hit it to hard straight into reverse. Couldn't afford to fix it so I ended up selling it, still kicking myself for that one.

03-18-09, 11:47 AM
Whoa, now we're talking about cars that are purely mechanical? No codes, no sensors, no computers? No freakin' way! Now we're talking about some serious gear headery.

3522, how long till your tires burst or are you riding on mickeys?

New topic; for all of you standards up there.... we'll include shift kits, ratchet shifters, "tree on the tree" and some of the more serious 3-speed and 4-speed AT (like a 400 turbo if you like to haul ****)... how many times have you shot a valve/piston/ring/crank/pump/or your beloved Holley 4 barrel through the hood?

The tires are new Falken ZIEX, so I limit the tire-smoking. Plans are for a Cutlass rear end with bolt-in axles (no C-clips), 10-bolt center section w/ 3.73:1 gears. The TH350 was rebuilt with a TCI Stage 2 kit, 2200 rpm stall converter (Summit cheapie), shifted by a B&M Megashifter (ratchet-type). Exhaust is Summit ceramic-coated 1 5/8-in. headers through a Flowmaster 2 1/2in. system. I didn't like the Flowmaster muffler sound, so I replaced them with great big Dynamax mufflers. The car is kinda ugly right now, even though the stance is good, bodywork is gonna be dead last on the list.

Doc, you may want to consider a TH2004R for a transmission, they can be built to take a lot more abuse than the 700R4. They have better gear ratios, too, the 700R4 has quite a drop between 1st and 2nd. And, it's the same length as the TH350, no driveshaft shortening required. Check out the transmission forum at turbobuick.com.

NoRemorse
03-18-09, 11:53 AM
That final drive still sounds like you'll be smoking some tires. I had let myself get used to cars with a final drive gear under 3 or in the low threes. Real big difference when you get into a pick-up or older SUV with a posi-rear running a ratio close to 4.

Explains why my neck has almost no curvature I guess. Of course I won't be running anything huge. Always wanted a rice rocket with a straight six and a chassis that weighs around a ton... without stripping it.

SGT7477
03-18-09, 12:47 PM
I've got a 77' Chevy Scottsdale, step-side, with....4:11 Posi rear, T350 tranny, shift kit and 2000Stahl Conv., and a Pro-Built, 4 bolt 383cu.in., ported, and polished, balanced, Edelbrock intake with a Holly 650 "dripper", "street" cam, Headman headers, with a 2.75 exhaust W/ Turbo Muff., AND I'm JUST STARTING, THIS PROJECT!!! Already have nearly 10K in it!! Next year...700R "trick", street tranny!! Buying a 2" front, and 4" rear drop kit from L.M.C., in Kansas (??) $500.00, NOT DRASTIC!! Kit has dropped spindles for front, and shackle brackets, for rear......WE'LL SEE!! Drove it two days ago, and spins tires, with each shift!!.....LOTS MORE WORK, TO BE DONE!! Hope to have it "finished", by next spring! Replacing bed wood floor, with NICE stuff! Body, and paint, and interior.....will be LAST.....I HOPE!! I'm ALSO fixing-up my 2000 Mustang-GT, 4.6-single cam.....just headers, exhaust, K & N filter system larger throttle-body, and....comp. chip!! ONE DAY AT A TIME!!!!.......DOC
That's what we call a Heavy Chevy Doc, Get Some.:D

DocGreek
03-18-09, 10:52 PM
3522....Thanks for the suggestion....I'll look it up! This T350 is OK for stop-light runs, but not for cruising!! Buying a lowering kit, this week....2in. in the front, and 4in., in the rear....DEFFINATELY need STICKYIER TIRES!! I want it to be "Streetable", and NOT a Drag Racer, sooooo, going to be conservative with power.....NOT WITH PAINT, AND INTERIOR!!! Thanks for the help.....SEMPER FI.....DOC

Anding
03-19-09, 09:04 PM
I owned a 240sx before I enlisted. Sold it before boot camp. Hope to pick up another at my first duty station. So hard to find now!

rebuilt to oem spec/ gaskets, rings, bearings, solid mounts
header/ intake
3in exhaust/ 20in glasspack/ 4in tip
quick release hub with 330 mil mooneyes wheel
spec stage 1 clutch/ b&m short throw
s14 seats
megan 8&6k coilovers/ spl subframe spacers
002 15x8 0 offset with 205/50 faulken azenias
welded diff

Probably forgot some stuff. Damn I miss it, was a good 3 years.

