PDA

View Full Version : America’s pastime brings two groups of Leathernecks together

thedrifter
03-13-09, 08:28 AM
America’s pastime brings two groups of Leathernecks together
Courtesy: Brock Wissmiller Release: 03/12/2009

MACOMB, Ill. - When athletic director Ray “Rock” Hanson was given permission from the United States Navy in 1927 to adopt the Marine Corps’ nickname, “The Fighting Leathernecks,” as the official nickname for Western Illinois University Athletics, an instant bond was formed. On February 21, 2009, that very nickname, along with America’s pastime, united a group of young men for a chilly afternoon.

The Western Illinois baseball team opened its 2009 season with a four-game weekend series at No. 16 Oklahoma. A daunting task to face such a highly-rated opponent on the road, the Leathernecks were facing an uphill battle all weekend long.

Located just over 70 miles from the campus of Oklahoma, is Fort Sill, home of the U.S. Army Field Artillery School. When word got around to retired U.S. Marine James Mozingo, a native of Berwick, Ill., and a graduate of Roseville High School that Western Illinois would be in the area, he jumped at the chance to get these young men out to support the Leathernecks.

The Saturday doubleheader featured the coldest temperatures of the entire weekend, hovering in the 30’s. However, the wind and cold was not enough to break the spirits of the Leathernecks.

As Western was competing with one of the nation’s top teams on the field, right behind the dugout were the real Leathernecks in full support. Cheering, chanting and doing anything else possible to help the team out, the cold weather in no way deterred the spirits of these young men as they encouraged the team on the field. Since the Marines are attending artillery school, personal belongings that they can bring to the base are limited to what they can fit in a carry-on bag.

“Once they pack all the uniforms it leaves little room for personal items,” Mozingo added. “Marines that come for warmer climates stood the 34-degree weather with only a sweatshirt and t-shirt.”

This type of dedication was recognized and appreciated by the team. The only down time the players received during the day came in between the games, when they could return to the clubhouse to warm up. A group of players chose instead to come out and thank their fellow-Leathernecks for their support.

“It meant a lot to all of us to see the Marines at the game,” said head coach Stan Hyman. “They definitely took away any home field advantage for Oklahoma. They were enthusiastic and you could hear them yelling the Leatherneck name throughout the entire crowd.”

There is little need for personal items because the Marines at Fort Sill spend their time training at six different Military Occupation Specialty (MOS) schools for anywhere from five weeks to six months. The typical day for the Marines starts at 4:00 a.m. with revile and personal training at 5:00 a.m. After a 6:45 a.m. breakfast, classes begin at 8:00 a.m. and run until about 5:30 p.m., depending on their schedules. They are on liberty, or their own time from 6:30 p.m. until 9:45 p.m., when lights go out.

Once their training is done at Fort Sill, most of the men will be sent to either Camp Pendleton, Calif., or Camp Lejeune, N.C. This begins their deployment cycle, which the usual contract lasts four year, of seven months overseas and seven months back home. Those seven months back home are spent training for their next deployment and to maintain their MOS skills.

“All of us respect what they do for this country,” stated Hyman. “To have them show their support for us was something I’ll never forget. Knowing that they gave up what little free time they have from training to defend this nation makes the day all the more special.”

Mozingo works with the Marines on a daily basis at the school. Attending games at Western as a kid, he knew the long history of the Leatherneck moniker, Rock Hanson and the affiliation for the university. During his 20-year career with the Marines, Mozingo has often shared stories with Leathernecks about the school from back home that shares a deep bond with each and every one of them.

“I would talk about how I know a school and that was the only program able to carry the Marine Corps’ nickname of the Fighting Leathernecks,” Mozingo added. “Of course they never believed it so I had to breakout my purple Leatherneck Basketball Camp shirt from 1986.”

“When I accepted the job as head baseball coach eight years ago, I remember learning about the tradition behind the Leatherneck nickname,” Hyman added. “It wasn’t until I met these Marines that I fully understood how special and proud I am to be able to be a member of a school that represents such an important group of people.”

“The young Marines having that good ole Marines Corps Sprit take a natural liking to Western Illinois,” Mozingo said of his group of Leathernecks. “If you had asked a young Marine prior to the game if he thought the Leathernecks would be able to beat the Sooners, his response would be just like any Marine before him in any tough situation...Hell Yeah.”

The outcomes of the doubleheader did not go the way the Leathernecks had planned. However, that did not take away from the spirit of the day, the enjoyment of some young men with America’s pastime, or deepening the roots of a bond that was formed some 82 years ago by Rock Hanson. Holding true to all Marines is the slogan “Once a Marine, Always a Marine”. What the Leathernecks of Western Illinois do on the field does not compare to what the Marines do on their field. The members of the Western Illinois baseball team learned a valuable lesson that Saturday afternoon though, Leathernecks, of any sort, always stick together and support each other.

The 48 young Marines who came out in support of Western Illinois ship out from Fort Sill, Friday, March 13.

Ellie