PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Guidance/Advice

anr25
03-16-09, 06:14 PM
Hi everyone, this is my first post but I have been reading this forum for almost two years and appreciate all the insights I've gained from those who have posted. I am posting now because the time has come for me to make a decision about my future and even though I realize that only I know whats best, I think I am having such a hard time deciding because I know literally nobody with any military experience to look to for help. Hopefully some people on here can do that for me.
I am a sophomore at a very good University and I fully understand how lucky I am to be here and how useful that degree can be in the future. The problem is that I lack any motivation, direction, discipline and pride which has caused me to feel as though I am wasting my time and my life by being here. My grades are fine but I just feel extremely unsatisfied with my life. All day, I think about what it would be like to be a Marine and I am filled with a desire to make that happen like I've never felt before. I have considered the Air Force because it is the most "academic" or whatever and I even met with a recruiter but it just didn't feel right and I knew right then that I would not join any service but the Marine Corps. So now I'm forced to choose between remaining in school and spending my time dreaming about becoming a Marine while earning a prestigious degree or abandoning the degree to make that dream happen. I have considered the officer route but in all honesty, it isn't for me. I am not looking to make a career out of the military but am hoping to do my four years and get out a changed person with a serious direction in life who has done his part for this country. I think, and I could definitely be wrong, that the enlisted side is more what I'm looking for. Also, I really don't want to spend another two years here so thats a factor. That pretty much sums up my situation and I would greatly appreciate answers to any of the following questions that have been on my mind based on your own experiences.
1) Do you feel that your outlook has changed as a result of being in the Marine Corps? Do you feel you've grown at all?
2) Any regrets about joining?
3) I'm Jewish-do you think I'd encounter any anti-semitism? I would doubt it but let me know any thoughts/experiences
4) I'm willing to be very flexible with my MOS, I just want to be a Marine but are there any jobs the recruiter might try to steer a very qualified, very high ASVAB scorer towards I should look out for? Are there any jobs I might qualify for that are known to be really good I should shoot for? My ideal job would involve a lot of travel so my top choice as of now is probably enlisted aircrew-any thoughts on that MOS field?
5) What would you do if you were me? Was anybody in a similar situation that could share their experience as a Marine?

I know there would be nothing easy about life in the Corps and that is probably my favorite thing about it...if I wanted easy I'd stay in school. I just want to be able to have some pride in what I'm doing and earn the right to call myself a Marine for the rest of my life. Thanks to anyone who took the time to read this and especially to those who respond. To any Marines out there reading this, you have my utmost respect and admiration. Thank you. Alex

jungholee90
03-16-09, 07:01 PM
Well, first of all, welcome aboard Alex!

College is something I have no experience of yet, because I wanted to do something different after high school.. I can't really help you from your viewpoint, but I do know that your 2 years of college has been a lot of work. The Corps is not going anywhere and you can join once you got your degree. It won't be too late.

I'd say I've grown since I signed that dotted line and stepped on that yellow footprint. That who you were before you joined might remain, but they instill in you self-discipline, bearing, pride and other intangibles while in Recruit Training. I've become more independent and gained more insights about what I want to do with my life should I decide to get out later on. I've learned and realized some things in life that I wouldn't have thought of if I was in civilian world going through college.

Early stage of your career in the Marine Corps there are times when you are not satisfied with situation, but everyone has been through it. It gets better as you progress on. I'm glad and proud to have earned the title of Marine and some small things like that won't and should not affect you.

It's your ultimate decision to make, but I hope what I wrote helped you in any way.

PaidinBlood
03-16-09, 07:47 PM
Sorry Alex that paragraph was too long for a lowly grunt. Let's skip straight to the Q&A.

3) I'm Jewish-do you think I'd encounter any anti-semitism? I would doubt it but let me know any thoughts/experiences

I will 100% guarantee that you will. Are you seriously so thin-skinned that you will let this bother you? Nobody is going to bar you from promotion or make you wear a gold star but yes you will be constantly harassed. NEWS FLASH-it happens to all of us and it is not a bad thing. I know you think yourself too smart for combat arms but how can you expect to perform in combat when a simple insult will ruin your day? To make myself clear, nobody will persecute you but the racial/religious/minority jokes will fly freely. Try being a woman in this Corps. (Or so I hear)

4) I'm willing to be very flexible with my MOS, I just want to be a Marine but are there any jobs the recruiter might try to steer a very qualified, very high ASVAB scorer towards I should look out for? Are there any jobs I might qualify for that are known to be really good I should shoot for? My ideal job would involve a lot of travel so my top choice as of now is probably enlisted aircrew-any thoughts on that MOS field?

