PDA

View Full Version : Senator warns White House on possible vet insurance plan

thedrifter
03-11-09, 11:48 AM
March 10, 2009
Senator warns White House on possible vet insurance plan

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Veterans Affairs Secretary Eric Shinseki confirmed Tuesday that the Obama administration is considering a controversial plan to make veterans pay for treatment of service-related injuries with private insurance, but was told by lawmakers that it would be "dead on arrival" if sent to Congress.

Washington Sen. Patty Murray used that blunt terminology, telling Shinseki that the idea would not be acceptable and would be rejected if formally proposed. She made the remarks during a Senate Committee on Veterans Affairs hearing about the 2010 budget.

No official proposal to create such a program has been announced publicly, but veterans groups wrote a pre-emptive letter last week to President Obama opposing the idea after hearing the plan was under consideration. The groups also noticed an increase in “third-party collections” estimated in the 2010 budget proposal—something they said could only be achieved if the VA started billing for service-related injuries.

Asked about the proposal, Shinseki said it was under "consideration."

"A final decision hasn't been made yet," he said.

A second senator, North Carolina Republican Richard Burr, said he agreed that the idea should not go forward.

"I think you will give that up" as a revenue stream, if it is included in this April's budget, Burr said.

Sen. Murray said she'd already discussed her concerns with the secretary the previous week.

"I believe that veterans with service-connected injuries have already paid by putting their lives on the line," Murray said in her remarks. "I don't think we should nickel and dime them for their care."

Eleven of the most prominent veterans organizations have been lobbying Congress to oppose the idea. In the letter sent last week to President Barack Obama, the veterans groups warned that the idea "is wholly unacceptable and a total abrogation of our government's moral and legal responsbility to the men and women who have sacrificed so much."

The groups included The American Legion, Disabled American Veterans, Military Order of the Purple Heart, Veterans of Foreign Wars of the United States and Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America.

At the time, a White House spokesman would neither confirm nor deny the option was being considere

Ellie

giveen
03-11-09, 12:11 PM
Wow...Congress actually did something we can approve of.

FreedomBill
03-17-09, 06:17 AM
They are pushing it!

WASHINGTON, DC (March 16, 2009) – The leader of the nation’s largest veterans organization says he is “deeply disappointed and concerned” after a meeting with President Obama today to discuss a proposal to force private insurance companies to pay for the treatment of military veterans who have suffered service-connected disabilities and injuries. The Obama administration recently revealed a plan to require private insurance carriers to reimburse the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) in such cases.

“It became apparent during our discussion today that the President intends to move forward with this unreasonable plan,” said Commander David K. Rehbein of The American Legion. “He says he is looking to generate $540-million by this method, but refused to hear arguments about the moral and government-avowed obligations that would be compromised by it.”
The Commander, clearly angered as he emerged from the session said, “This reimbursement plan would be inconsistent with the mandate ‘… to care for him who shall have borne the battle…’ given that the United States government sent members of the armed forces into harm’s way, and not private insurance companies. I say again that The American Legion does not and will not support any plan that seeks to bill a veteran for treatment of a service connected disability at the very agency that was created to treat the unique need of America’s veterans!”

Commander Rehbein was among a group of senior officials from veterans service organizations joining the President, White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emmanuel, Secretary of Veterans Affairs Eric Shinseki and Steven Kosiak, the overseer of defense spending at the Office of Management and Budget (OMB). The group’s early afternoon conversation at The White House was precipitated by a letter of protest presented to the President earlier this month. The letter, co-signed by Commander Rehbein and the heads of ten colleague organizations, read, in part, “ There is simply no logical explanation for billing a veteran’s personal insurance for care that the VA has a responsibility to provide. While we understand the fiscal difficulties this country faces right now, placing the burden of those fiscal problems on the men and women who have already sacrificed a great deal for this country is unconscionable.”

