PDA

View Full Version : Should "idiots" have to pay for the cost of rescue?

LCPLE3
03-15-09, 12:13 PM
Just read the story about a 19-year-old skier that was billed for the cost of his rescue after he was badly hurt striking a tree in an off-limits area. His bill was $845.

Should people that do dangerous sporting activities like this be forced to pay the costs of their rescue? What are some activities that should someone be injured doing also have to pay?

Wyoming
03-15-09, 12:22 PM
Let me rephrase the question.

Why should I/you have to pay ... ?

Of course they should have to pay.

Several years ago, shrimpers would take their boats out in the GOM. When the shrimp were running good, they would stay out and load up. Of course, this would burn the fuel that was necessary to return to port. So, out of fuel, what do you do? Why call the Coast Guard and they would come and tow you in. That all changed when the CG started charging for the trip out and the tow back.

ggyoung
03-15-09, 01:47 PM
A little bit of history here. Somewhere around the late 80'S just before the opening of the elk hunt here in Utah we had a very bad snow storm. The top of the mountains received about 3 to 4 feet of snow. There were hunters already camped on the top. There were 3 hunters who were way out on a ridge and tired to get back to there camp. They got stuck in a snow drift and could not get out. They had tire chains on all four tires. There buddies at camp called the sheriff who called out the county search and rec cure. These are guys who use there own trucks, atvs and take time off from work and buy there own gas. They are never payed. There rig brakes down they pay to have it fixed. Well 2 of them made there way to camp. The other froze to death. The family of the guy who froze to death sued the county and the search and rescue. The judge through the case out so damn far that it has never been found. If the county payed the search and rescue are if the family payed them then they could be sued and that could brake our county. How ever if the family gives a small donation that is ok. As long as it is a "Volunteered you can not be sued.

BR34
03-15-09, 03:04 PM
I got a question for you Big Al. What if he was skiing in a zone that wasn't off limits, and got hurt, just by chance. Should he still pay?

GSEMarine94
03-15-09, 03:19 PM
I say yes they should pay, whether they were in am off limits area or not. If you are involved in a car accident because you were driving to fast in the rain, the ambulance company will still send you a bill, right before you get the hospital bill. Emergency services are not free, so if the people who required the services do not pay then the tax payers will.

Wyoming
03-15-09, 03:31 PM
I got a question for you Big Al. What if he was skiing in a zone that wasn't off limits, and got hurt, just by chance. Should he still pay?

Yes!

Remember, it wasn't ME that hurt him, so why should I pay?

SGT7477
03-15-09, 04:40 PM
Yes they should have to pay nothing is free in this life.

Rocky C
03-15-09, 05:13 PM
PAY, PAY, PAY!!!!!!
Rocky

DWG
03-15-09, 05:49 PM
People that engage in extreme sports, mountain climbing, etc should have to post a (refundable) bond in advance of undertaking their "adventure." This would insure they were aware of the risks and willing to pay for any expenses incurred for their folly due to misfortune or misadventure!

PaidinBlood
03-15-09, 06:22 PM
Yes!

Remember, it wasn't ME that hurt him, so why should I pay?

Duh! 'Cause you went out and worked for your money. If you would have stayed home and just waited for a check like Uncle Barry told you to, then you wouldn't be worrying about this :D

Seriously, though, that is the question here-how much should WE have to pay. Those of us who bother working and paying taxes pay to have these emergency personnel on hand when we need them. They don't ask for your insurance card when you're laying in a ravine or pinned under your car. After the dust settles and the scars start healing, they have to look around for ways to recoup some of this money in order to remain solvent. Honestly, it's not even about the money as it is a deterrent. Not only do emergency personnel cost money, but they have fathers, mothers, wives, and kids. Why should they have to die because you are a moron? They volunteered to help those in need, not those in need of brain transplants.

SlingerDun
03-15-09, 10:28 PM
What are some activities that should someone be injured doing also have to pay?.

nvusmcsgt
03-16-09, 10:16 AM
If a person is in a place they should not be, example in an out of bounds area at a ski resort or on the cliffs in San Diego that say keep out and they have to be rescued, then yes they should have to pay. In the case of the hunters in Utah, no they should not have to pay the search and rescue people. Search and rescue folks get reimbursed for most stuff and also they can in most cases write off their equipment that they buy. Back the the question at hand. Like I said if you are in a place you are told not to be and you need rescued then you owe the tax payers the money to be rescued.

ggyoung
03-16-09, 11:11 AM
If a person is in a place they should not be, example in an out of bounds area at a ski resort or on the cliffs in San Diego that say keep out and they have to be rescued, then yes they should have to pay. In the case of the hunters in Utah, no they should not have to pay the search and rescue people. Search and rescue folks get reimbursed for most stuff and also they can in most cases write off their equipment that they buy. Back the the question at hand. Like I said if you are in a place you are told not to be and you need rescued then you owe the tax payers the money to be rescued.

The big problem here in the west is the family suing the search and rescue because the hunter died because of his stupid actions. If the county search and rescue was being payed to do this it leaves them wide open to a law suit. Here in Utah there is very little that S&R can write off or get reimbursed. I was a member once of the S&R.

jgorosco
03-16-09, 12:36 PM
Something else that you might not know about emergency services. If you are injured or hurt and need an ambulance here in Houston. Houston Fire Dept well charge you 489.00 for a ride to the hospital....

NoRemorse
03-16-09, 12:59 PM
sounds like a bargain. Rock-bottom rates for us here are $600-1400. A lot of the municipalities had to switch to semi-private busses who bill to insurance carriers separately.

The rest are completely subsidized or rely on donations. Medicare/Medicaid will not cover the entire cost regardless of whether or not the Deductible is paid in full.

czindms
03-16-09, 01:13 PM
There's no free lunch - someone's got to pay - as Forest said, "Stupid is as Stupid does."

Wyoming
03-16-09, 02:02 PM
There's no free lunch - someone's got to pay - as Forest said, "Stupid is as Stupid does."

Exactly what I have been trying to say.

Meaning, why should it be me??