PDA

View Full Version : ‘Cover Me’ leaves no Marine behind

thedrifter
03-13-09, 06:07 AM
‘Cover Me’ leaves no Marine behind

3/12/2009 By Cpl. Nicholas J. Lienemann , Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton

MARINE CORPS BASE CAMP PENDLETON, Calif. — The Injured Marine Semper Fi Fund, hosted by Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton, screened the film, “Cover Me,” at the South Mesa Club here, March 5, to help raise awareness and educate Marine leadership about combat operational stress.

The film’s conception was centered on the Corps’ need to let Marines know it is all right to seek medical help for combat operational stress and in doing so, their careers will not be adversely affected.

Award-winning producer Norman Lloyd directed the film, which features interviews with Gen. James N. Mattis, commander, US Joint Forces Command, Gen. James T. Conway, commandant of the Marine Corps and Sgt. Maj. Carlton W. Kent, sergeant major of the Marine Corps.

The film also contains interviews with service members who have experienced combat operational stress and medical experts experienced in treating it.

More than 800 staff noncommissioned officers, officers and civilians were in attendance for the screening. Several guest speakers, with extensive backgrounds in psychiatric care, also addressed the audience and after a short question and answer segment, those in attendance were offered the opportunity to meet one on one with the speakers.

Navy Capt. Paul S. Hammer, director, Naval Center Combat & Operational Stress Control, was one of the special guest speakers. While addressing the crowd, he frequently reiterated the reoccurring theme of the film, “It’s ok to not be ok.”

He also reiterated that Marines must “look for it, recognize it and do something about it.”

“War changes everybody,” said Hammer, from San Diego. “You may have returned and think you’re doing ok, but your buddy may not be; that’s why it’s crucial to recognize symptoms and get them help as soon as possible.”

Hammer said combat stress is a normal response and veterans need to know they are not alone. Leaders need to be on the lookout for any indication that a Marine or sailor is in trouble.

Combat operational stress symptoms can include; being distant or a loss of interest in activities or life in general, difficulty sleeping, outbursts of anger or other uncontrolled emotions and feelings of mistrust and betrayal.

Major Gen. John F. Kelly, deputy commanding general, I Marine Expeditionary Force, Maj. Gen. Michael Myatt (ret.) and Victoria L. Beckner, Ph. D., author of “Conquering Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder,” were also guest speakers at the event.

For more information relating to combat operational stress, call the Wounded Warrior Regiment call center at (877) 487-6299. A psychological health team with licensed clinical consultants is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Ellie