PDA

View Full Version : Running in Boots and Jeans

Theboyintrainin
03-15-09, 11:15 PM
I'm really comfortable in the boots (they're a year worn in and they feel like a part of me when I put them on), and I don't actually own any shorts that I can wear (too small to fit them now).

Is it bad for my feet and speed? (not that my speed's all that good, anyway)

immaproshooter
03-16-09, 12:29 AM
get a pair of running shoes, thats what you will run in the most while at boot, you need to get use to it...they issue you new balance...or at least for us they did.....you will have to run in boots n utes...... but for the mean time worry more about runnin shoes

Shrike
03-16-09, 10:32 AM
You must use proper running shoes, if you don't want to seriously and sometimes permanently, harm your joints. From this point also important not to run too often (1-3 times a week, not more) and always warm up your legs before each run.

Jeans or shorts is not really important, but in shorts you will obviously get better performance because of shorts' less weight and better flexibility

MarinesFTW
03-16-09, 08:52 PM
You must use proper running shoes, if you don't want to seriously and sometimes permanently, harm your joints. From this point also important not to run too often (1-3 times a week, not more) and always warm up your legs before each run.

Jeans or shorts is not really important, but in shorts you will obviously get better performance because of shorts' less weight and better flexibility

Run 1-3 days a week are you HIGH?!?!!? Im sorry but my sister who is in a Marathon running class former 3 time state Cross Country winner runs 7 days a week 10+ miles a day because if she takes a day or 2 off she says running becomes alot harder and makes her almost run a mile less... Running 1-3 days a week would help you improve to such a small amount that it would so stupid... If your going to run run 5 days a week... Get real running shoes and some dam shorts and you wont have the problem of only boots and pants...

meallen07
03-16-09, 09:01 PM
Well I'm going to OCS and we run in running shoes, but I'm not sure about what Boot uses. Either way I would suggest getting a decent pair, nothing is worse then injury. As far as the jean, they will hurt your time to a certain degree. My concern would be more comfort. Personally I wouldn't be able to do it.

There's something different for everyone though, so just do what works for you.

Jensen139
03-16-09, 09:04 PM
7 days a week works for your sister. But i would NEVER have someone run 7 days a week, especially at those distances. Even if they were a conditioned Marathon runner. Your body reacts and grows/gets faster when you rest/sleep not when you are working.

MarinesFTW
03-16-09, 09:06 PM
Im not saying 7 days a week it was an example to back what i was saying up.. Sorry if people get confussed lol

BR34
03-16-09, 09:29 PM
Your sister is the exception to the rule. And she will probably face some injuries when she's older. That's way too much stress on a person's legs with no rest for the muscles to recoup in between.

I wouldn't run more than 4 days a week. And even then, I alternate between long distance running, and short distance sprint/jogging.

Running 1-3 days a week would help you improve to such a small amount that it would so stupid

The Marine Corps recommends 3 times a week for PT (which usually consists of running). So I guess every Marine that does that is stupid?

MarinesFTW
03-16-09, 09:40 PM
No sir, but for me i feel running only 3 times a week seems to slow me down but i guess thats just mean and the way Ive kind of been raised... Being 4 years younger then my sister who was the #1 female athlete in the school put pressure on me to do good.. But once again as you said she and i guess i am just an excepction. And in no way did i mean to call anyone who runs 3 days a week stupid... Just to me the thought is.

Shrike
03-17-09, 08:33 AM
There is quote from the book USMC Workout (amazon.com/United-States-Marine-Workout-Revised/dp/1578261589/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1237295450&sr=1-1)(p.176, 177) on this matter.

Proper Clothing. Serious problems can arise if you allow your body to overheat. By perspiring, your body prevents overheating. Evaporation of perspiration cools the skin and helps control body temperature. Covering the body retards this cooling effect. Do not wear plastic or rubber sweatsuits. They will not allow body heat to escape and the temperature of your body will continue to rise. This can be lethal! Your running clothes need to fit loosely. They should not bind or restrict your motions.

