PDA

View Full Version : Fitzgerald visits soldiers in Iraq

thedrifter
03-13-09, 07:11 AM
Fitzgerald visits soldiers in Iraq

by Sgt. Emily Suhr, U.S. Army - Mar. 12, 2009 05:30 PM
Special for the Republic

CAMP RAMADI, Iraq – Dressed head to toe in Marine Corps fatigues, the 6-foot-3 Arizona Cardinal nonchalantly munching on beef jerky outside the Marine Corps Exchange on Camp Ramadi, Iraq, almost fit in, save for the dreadlocks and the poster taped to a wall behind him with his photograph on it.

Larry Fitzgerald smiled casually at shocked marines and soldiers as they stumbled past him on their way into the small store. Many stopped to shake his hand or just stare. Some ran back to their living quarters to grab cameras, others bought new ones in the
exchange.

Inside the exchange, Minnesota Viking Jared Allen, also dressed in the Marine Corps uniform, shopped for new boots, while St. Louis Ram Will Witherspoon and New York Giant Danny Clark shopped around for snacks and souvenirs.

The NFL players spent the day at Camp Ramadi, March 7, visit the troops as part of a United Service Organization tour through Kuwait and Iraq.

“This is fun for us,” said Fitzgerald who is on his fourth USO tour. “When we get an opportunity to meet the people, meet the troops, it’s a lot of fun. I have family that’s in the military, so it kind of hits close to home with me. I just want to come over and show the troops my support and give them my appreciation for the sacrifices they make for us.”

After arriving at the small base in Anbar Province, the NFL players met with the base commander, shopped at the exchange and ate dinner at the chow hall with excited fans before attending an autograph session that evening.

The foursome was greeted for the autograph session by hundreds of eager Marines, Soldiers and Sailors from across base. The players didn’t disappoint.

They answered questions from the troops ranging from which other players in the league they most admire – Clark admires players like Allen and Reggie Bush, while Allen finds Peyton Manning both impressive and frustrating – to which branch of the military each would join if things were different – each followed in the tradition of their family members who have or are serving, the Air Force for Witherspoon, Marine Corps for Allen and Clark and the Army for Fitzgerald.

The players also talked about their families, hobbies and, of course, football. One Marine wanted to know what the best part of being a football player was.

“I’m doing the job I dreamt of doing as a kid,” said Clark. “That alone is something to be extremely proud of. But more importantly, I’m a big fan of uplifting people. Just like we’re here across the world hopefully picking up your morale, I do this in small towns back at home.”

As the uniformed service members cheered and laughed, it was apparent their morale had been lifted. Many waited patiently in line for more than an hour to meet the players, who didn’t leave until everyone in line had made it through. They signed their names on footballs, video games, hats and photos.

They also posed for hundreds of photographs with the often star-struck troops, many of whom later said they were surprised and impressed by the laid back attitude of the famous players.

“They get paid millions of dollars a year, way more money than I could even imagine having. You’d expect that money to maybe go to their head or for them to be pretentious or something and expect a lot of things, but they’re just down to earth, just like any other people. They’re curious about what we’re doing, just as curious as we are about them,” said Sgt. Amanda Gauthier from Puyallup, Wash., with Headquarters Company, 81st Brigade Combat Team, Washington National Guard.

“The coolest thing I found today was just talking with Jared Allen. That was fun. He’s a really interesting guy to talk to,” added Sgt. Donald Zeitler from Orting, Wash., also with HQ, 81st BCT and a Seahawks fan. “Who I wanted to see the most was probably Larry Fitzgerald because there’s kind of a rivalry between the Seahawks and the Cardinals and I’ve watched them play a lot. He’s really fun to watch play.”

The NFL stars were equally impressed with the service members. They all commented on the difference between what they see on TV and what they saw in front of them.

“We really are getting a great grasp of what’s going on and the situation and how much more is being done over here than what we really see and what you guys face day to day and how important that is, not only to us at home, but everybody here (in Iraq). I mean you guys are holding up a worldly ideal and making sure that everybody knows the U.S. military stands strong,” said Witherspoon.

Clark called the visit humbling and an inspiration. He reminded the troops that everyone at home is cheering them on and eagerly awaiting their return. Fitzgerald thanked them for protecting him and allowing him to do what he loves most, play ball.

“This has been an amazing experience being able to come over here and meet young women and men that are protecting our freedom,” he said.

Allen told the troops that Fitzgerald had to twist his arm a little bit to come, but now, “I wouldn’t trade this for the world. Honestly, this has been a big eye opener for me.”

He added that the only thing missing from the visit was the opportunity to shoot a .50 caliber machine gun. When asked by a Marine if he would demonstrate his calf roping routine, Allen responded by saying, “I have a rule. I don’t do it unless it’s on Sundays, it’s the only superstation I got. You let me fire a .50 cal, it’s on. I’ll do it all day. I’ll even take my shirt off for the ladies.”

After signing the last autograph and posing for one final photo, the weary players retired to their housing units, the same ones the troops stay in, smiling and ready for their next stop.

“It’s really amazing what you guys do; put your life on the line. The sacrifices you’ve made with your families are unbelievable. I love you guys and I really appreciate everything. Thank you,” said Fitzgerald.

Ellie