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/3605/083irt.jpg (http://img27.imageshack.us/my.php?image=083irt.jpg)

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/2055/088r.jpg (http://img13.imageshack.us/my.php?image=088r.jpg)

Pete0331
03-20-09, 12:52 AM
Cars owned past and present:

1969 Cougar 351W
1972 Plymouth Valiant 2 door 318
1981 Camaro 350 (current)

On all of the above I removed the emissions crap.
Don't remember all the other mods.

NoRemorse
03-20-09, 07:36 AM
If there's one thing I've learned from this thread... it's that I need RWD.

NoRemorse
03-25-09, 12:49 PM
Driving around with no radio sucks... What sucks more is hearing your transaxles grind in the hub on the passenger side... because you have to change both... and they're ass expensive... as in you have to sell your ass.

So I ripped the console apart, pulled the antenna lead out of the radio, entered the code and voila... I don't have to listen to my axle grind!:D

iamcloudlander
03-28-09, 11:48 PM

I am almost finished with an 84 chevy silverado stepside. It has the original 305 engine and 750R4 trans but thats about all thats original. LMC has a lot of my money for replacement parts ie: boards, disc brake changeover for rear end, practically all the chrome,grill etc. Truck is in the paint shop now and I expect to get it out Monday. Then the bed goes in to be painted used original paint code Dark Brown Metallic. The interior is all new and I changed it over from a bench seat to buckets (If you change yours over to buckets find a Suburban 88-91 as they have the high back seats get the console and cut the adapters for the inside bolts out of the suburban or you won't have any place to bolt the inside front of the seat frame.)

Also first car was a 59 Impala 348 three dueces and a four speed, posi trac rearend. It was all black two door hardtop and man would it run, sold it when going to the Nam, bought a 68 Z28 350/350hp four speed posi tac, blue Camaro at the PX in Danang picked it up when I came home in Sept 68.

Quinbo
03-29-09, 12:25 AM
When I was in high school I bought a little datsun pick up for near nothing. After I had had it a couple months it started this weird accelerate then bog down then accelerate then bog down. Acted like a bucking bronco mmmmmmm mah mah mah .... mmmmmm. I had a friend with a shop and he would work on it weekends for the price of parts. Went through the fuel system and nothing. Went through the ignition system and nothing went several months of this and finally as a last resort he pulled the fuel tank. I guess the guy I bought it from lost the gas cap and replaced it with a big paper shop towel (it had a gas cap when I bought it) and the paper towel had worked its way down into the gas tank. It was broken up in little pieces and was clogging all kinds of stuff up but didn't do it all the time so hard to find. All that time, money, skinned knuckles etc. over a dang paper towel.

My first car when I was 16 was a 1970 plymouth road runner. I was working in a restaraunt bussing tables. This drunk came in and said I will give you this car, which he had gotten a DUI in, for the cost of the impound fee and $50. Uhh how much is the impound fee? $63 .... ok. He signed the title over to me right there and I and my brother went down and got it. The only thing wrong with it was a flat tire and a busted grill and hole in the radiator. We crimped the tubes on the radiator and put the wrong size tire on it and drove it home. It had a 383 in it and more or less fast family car.

My brother is more mechanically inclined than I am and he worked on it every day and I just threw money at it. We took turns driving it on dates and such. He got a ticket for exhibition of speed and lost his license. All mine for a while after that. He joined the air force and went on his way. I got a ticket from the same cop on the same street a year later for exhibition of speed and lost my license. I joined the Marines shortly after and sold it to a guy for $1,500 the day before I left for boot. My recruiter fixed it up so the suspension on my license ended the day I shipped.

I often wonder how much that car is worth now?

03-29-09, 12:32 AM
I have the '77 Chevy Scottsdale 1/2 ton pickup that my Dad bought new in '77. He worked in construction, and by the time I inherited it , it had to have easily 400,000+ miles on it. When my (now) wife came along, she brought a welded aluminum 20' jet boat to the party! :yes: Dad's tired old PU wasn't having fun trying to drag that thing around. So, I bought a buddy's '74 Chev P/U for the Goodwrench crate engine that it had in it, with the intention of swapping the engine into Dad's PU, and parting the rest. This pickup had a 3" suspension lift, a 3" body lift, and 35" tires. So, I'm taking the engine out of this too-tall truck with my engine hoist (cherry-picker), and it kinda gets off-balance, and starts to fall over sideways. I actually thought, for .23 of a second, that I was gonna keep it from going over by pushing it back upright. http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-basic/slaphead.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org) Instead, I got out of the way and let it fall. It hit the ground at the front of the engine, breaking the front of the crankshaft off `just behind the harmonic balancer. So, after I procured an oil pan off ebay (the crate engine had provisions for dipsticks on BOTH sides!) and swapped the crank, balancer, and timing chain cover from Dad's PU, I had a running truck again. I swear, I have the same luck with cars (& trucks) as I do with wimmen! I guess it's true, if if has tits or tires, you're gonna have trouble with it! I'm still not giving either one of 'em up, though!