Proper Footwear. A quality shoe is the most important investment for running. The importance of selecting a good shoe for running cannot be overemphasized. Do not run in cross trainers. Keep in mind that a shoe's ability to protect your from injury decreases as its mileage increases. You should record your daily mileage and replace your running shoes every 500-700 miles, even if there is no significant visible wear.

The Marine Core Recruit Basic Training Program issues the New Balance 497 for all incoming recruits. Obviously one shoe for 40000 recruits may not be the best shoe for everyone. But the 497 is a high-quality, "neutral" shoe, for a neutral foot. This shoe is effective for 70 percent of the recruits. Another 25 percent of recruits may have some type of a flat foot or lower arch. Another 5 percent may have a high arch. These recruits require special, more specific shoes.

KawiGunny
03-17-09, 08:56 AM
Focus on running in "go fasters" for now. Don't, let me repeat that, don't run in boots till you have to. Throughout my years, I have had numerous Marines get put on light duty because of stress fractures in their lower legs. Also getting shin splints. Running in boots is good to a certain point but to much of it is definitely bad. If, and when you do run in boots, start slow and short and work your way up.

Donut Brigade
03-17-09, 11:53 AM
Only time we run in go fasters are PFTs. When you run in boots n utes, with a camelbak, on the beach, you will be thankful the day PFT comes.

giveen
03-17-09, 11:56 AM
Pleae dont ever call them go-fasters again. You are a Marine now, its okay to call them running shoes.

immaproshooter
03-17-09, 12:04 PM
lmao

KawiGunny
03-17-09, 12:10 PM
Pleae dont ever call them go-fasters again. You are a Marine now, its okay to call them running shoes.

go-fasters
go-fasters
go-fasters
go-fasters
go-fasters
go-fasters
go-fasters
go-fasters
go-fasters

I even tell my kids to put on their go-fasters instead of tennis / running shoes. Once it's in your blood, even a transfussion won't help.

Donut Brigade
03-17-09, 04:47 PM
Our Gunny still calls them go-fasters. Plus it's the poolee forum, they gotta get used to the terminology.

Sgt Jim
03-17-09, 05:26 PM
Go Fasters ? tennis shoes ?.all we had was boots,oh i,m wrong we had a pair of tennis shoes that you wore when you got blisters on your heels or had to go to sick bay

thewookie
03-17-09, 05:28 PM
Last time I checked, whatever the Gunny said was gospel.

On the subject - I would stick to,, go-fasters for now. I'm normally the guy who suggests that you max it out, but in this case I would suggest that you play it safe. There will be plenty of time for boots n utes runs, or boots and jeans. Right now, you need to focus on being able to run 3 miles in sneakers as fast as possible.

Down the road, I would always suggest running during your off time in boots - correct fitting, modern-day technology boots. Not crappy, down- south, work on the farm boots. Good boot runs mixed in with regular "go-faster" PT, is good for you, and it's realistic, and I like to keep it real.

The one thing I can say from a far that the Marine Corps has done to help the troops is to improve the footwear. Have to take care of them dogs.

Rocky C
03-17-09, 05:38 PM
get a pair of running shoes, thats what you will run in the most while at boot, you need to get use to it...they issue you new balance...or at least for us they did.....you will have to run in boots n utes...... but for the mean time worry more about runnin shoes

You get to run in New Balance running shoes at BOOT ??????
We didn't in 1977. Boots and shorts, Boots and OD Greens.
Times, they are a changing.....
Rocky

immaproshooter
03-17-09, 05:50 PM
ya they are cheaper new balances...but ya at PI they issued us new balances back in 07

giveen
03-17-09, 05:53 PM
go-fasters
go-fasters
go-fasters
go-fasters
go-fasters
go-fasters
go-fasters
go-fasters
go-fasters

I even tell my kids to put on their go-fasters instead of tennis / running shoes. Once it's in your blood, even a transfussion won't help.
LOL, Gunny.
We had a Marine fresh out of school come to my shop and my GySgt told him to never wear those camouflage shoes ever again.

