PDA

View Full Version : 'Brothers at War' debuts in Jacksonville

thedrifter
03-15-09, 08:04 AM
'Brothers at War' debuts in Jacksonville
Comments | Recommend
March 14, 2009 - 5:29 PM
AMANDA HICKEY

Lindsey Williamson and Cpl. Nathan Williamson didn't know "Brothers at War" was playing until they checked the movie listening for Jacksonville's Carmike 16.

But once they saw that it was a documentary, the couple headed to the theater for the 1:45 p.m. showing.

"It was interesting," Lindsey Williamson said. "Parts of it get kind of emotional - being a military wife and knowing what they're going through."

"Brothers at War" is Director Jake Rademacher's "look at the U.S. military in Iraq through his brothers' eyes," according to a press release about the movie.

In the film, Rademacher twice embeds with his two brothers' units in Iraq then follows their returns home.

"Unprecedented access to U.S. and Iraqi combat units take him behind the camouflage curtain with secret reconnaissance troops on the Syrian border as well as sniper ‘Hide Sites' in the Sunni Triangle. Ultimately, the film follows his brothers home where separations and life-threatening work ripple through their parents, siblings, wives and children," according to the release.

The film opened in five military markets, including Jacksonville and Fayetteville, on Friday.

"I guess people that aren't in this situation won't understand it," Lindsey Williamson said. "(Military life) is different. I never understood it before I became a military wife."

The movie, she said, could expand the knowledge of its viewers.

"I think it can open people's eyes to what's going on over there and what's going on at home with their families while they're gone," Lindsey Williamson said.

This afternoon, Rademacher, Producer Norman Powell and Executive Producer Dave Scantling will be at Carmike 16 for a red carpet event. The trio will attend the 4:30 p.m. showing and will meet with the public for a question and answer session after the movie.

"Brothers at War" shows at 1:45 p.m., 4:30 p.m., 7 p.m. and 9:40 p.m.

On Friday, the film will open in Akron, Ohio. Openings in more military markets will initiate a national roll out.

Contact Jacksonville/Onslow County reporter Amanda Hickey at 910-219-8461 or ahickey@freedomenc.com.

Ellie