MLMonk
03-29-09, 12:48 AM
I had a 3" lifted 1990 Cherokee with 33" tires, straight pipes, no cat with a K&N cold air intake and a straight 6 4.0L engine, too bad it was an automatic. I went offroading one day on a normal Florida afternoon and leaked the antifreeze tubes and later on cracked the engine block clean in half, sold it for $800.

Now I bought a rebuilt 2.5L I4 4spd 1986 Jeep Comanche for $1000 and planning on lifting it 5" w/ 33" tires on 4" backspacing black 8holed 15" 10.5 rims, cold air intake, taking cat/muffler off,installing CB Radio, Hi-Lift, Warn Cherokee off-road bumper with winch attachment, 2 KC lamps and 4 on top the roll bar I'm going to make for it and replace the radio with a JVC one. Should cost around $3000 for this off-road machine. Might replace the rear axles with 4.10 ratio's for better acceleration, since this doesn't have any lol. Lockers don't make off-roading fun so those are useless to me.

TTX
03-29-09, 03:11 AM
I missed my 89Toy Supra twin turbo when I was stationed on Okinawa, and I wished that I could bring it back to the states. After I got back, I bought another 89 Supra with single turbo but it was not as fast compared to twin turbo.

MT3533
03-29-09, 03:50 AM
I have had a bunch of vehicles along the way, but none matches my 1200 HD Sportster, with Hance and Hines pipes. Loud, mean and nasty!

Mindgame
04-01-09, 02:25 AM
I have... unfortunately at times... be a rice grinder guy for most of my life. First car was an Eagle Talon in the mid 90's... AWD, lots of fun, no space under the hood; crashed it.

There is a huge differance in owning one of these things in the 90's, and owning one now. ****, there is a huge differance just in the past few years.

The aftermarket platform has grown alot. **** for only $600, you can have a setups that can adjust almost anything electrical in the car. From adjusing your air/fuel, to turning you fan on or off. Let alone everything else that they have come out with.

The DSM scene is nothing like owning a Nissan, or honda. All these parts have been made by guys who just loved tinkering with these cars and trying to get them to go faster.

For a fairly cheap price you can make these things do some things you old v8 guys couldn't imagine. Remember this is with half the engine of a mustang, or a camaro, So where not looking at 10's with the normal car. The mojority of these things can be in the low 12's with about $2k.

This is a buddy of mine. Car is registerd and still driven on the road once in a while. 11.1 isn't bad for a toy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0PB8PcMpoY&feature=related

If you want faster. How about a 7 second 4 cylinder?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwNzbcEXudE

Still not fast enough for you? How about a 6 second 4 cylinder?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkGMEyIu_hw

I stand by these things. They are just a great little car to have a blast with. East to work on, easy to mod, and fun as hell to drive.

Pete0331
04-01-09, 02:31 AM
I often wonder how much that car is worth now?

$20,000 to $30,000

NoRemorse
04-01-09, 07:47 AM
Great points mindgame. I could have picked up a 2003 3.5l engine from a 350z for $800 but didn't think it would be an easy fit into my 99 maxi. Then I talked with a guy who runs up and down the NE between dealerships who swapped one into his....

He told me it was a straight drop... $800 and a stripped interior would have given me a 12 second car or better (already had the stage 2 and a 12lb flywheel in there and now I'm told they would have bolted on just fine.)

I cried for a bit because I had just sold the Maxi when I found out you didn't need to start pulling computers out of junk '03 altimas to mate to the new block...

On that note... I'm thinking about an AWD conversion to my TL because I like to dump cash into money pits... That or I buy a Z car, bore out that tiny little block and have a local shop inject titanium and take it up past 3 liters... Did I mention they're light cars? Amazing what fewer computers and emission control systems get you.