SGT7477
03-17-09, 06:15 PM
Run 1-3 days a week are you HIGH?!?!!? Im sorry but my sister who is in a Marathon running class former 3 time state Cross Country winner runs 7 days a week 10+ miles a day because if she takes a day or 2 off she says running becomes alot harder and makes her almost run a mile less... Running 1-3 days a week would help you improve to such a small amount that it would so stupid... If your going to run run 5 days a week... Get real running shoes and some dam shorts and you wont have the problem of only boots and pants...
Tell us how you really feel.:evilgrin:

SGT7477
03-17-09, 06:16 PM
You get to run in New Balance running shoes at BOOT ??????
We didn't in 1977. Boots and shorts, Boots and OD Greens.
Times, they are a changing.....
Rocky
You got that right 1974 was the same.:evilgrin:

commdog7
03-17-09, 07:12 PM

That reminds me of a time in mos school. There was this one Marine student who asked the Marine instructor for an 'ink stick'. The instructor replied, "What the HELL is an INK STICK!" That sh!t cracked me up. :banana:

Qwarkeh
03-17-09, 08:24 PM
A girl I arrived here with still calls toilet paper "head paper."

"Staff Sergeant, may I grab a roll of head paper?"

commdog7
03-17-09, 09:48 PM

I still call it head paper, and I know plenty of other Marines who call it head paper as well. Just like we refer to a 'bathroom' as a 'head'... you don't say 'bathroom' anymore do you? Real Marines call it a HEAD!

There are only a few terms in boot camp that are rarely if ever used in the fleet, but many of them are still in use. I realize you are still a boot and therefore you get a free pass. Once you're in the fleet awhile you will understand which words are used and which are not.

Semper Fidelis

PaidinBlood
03-17-09, 10:25 PM
Do ladies not call it "#2 paper"??? What an uneducated chauvinistic boot I am... :banana: That's all I've ever heard it called. TP or shiat paper. The term HEAD went out the window for us other than the actual sign over the door. It is always the shi tter or the pizzer. Port-o-johns go 50/50.

BR34
03-17-09, 10:35 PM
I def call it sh*t paper. And call the head a head and the port-o-john a...ahem, port-o-potty, ha!

immaproshooter
03-18-09, 05:02 AM
head, 5hit paper, and porta-5hitter

Theboyintrainin
03-18-09, 07:34 AM
Thanks for the advice guys I'm breaking in some shoes now. I put down probably a couple miles in 'em by now.

Nike Dart VI. Wish they didn't cost so much but mum wanted to get 'em for me.

KawiGunny
03-18-09, 09:07 AM
That reminds me of a time in mos school. There was this one Marine student who asked the Marine instructor for an 'ink stick'. The instructor replied, "What the HELL is an INK STICK!" That sh!t cracked me up. :banana:

Thats funny because after being retired, 1 yr this month, I still call them an "ink stick" here at the Academy. Some of the people look at me like WTF are you saying. They are learning. I just have to be patient with them. They are picking up on our lingo though.

ElDiablo
03-18-09, 09:44 AM
Some one I know mentioned Asics (spelling?) being issued at Boot? Any truth to this?

Theboyintrainin
03-18-09, 10:37 AM
You know, I could tell you when I come back from Parris Island, but I think one of the Marines here coudl tell you sooner.

SGT7477
03-18-09, 12:59 PM

That's a new one we just called it chit paper, times are changing.:D

MarinesFTW
03-18-09, 10:58 PM
Some one I know mentioned Asics (spelling?) being issued at Boot? Any truth to this?