Very qualified? You mean good scores and a clear background? For entry level positions there is really no such thing as "very qualified". Any recruiter who says this is blowing smoke up your azz.

I hope you read me clear and understand I don't have a problem with you and I wish you the best of luck. From the outside looking in, it is impossible to really understand and I don't hold against you. Just trying to provide some insight. PM me if there's anyhting else I do or answer for you...

PaidinBlood
03-16-09, 07:55 PM
edit-should read "anything else I can do for you." Whoops.

TTX
03-17-09, 12:31 AM
Anr25,

I think what you need is discipline and one way to discipline yourself is to finish your college. Four years in college is not wasting your time and your life since it is easy for you, and you feel lucky for being there. I have been there and done that and I know college was not easy for me and most of people I known. The Marine Corps is still going to be here for you after your college.

From your context, in my opinion your are not mentally ready for the Marine Corps yet. Also, it sounds to me you have other problems that you are trying to get away from them. Unfortunately Marine Corps is not a place for people to get way from their problems, and the problems always follow them will jeopardize the M.C. mission. If what i said is wrong, please accept my apology.

I still think you should finish your college since it is easy for you. The M.C. is still going to here for you, however don't get in trouble with the laws.

JWDevilDog
03-17-09, 08:37 AM
I agree with everything that has been posted here by the other Marines. I would like to add a bit of my own insight into the thread as well. <br />
<br />
I was in a similar situation. I went to college out of...

Covey_Rider
03-17-09, 10:09 AM
I completely agree that you should finish your college. If you finish your college degree, it will open more doors for you. Then if you do decide to enlist, and you only stay in for 4 years...you can take the G.I. Bill and use it towards getting a masters or a PHD if you wanted. I don't like the idea of limiting my options, but that's just me. Don't think that going enlisted with a college degree is a bad thing either, I know plenty of enlisted Marines that have college degrees and do very well in the Marine Corps.

As far as judging you for being jewish, yes you'll get jokes cracked at you but it's not like you're going to be hated for being jewish. As stated before, everyone will get made fun of for something, from big ears to being jewish haha. We all like to talk trash about each other, it's just something we all do.

Now you asked whether or not a recruiter may push you towards a certain MOS based on your ASVAB score...from what I've seen and experienced, those who score really high on an ASVAB and have a clear background are usually encouraged to go into the intelligence field. But don't take a recruiter pushing you towards a certain MOS to be a bad thing. They can see potential in an individual and are usually pretty good judges of character.

CplKJSpevak
03-17-09, 11:18 AM
My cousin plays football at Georgetown!........here's some advice. Stay in school, Stay in school, Stay in School, Stay in School!!!! Get your degree, Get your degree, Get your degree, Get your degree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Enlist afterwards if you want, But you would be a FOOL not to go the officer route. If you drop out now, you've wasted 2 years and you are a quitter. Suck it up!!! Graduate and then come join our beloved Corps! We'd love to have a Georgetown Grad in our Officer Ranks!!!! Please take this advice seriously!!...

anr25
03-17-09, 06:45 PM
Hey just wanted to thank you guys for the responses, it was exactly what I needed to hear. I have decided to change my major to something I'll enjoy studying a lot more and I'm going to finish my degree. I think I knew all along it was the right move but hearing it from actual Marines made me believe it myself. Not even kidding- when my parents, my professors, and my dean said to stay in school I was still planning to leave but I respect your opinions far more than I do any of theirs on this particular issue and thanks to you I'm making the right choice.
As for the Jew jokes, I get those all day and can take them no problem at all. I was just worried I might actually be outcasted for it but it sounds like thats pretty unlikely which was good to hear.
Also, TTX, I think you were absolutely right with what you said and I appreciate it. I'd be running away from my life now, which is a breeze compared to the Corps, so right now I need to concentrate on whats in front of me.
I think I will set my sights on PLC for next summer and I look forward to hearin from all of you as more questions arise.
Thanks again for the input. Take care and stay safe.

p.s. CplSpevak - Georgetown football is an embarrassment but the players are some of the coolest kids I've ever known

CplKJSpevak
03-18-09, 03:15 PM
p.s. CplSpevak - Georgetown football is an embarrassment but the players are some of the coolest kids I've ever known
LOL,,,,Yes we know, it's a basketball school!! But my first cousin is getting an outstanding education. He could have gone to West Point, But he's not the military type. We are proud of him. Good luck