Commander Rehbein reiterated points made last week in testimony to both House and Senate Veterans’ Affairs Committees. It was stated then that The American Legion believes that the reimbursement plan would be inconsistent with the mandate that VA treat service-connected injuries and disabilities given that the United States government sends members of the armed forces into harm’s way, and not private insurance companies. The proposed requirement for these companies to reimburse the VA would not only be unfair, says the Legion, but would have an adverse impact on service-connected disabled veterans and their families. The Legion argues that, depending on the severity of the medical conditions involved, maximum insurance coverage limits could be reached through treatment of the veteran’s condition alone. That would leave the rest of the family without health care benefits. The Legion also points out that many health insurance companies require deductibles to be paid before any benefits are covered. Additionally, the Legion is concerned that private insurance premiums would be elevated to cover service-connected disabled veterans and their families, especially if the veterans are self-employed or employed in small businesses unable to negotiate more favorable across-the-board insurance policy pricing. The American Legion also believes that some employers, especially small businesses, would be reluctant to hire veterans with service-connected disabilities due to the negative impact their employment might have on obtaining and financing company health care benefits.

“I got the distinct impression that the only hope of this plan not being enacted,” said Commander Rehbein, “is for an alternative plan to be developed that would generate the desired $540-million in revenue. The American Legion has long advocated for Medicare reimbursement to VA for the treatment of veterans. This, we believe, would more easily meet the President’s financial goal. We will present that idea in an anticipated conference call with White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emmanuel in the near future.

“I only hope the administration will really listen to us then. This matter has far more serious ramifications than the President is imagining,” concluded the Commander.

http://ourvoice.legion.org/story/1448/legion-white-house-dont-bill-our-heroes

And what will this do to our Medicare system?

DocGreek
03-17-09, 09:21 AM
:mad: Does the President, members of his Cabinet, and Congress, REALLY BELIEVE, that Disabled Veterans will allow this SH!T...to happen??? The Disabled Veterans DID NOT CAUSE OUR ECONOMY TO TAKE A DUMP!!! LET THE AZZHOLES, that screwed-up our economy, ALL go BANKRUPT!! WE, as CITIZENS, of this Country, HAVE HAD ENOUGH!!!....GIVING AWAY MONEY, to banks, and other financial institutions, will only make the FAILURE of our economy.....WORSE!!....SIMPLE ECONOMICS!!! THE AMERICAN WAY!!! WHEN IN DOUBT.....THROW MONEY, AT THE PROBLEM!!! IE: VIET NAM, IRAQ, and, MAYBE...Pakistan.....GOD HELP US!!! I, that's I, WILL NOT PARTICIPATE IN THIS DESTRUCTION OF OUR COUNTRY!! I will stand, fight, and die, by the oath, I took upon entry into the Military Service, of OUR NATION!! Think I'm RANTING?? YOU'RE GOD-DAM RIGHT!!.....WHY AREN'T THE REST OF YOU RAISING HELL???......DOC

JohnEaceHunt
03-18-09, 01:00 AM
I agree DOC. I only went to the sh!t-h*le (va) for Dental, and glasses. NOW that my Dentist has retired they can kiss my Royal Indian-White arse.(yes, I have Indian Royalty in my Blood.(Oh, ain't that funny)? I already put 980 bucks a month on my Private Insurance, for Service Connected Disabilities, which costs 2400 bucks a year,(just for me), with a Private Practice Dr.,(anthesologists, and Ortho-Surgeon all in one), and will not go to them again. They(va) have only mis-diagnosed me 3 times and came close to having me die twice because of it. They wanted to cut my stomach out because of cancer well over 10 years ago. Did I have stomach cancer? H*ll NO.!!!!! Not a one of them are responsible for anything they do,anything.!!! Well over half CAN NOT even speak an intelligible version of english so you can understand them. That fool(chicken finger prez), is on the verge of having so many people HATE him, a Full Company of Marines wouldn't be able to protect him. He must have a sexually Transmitted Disease, because I think his Brain is shrinking every day. If I was him, I would resign, and leave the country, just to stay alive. Yes, I will say that. Everyone I talk to feels the same way, and says the same thing. They have had it. Banks, Guns, making the Service Connected Vet. pay for his care, having to be politically correct, can't call a gook- a gook, just what is next from this Idiotic Fool? Oh, thats right. I'm a Basterd, and wing says' well no one listens to him anyway now'. I laugh at every one of you 'hopey-changie' people. Yes, you bout to get what you deserve, and that Right SOON. The secret service can knock on my door 1st thing in the morning if they have the ba!!s. I may call the National Office of the KKK, and see if they want to move to my welfare check, drug hole. I've lived here 51-53 years, and moving is not an option. BG.!!!