Fvck that safety chit.

locologe
04-01-09, 02:29 PM
1969 Dodge Dart Swinger 493 stroker motor, 12.5:1 compression, 18 spline hemi 4 speed, 4.30 geared limited slip rearend, big and little tires,
1976 Dodge D-100 2 wheel drive short box, rebuilt 400 Big Block, 4 speed, 3.23 geared limited slip rearend.
Only thing left to do is body and paint on both of them.
The only words I can say about driving the Dart, is "Its Brutal"
Wes, if Your out there, its even faster now! Also do You still have that Roadrunner?
My brother sold his Superbee.
Semper Fi

SGT7477
04-01-09, 07:27 PM
1969 Dodge Dart Swinger 493 stroker motor, 12.5:1 compression, 18 spline hemi 4 speed, 4.30 geared limited slip rearend, big and little tires,
1976 Dodge D-100 2 wheel drive short box, rebuilt 400 Big Block, 4 speed, 3.23 geared limited slip rearend.
Only thing left to do is body and paint on both of them.
The only words I can say about driving the Dart, is "Its Brutal"
Wes, if Your out there, its even faster now! Also do You still have that Roadrunner?
My brother sold his Superbee.
Semper Fi
What year Super Bee did he have, I had a 69 wish I still had it?

locologe
04-02-09, 10:13 AM
It was a 69 like Yours, also had the 4 speed too, but the shift handle was the "Pistol Grip" variety.
Had the 2 hood scoops, with the correct air filter/box.
Anyway, he swapped in a 440 that had been mildly built.
Was Red with red interior and black stripe around the rear quarters.
He got 14k for it. It needed a new door, front fender and rear 1/4 panel work, after his kid crunched it all down the side of the house one day.

DocGreek
04-03-09, 05:36 AM
Put my 77' Chevy Stepside/Scottsdale, in a body shop, to "try" to get it finished!! Getting it lowered, 2"-front, 4"-rear, new spindles and rebuild the susp., and steering crap!! Strip, and paint the interior, make a "list" of chrome, and billet goodies. COMPLETE body, and bed "RE-DO".....expensive!! Not the parts.....the LABOR!! Gonna' "de-chrome", and "wipe-clean", the cab of xtra crap. Door handles???? Maybe just locks, and opener springs? Billet, rolled tube grill, and trick hood opener. ALL NEW weatherstrip for doors, and windows.....MAYBE...electric? ARE YOU READY??.......QUOTE......so far.....$8000.00! Already payed $3500.00, NO MORE.....TILL COMPLETION!!!!!......Wish me LUCK, because you know how this sh!t goes!!! COLOR......79' Corvette Medium Red, with a 'little' gold meta-flake! STREET-ROD.....comfortable, more quiet, "plain sleeper", insulated really sharp interior, and stereo....done RIGHT!!! Punched-out 383, trick T-350 trans, 4:11 Posi rear, AND.....mufflered(sp?) header, 3" exhaust.....DONE!!! Now.....I've got a dam headache, from typing all that!!! Let me know what you think.....or suggest!!.....SEMPER FI......DOC

locologe
04-03-09, 06:19 AM
One thing thats a definate positive, is that You have a Chevy and there's plenty of aftermarket parts and pieces available, including sheetmetal if needed.
I like the dropped look of those trucks and always have, tube grille will really set off the front too,.
Everything Your planning sounds good!
Maybe a "hard cover" that folds up, for the bed area? same color as the truck?
and a rear roll pan, instead of the regular rear bumper? same color too.
Of course tinted glass, and the exhaust, theres a few new things that can be done with that too, like an x-pipe after the headers, and theres about 5 really good muffler manufacturers. I would go with some type of aluminum coated system the entire length unless You want stainless steel $$$
It sounds like a fun truck to build, and so many possible combinations, it all boils down to, What do You want to do with it?
Will it be used to tow anything? Or just for a street cruiser/grocery getter?
Both?
I know all about the cost and how it seems to grow every time You rethink a project.
That can end up costing You, unless You have a definate idea of what You want. Or a definate budget!
Here I am with a rebuilt motor, and wishing I would have built a bigger one with more torque!
I used to have a 79 GMC Sierra, that was the BEST riding truck and most comfortable truck I have ever had. MUCH better than the Dodge I have now.
Anyway, Doc I know what Your going through!
www.extang.com (http://www.extang.com) is THE place for hard tonneau covers for the rear box.
e-bay has lots of stuff too. or craigslist also.
I have probably bought parts from almost every state in the union, except for Alaska and Hawaii.
Wish I could be a better help to You.
Semper Fi

DocGreek
04-03-09, 07:01 AM
THANK'S FOR THE ADVICE!! Told the body shop to use "LMC", for parts.....they've got EVERYTHING!!! Lowering kits, wood bed floor kits, ALL the weatherstrip, and molding, plastic vents for dash A/C.....I've used them before, and, so far.....no trouble! I should have been more clear, but I had a "custom" dual exhaust, with headers, made for the truck....$$$$!!!! I drove it, before putting it in the body shop, and.....HAULS BUTT!!! Going to have to buy an overdrive trans....really needs that 4th gear......NEXT YEAR!!!! Piece by piece, day by day.....and $ by $, EVERY DAY!!.....DOC

