PDA

View Full Version : Ok so Im joining

JaySmtih
03-12-09, 12:07 AM
Ok so I'm joining the Marines for sure...I have been talking to my Local Recruiter about it...I was talking to him about Security Forces and he said that probably wouldn't fit me well...I was wondering if they had any Firefighting Mos's and what not...I cant really decide on what I'd like to do but I want to be a Marine.

Could anyone maybe give some good suggestions on mos's...I want somethin I can use when I get out...Thanks everyone.

Petz
03-12-09, 01:25 AM
welder... they get 60,000 a year with experience... and they have an apprenticeship program for it... so all your hours can be logged.

BR34
03-12-09, 06:45 AM
Take it from an ex-welder, it's NOT a good career choice when the economy is turbulent! And since we can't dictate when the economy will become turbulent, there is not a lot of security for a welder.

2ndLAADBnWRENCH
03-12-09, 07:31 AM
Take it from an ex-welder, it's NOT a good career choice when the economy is turbulent! And since we can't dictate when the economy will become turbulent, there is not a lot of security for a welder.

I am not agreeing with the MOS choice totally cause there are ton's of great choices you can hit the streets with and do well after the Corps. Those with security clearances help in the civilian world to the tune of 100K plus in Civy World. What I can say about welders in the land of the big big PX and constant change of econimy etc. Go to a Union like local iron workers drop your journeyman hours proved through job experience programs logged through training NCO of the unit. Stay tight n watch the books yourself n work the area's to get the hours needed to move on to other area's needed to comply with the program. Take a short course through the Local Union to be a journeyman. When the Shiat hits the fan and no work comes through due to weather politics etc. Go to race car, racing bike frame, chopper shops, decoratic grills, a local artisan etc and do the grunt weld work they just don't want to do a 2/3 give or take the regular rate I won't expound on it. Like any other trade ya go with the flow an adapt improvise and over come all life throughs its curve balls n roller coaster rides at you. Good Luck n God Speed in your challenge with the EGA..

TJR1070
03-12-09, 07:51 AM
If you are interseted in firefighting try looking into Crash, Fire and Rescue which is the Marine Corps aircraft firefighters.

Petz
03-12-09, 08:32 AM

you can use your experience and go into ultrasonic welding or laser welding... with a little extra edumacation.... but the great thing about getting the welding MOS is you can stay in if the economy isn't good.

silverdollar
03-12-09, 10:43 AM
welder... they get 60,000 a year with experience... and they have an apprenticeship program for it... so all your hours can be logged.

Plus you get to wear your hat backwards.:D

Petz
03-12-09, 01:43 PM
and get away with it!

JaySmtih
03-12-09, 06:05 PM
Thanks a lot Marines...I hope to be serving along side of you someday...

Stay Safe.

mincj
03-14-09, 08:01 PM
Come to supply. You'll see mad action there.

Petz
03-15-09, 12:15 AM
hahahahahahahaahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahah ah

BR34
03-15-09, 01:52 AM
I am not agreeing with the MOS choice totally cause there are ton's of great choices you can hit the streets with and do well after the Corps. Those with security clearances help in the civilian world to the tune of 100K plus in Civy World. What I can say about welders in the land of the big big PX and constant change of econimy etc. Go to a Union like local iron workers drop your journeyman hours proved through job experience programs logged through training NCO of the unit. Stay tight n watch the books yourself n work the area's to get the hours needed to move on to other area's needed to comply with the program. Take a short course through the Local Union to be a journeyman. When the Shiat hits the fan and no work comes through due to weather politics etc. Go to race car, racing bike frame, chopper shops, decoratic grills, a local artisan etc and do the grunt weld work they just don't want to do a 2/3 give or take the regular rate I won't expound on it. Like any other trade ya go with the flow an adapt improvise and over come all life throughs its curve balls n roller coaster rides at you. Good Luck n God Speed in your challenge with the EGA..

I don't know, floating from gig to gig isn't my idea of job security. If someone wants to live that kind of life, fine, but I'd prefer a steady paycheck over being a temp.