JohnEaceHunt
03-18-09, 01:25 AM
Each and every Vet MUST watch 'Article 99' anyway, where ever, and as soon as possible. Its that way in just about every va hospital in the country. Your life depends on it.

FreedomBill
03-18-09, 06:40 AM
I agree DOC. I only went to the sh!t-h*le (va) for Dental, and glasses. NOW that my Dentist has retired they can kiss my Royal Indian-White arse.(yes, I have Indian Royalty in my Blood.(Oh, ain't that funny)? I already put 980 bucks a month on my Private Insurance, for Service Connected Disabilities, which costs 2400 bucks a year,(just for me), with a Private Practice Dr.,(anthesologists, and Ortho-Surgeon all in one), and will not go to them again. They(va) have only mis-diagnosed me 3 times and came close to having me die twice because of it. They wanted to cut my stomach out because of cancer well over 10 years ago. Did I have stomach cancer? H*ll NO.!!!!! Not a one of them are responsible for anything they do,anything.!!! Well over half CAN NOT even speak an intelligible version of english so you can understand them. That fool(chicken finger prez), is on the verge of having so many people HATE him, a Full Company of Marines wouldn't be able to protect him. He must have a sexually Transmitted Disease, because I think his Brain is shrinking every day. If I was him, I would resign, and leave the country, just to stay alive. Yes, I will say that. Everyone I talk to feels the same way, and says the same thing. They have had it. Banks, Guns, making the Service Connected Vet. pay for his care, having to be politically correct, can't call a gook- a gook, just what is next from this Idiotic Fool? Oh, thats right. I'm a Basterd, and wing says' well no one listens to him anyway now'. I laugh at every one of you 'hopey-changie' people. Yes, you bout to get what you deserve, and that Right SOON. The secret service can knock on my door 1st thing in the morning if they have the ba!!s. I may call the National Office of the KKK, and see if they want to move to my welfare check, drug hole. I've lived here 51-53 years, and moving is not an option. BG.!!!

By God, It's about time I see the proper attitude on a MARINE forum!!
Thanks for the breath of fresh air John! At least you and Doc shoot from the hip on matters.

Damn, I have not seen Article 99 in over 20-years. Is it still available? Bet it won't be once the marxist learns of it. That broke-dick Rahmmy will have it removed for sure. I might even still have it on vhs if I rummaged through all of the basement. I'd like to find the DVD version.

DocGreek
03-18-09, 06:58 AM
YOU, KNOW.......Didn't hear a word, on the news, about the V.A., and insurance companies!! The Gubmint is gonna' slip it to "US", in the middle of the night!!! "POSSEE COMITATUS" (spelling?), do any of you know what that is?? I DO! SORRY.....BUT, it's going to be "survival of the fittest".....AND, I KNOW HOW TO SURVIVE, IN THE WOODS!!....even in The Glades!! Plenty of food, fresh water, and INDIAN puzzy!!!......DOC

DocGreek
03-18-09, 11:15 PM
HA! HA! HA! HA!...."THEY", had to SUCK all of that CRAP back into their CAKE-HOLES!!!...DUH!....DUH!....WHO THE HELL ADVISED OUR NEW PRESIDENT, TO EVEN CONSIDER, SUCH STUPIDITY?????? I hear a loud SUCKING NOISE......AND I THINK....IT'S COMING FROM WASHINGTON!!!!!

FreedomBill
03-19-09, 05:52 AM
HA! HA! HA! HA!...."THEY", had to SUCK all of that CRAP back into their CAKE-HOLES!!!...DUH!....DUH!....WHO THE HELL ADVISED OUR NEW PRESIDENT, TO EVEN CONSIDER, SUCH STUPIDITY?????? I hear a loud SUCKING NOISE......AND I THINK....IT'S COMING FROM WASHINGTON!!!!!

My bet would be his puppet master - Rahmmy.