SGT7477
04-03-09, 08:02 AM
It was a 69 like Yours, also had the 4 speed too, but the shift handle was the "Pistol Grip" variety.
Had the 2 hood scoops, with the correct air filter/box.
Anyway, he swapped in a 440 that had been mildly built.
Was Red with red interior and black stripe around the rear quarters.
He got 14k for it. It needed a new door, front fender and rear 1/4 panel work, after his kid crunched it all down the side of the house one day.
Mine was red too with the black stripe and bee on the rear quarters, the 4 speed was a T handle, mine had the built up bubble hood with chrome outlining it, I bought mine in 1977 when I got out of the Corps for 1600 bucks and the 383 Magnum had a fresh overhaul, wish I still had the car.:flag:

04-03-09, 12:51 PM
Doc, they don't call it body shop jail for nothing! And, I think all on this thread understand the rule of three when it comes to projects. That is, estimate the cost of everything you're gonna do to it, using retail prices and factoring in shipping, etc. Take that figure, triple it, and that's the low end of the cost estimate of any project. Which is bad news for me, since I just dragged a new/old project home April Fools' day (how appropo!). It's a motorcycle, I'll post up on it after I get home from visiting my sister.

sdk87to91
04-03-09, 03:24 PM
I was driving around Tustin CA one night somwhere between 88 and 91; and I got stopped by a cop who could hear, but couldn't see the dual tail pipes on my 78 Camaro. He said something like "I can hear that your car doesnt have tail pipes".
We got down there together and I showed him the complete dual exhasut from headers, exhaustt pipes, turbo mufflers, and tailpipes. He was surprised but after seeing my New Mexico registration he let me go.

I got stopped several other times while I was out there, but never got any serious pressure to reregister or update my vehicle. I guess those cops probably secretly liked my *****in Camaro and wanted to hlep out a Marine who was only a temporary resident.

I later learned that we really were supposed to reregister within about 60 or 90 days or such..... Unfortunately that car probably still lives in CA in some junk yard somewhere.....

sdk87to91
04-03-09, 03:31 PM
Does anyone know if I can put the amazingly awesome and smooth running 500 cubic inch engine from my 75 Cadillac El Dorado into my '77 GMC jimmy?
The El Dorado has a front wheel drive with an automatic tranny, and the Jimmy has a 350 engine with the standard. They are both GM and nearly the same era, so I have not abandoned all hope.
I would really love to keep the Caddy, but am watching it deteriorate more every year and right now I need another engine or at least another cam inthe Jimmy. The caddy needs a tranny or a rebuild on the tranny.

I dont get on here much so a Personal message may be more useful for me if anyone knows. Thanks.

Sgt Jim
04-13-09, 10:19 PM
Not sure,might have to make the motor mounts.that engine was also in a rear drive caddy,most had a th400 trans.might be able to use big block motor mounts for a bigger chevy sedan,seen that motor put in a Henry J and a Metropolitan

sdk87to91
04-14-09, 03:55 PM
That is encouraging. I too have heard of "other application of the Eldorado 500 engine. A tow truck driver, who was towing me home after one of the front whell drive axles broke, told me he used them in international scouts for "Rock Crawling" He said it bolted right up.

sdk87to91
04-14-09, 04:06 PM
I also have another car that is worth more to me sentimentally than it would ever be to anyone else. It is a 91 caprice that was a cop car in Denver in it's first life. It runs on Propane. It has no gas tank but does have the fuel lines hanging there. It has a big 30 gallon propane tank in the trunk.
It is a really cool car but has so many little problems it will likely not ever run again, unless I find a stash of gold on my farm. It wouldnt pass emisions in Ft Collins, needs a new engine to pass, ( no emmisions requirements here yet though). It needs the tranny rebuilt. The anti-lock brakes freak out on snow or ice and it actually tries to keep driving. I have to throw it in neutral if I am on slick or sandy roads, before braking. The heater doesnt work and the speedometer reads about 20% too fast. The interior is falling apart.
But looks and feels so cool, low, and fast.
I brought my daughter home from the midwives in this car.
I tried to start it last week and the weeds were so thick in the engien compartment I pulled it forward 30 feetjust to be safe, but it wouldnt even lightup the dash.... It worked last spring like a charm. Maybe the weeds got to the wires.