Petz
03-15-09, 09:15 AM
well go ahead and be a little worker bee... a slave to the private sector.

the only people free in this world are the ones who can just walk away.

your steady paycheck job will be outsourced... then you'll be getting a steady un-employment check.

BR34
03-15-09, 11:36 AM
well go ahead and be a little worker bee... a slave to the private sector.

the only people free in this world are the ones who can just walk away.

your steady paycheck job will be outsourced... then you'll be getting a steady un-employment check.

SSgt, I'm speaking from experience here. I've been a welder, in my past life. And when the economy took a dump, it landed all over us (me/my family and a gang load of other welders/their families I know). I get my steady paycheck from the U.S. Gvt., and I'll take that security over the unknowing world of metal working ANY day of the week.

And speaking of weak, that's the kind of attitude a person has who says something like you. I'm a slave to the "private sector" because I want to be certain my wife and children won't have to worry about their next meal? I'll be a slave for my family, and you can go be a free bird, unemployed, and enjoying the cardboard box that your freedom provided for you. Maybe this slave can throw you some spare change or a piece of bread when he passes you by.

Petz
03-15-09, 11:57 AM
hey killer, take it slow. when has anyone on this site meant to direct something towards another brother without mentioning his name? I was talking to the OP who you were refering to get a "real" job.

I have my opinions and you have yours, not every welder in America got hit like you, or the guys you mentioned. When you have the the AWS sending out people (official reprisentatives) saying stuff like this...

There is a critical need for trained welders, and it’s getting worse. It is said that by 2010 the U.S. will be short 200,000 welders. We’re losing the welders who have been at it for 25 or 30 years and young workers have become uninterested in the manual trades, and are drawn to white collar and high-tech jobs. Even the high schools are taking out shop classes and gear students to go to college; they’ve lost sight of the other jobs that are out there. A highly skilled welder can make a lot of money, particularly if he or she is willing to travel.

Welding is not just about building cool cars, skyscrapers, bridges, and airplanes, it’s also a huge part of electronics, medical equipment nanotechnology, and spaceships...the career opportunities are endless!

... I'm sure there really is a growth sector in welding.

so thank you for your input and next time you should ask if someone is refering to you before you make yourself look like an ass.

and when did I talk about being weak? apparently you are calling me weak for having a fabricated attitude... sounds petty to me. and for the record, the real hard workers out there don't rely on on source of income anymore... it gives them the power to "walk away" when they are forced to do something they feel is wrong or unsafe.

BR34
03-15-09, 02:58 PM
Okay, SSgt, I was the only person to write in this thread since the last time you had written something, so who else could you have been replying to? Also, you wrote it right after my post. Also, also, you made mention of my "steady paycheck" and I was the only person in this thread to say anything about a steady paycheck. Also, also, also, you didn't bother quoting anyone. So, SSgt, if you weren't talking to me, please humor me and tell me who you could have possibly been talking to.

When you have the the AWS sending out people (official reprisentatives) saying stuff like this...

There is a critical need for trained welders, and it’s getting worse. It is said that by 2010 the U.S. will be short 200,000 welders. We’re losing the welders who have been at it for 25 or 30 years and young workers have become uninterested in the manual trades, and are drawn to white collar and high-tech jobs. Even the high schools are taking out shop classes and gear students to go to college; they’ve lost sight of the other jobs that are out there.

Shot in the dark-it's that representative's job to spread the word about welding throughout America. I wouldn't believe everything a rep from a certain field tells me. Just like I wouldn't believe a McDonalds commercial telling me they're food is the best on earth.

A highly skilled welder can make a lot of money, particularly if he or she is willing to travel.

I won't argue against that. I know welders that have moved to Alaska and made over $50 an hour reg., $75 an hour time and half to weld on pipelines. What's the catch with traveling to these places for the extra money? You end up in places like Alaska, with no sun for 6 months out of the year, and sub zero temps, while living in shanty villages.

so thank you for your input and next time you should ask if someone is refering to you before you make yourself look like an ass.You're welcome, SSgt. I'll be sure to take that advice into consideration, if I'm ever actually confused about someone talking to me or not.