Rocky C
03-19-09, 05:57 AM
:mad: Does the President, members of his Cabinet, and Congress, REALLY BELIEVE, that Disabled Veterans will allow this SH!T...to happen??? The Disabled Veterans DID NOT CAUSE OUR ECONOMY TO TAKE A DUMP!!! LET THE AZZHOLES, that screwed-up our economy, ALL go BANKRUPT!! WE, as CITIZENS, of this Country, HAVE HAD ENOUGH!!!....GIVING AWAY MONEY, to banks, and other financial institutions, will only make the FAILURE of our economy.....WORSE!!....SIMPLE ECONOMICS!!! THE AMERICAN WAY!!! WHEN IN DOUBT.....THROW MONEY, AT THE PROBLEM!!! IE: VIET NAM, IRAQ, and, MAYBE...Pakistan.....GOD HELP US!!! I, that's I, WILL NOT PARTICIPATE IN THIS DESTRUCTION OF OUR COUNTRY!! I will stand, fight, and die, by the oath, I took upon entry into the Military Service, of OUR NATION!! Think I'm RANTING?? YOU'RE GOD-DAM RIGHT!!.....WHY AREN'T THE REST OF YOU RAISING HELL???......DOC

Good Morning Brothers and Sisters..... Well said Doc!!!!!!!!
WTF!!!!! I heard this on world news last night and couldn't wait to log on this morning to read this, thought I was F**KING Dreaming this S**T!!!!
You have got to be kidding me. Private insurance???? There are many of us here that seek our health care from the VA and depend on it and F**KIN Deserve it!!!! Doc, your 100% SC, I'm 100% SC and so are many of our Brothers and Sisters here, from 10% SC to !00% SC. Do these Azzholes realize how many clinics we go to just to MAINTAIN some sort of decent life???? I am so F**KIN ****ED RIGHT NOW!!!!!! STOP SPENDING OUR GOD-DAM MONEY!!!!!!!! I don't ask for much in life, just the basics, food, a place to live and some medical care to keep me going long enough to see my 2 older children married and happy in life and now you want me to pay for my Service Connected Medical Care???? GO F**K YOURSELF!!!! I'm a 100% Service Connected you stupid F**KS and I can't afford it!!!!!
It's time to stop this madness!!!!! War, AIG bailout, etc, etc, etc, Then you ask us to pay for our medical care with private insurance?????? but you spend BILLIONS of our DOLLARS to find out if there is life on Mars or Mercury or the Moon?????
CAN YOU HEAR ME??????
I DON'T CARE IF THERES LIFE ON MARS!!!!!!!!
WHAT I CARE ABOUT IS OUR VETERANS RECEIVING THE BENEFITS THEY HAVE EARNED AND DESERVE!!!!!!!!
GOD-DAM IT, get on the horn and call your Congressman and tell em that this will be there last term in office. Next stop for them, Hell or the night shift at Super Walmart.
NOW SOUND OFF !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Semper Fi,
Rocky

ps. I not mad at you my brothers and sisters, I love you all, i'm just so ****ed right now...................

DocGreek
03-19-09, 06:17 AM
Rocky....OBUMMER, got so many phone calls, and letters, from places, and Vet's Orginations, THANK GOD......he changed his mind last night!!!!!! YOU KNOW.....he didn't think that CRAP up, by himself, BUT......WHO DID???? WTF??? MESS WITH THE VETERANS, AND START A REVOLUTION?????.....DUH! WE'LL BE ALRIGHT!!! IT'S JUST WASHINGTON STUPIDITY.....AS USUAL!!!!!......SEMPER FI, ROCKY!!!......DOC

Rocky C
03-19-09, 06:31 AM
Thanks Doc,
My heads still spinning over this, I gotta calm down Brother, this **** ain't good for me.
Semper Fi Doc,

Rocky

thedrifter
03-19-09, 08:45 AM
Obama Admin Backs Off Making Vets Pay for VA Treatment <br />
<br />
<br />
The Hill is reporting that the administration has backed off their (politically suicidal) proposal to bill private insurance companies for...

Rocky C
03-19-09, 04:11 PM
Thanks Ellie for the post and all the info.
I had a really SH*TTY day today because of this news.
I feel a little better now.
Semper Fi,
Rocky