I dont konw but I highly doubt that.. Like the cheap pairs r 90$ lol.. As some Marine had state before they did New Balance which would make sence... There a cheap shoe and still work perfectly fine.

immaproshooter
03-18-09, 11:08 PM
ya im the Marine that said it and it was New balance..... and new balance can be cheap but when u r flat footed and go to buy them after boot to run in...they do get pricey...but very comfortable

MarinesFTW
03-19-09, 07:10 PM
ya im the Marine that said it and it was New balance..... and new balance can be cheap but when u r flat footed and go to buy them after boot to run in...they do get pricey...but very comfortable

Yes sir, I am fairly flat footed so they do work nicely for me... I have a pair of Asics but they get very umcomfortable after a few miles.

immaproshooter
03-19-09, 09:18 PM
drop the Sir, stick with Immaproshooter or Lcpl

MarinesFTW
03-19-09, 09:21 PM
Sorry Lcpl... Just use to it I guess

MarinesFTW
03-19-09, 09:22 PM
Which brings up a quick question... Ive heard if your completely flat footed you will fail MEPS because you cant curl your toes... Any info on this?

PaidinBlood
03-19-09, 09:27 PM
Which brings up a quick question... Ive heard if your completely flat footed you will fail MEPS because you cant curl your toes... Any info on this?

I've got a pretty flat foot but when the Doc (MD type) asked me if it caused me any pain, I (honestly) answered no. Any toe curling test is probably an invention of your sex deprived recruiter. :D

immaproshooter
03-19-09, 09:48 PM
its not true they will just ask you to let them know if any of the stuff at any point in time causes pain

echo3oscar1833
03-20-09, 06:47 PM
Everynow and then I use the term head, shi$ paper, etc. I think the only time I used the word inkstick was when I was in Boot. For the most part Im back on civilian terms. That also depends on who Im around to lol. As far as running in boots, and jeans I would stick with shorts, running shoes and a tshirt. If you wanna tan, forget the tshirt. Seriously dude, if your out running around town, or mall, or at a pool function, wearing that shi$ your just making yourself look like a flaming retard. Plus think about it, if your out in town at night trying to pick up ol suzie rotten crot$% , and she recongnizes you as the weirdo running around in bluejeans and boots. You def aint going to be getting any that night :) Seriously cool factor has points with ladies. Me I got tattoos, so I tend to let them show when I run while wearing a cool pair of shades. I run to stay in shape for sure, but hey gotta keep the status up with the ladies. :marine:

Granted when your in boot camp you won't have to worry about the ladies, but I would also advise not looking cool for your DI, don't want him getting the wrong impressions ;)

echo3oscar1833
03-20-09, 06:53 PM
I've got a pretty flat foot but when the Doc (MD type) asked me if it caused me any pain, I (honestly) answered no. Any toe curling test is probably an invention of your sex deprived recruiter. :D

lmao, lets hope his recruiter is a Female :D

MarinesFTW
03-21-09, 12:49 AM
lmao, lets hope his recruiter is a Female :D
LOL!

GSEMarine94
03-21-09, 12:59 AM
Everynow and then I use the term head, shi$ paper, etc. I think the only time I used the word inkstick was when I was in Boot. For the most part Im back on civilian terms. That also depends on who Im around to lol. As far as running in boots, and jeans I would stick with shorts, running shoes and a tshirt. If you wanna tan, forget the tshirt. Seriously dude, if your out running around town, or mall, or at a pool function, wearing that shi$ your just making yourself look like a flaming retard. Plus think about it, if your out in town at night trying to pick up ol suzie rotten crot$% , and she recongnizes you as the weirdo running around in bluejeans and boots. You def aint going to be getting any that night :) Seriously cool factor has points with ladies. Me I got tattoos, so I tend to let them show when I run while wearing a cool pair of shades. I run to stay in shape for sure, but hey gotta keep the status up with the ladies. :marine:

Granted when your in boot camp you won't have to worry about the ladies, but I would also advise not looking cool for your DI, don't want him getting the wrong impressions ;)

Now that's some funny shiitt