PDA

View Full Version : Something I'm curious about...

Achped
03-11-09, 11:12 AM
Why does AFN in southwest Asia (i.e. Iraq/Afghanistan) show USMC recruiting commercials??? Just a thought I had today...

yellowwing
03-11-09, 11:30 AM
Moral booster? Just a guess.

Marine84
03-11-09, 11:37 AM
LOL! I hated AFN! I remember the soaps being 6 freakin months behind - when I got there I had already seen them, by the time I got back to the States, I had no clue what was going on!

Achped
03-11-09, 11:38 AM
Yeah, it works. I mean when youre in the chow hall or the MWR and you see a Marine commercial all the doggies roll their eyes and the air force girls give us a wink ;)

bootlace15
03-11-09, 12:10 PM
when the doggies roll their eyes ,it's not because they are watching Marine Corp commercials,it's because they are getting pounded from behind and wishing they were in the Marine Corp.

davblay
03-11-09, 02:36 PM
Achped.....that's a subject I hadn't given much thought of until you mentioned it. I know that the AFVN network only had old shows, even back in my day, but there were a lot of recruiting ads as well.

A buddy of mine worked for "STARS AND STRIPES" and he said the censors were very strict on them as to what could be sent out to the troops, either on the air or broadcasting. In other words we didn't get the news feeds of the demonstrations against the war and such, back home!

But I will say that "HANOI HANNA" had all the scoop from CONUS! Yep she would rant and rave all about it over the NVA radios. I even heard Jane Fonda on that station, several times.....the B!TCH!

Dave

SGT7477
03-11-09, 03:30 PM
Achped.....that's a subject I hadn't given much thought of until you mentioned it. I know that the AFVN network only had old shows, even back in my day, but there were a lot of recruiting ads as well.

A buddy of mine worked for "STARS AND STRIPES" and he said the censors were very strict on them as to what could be sent out to the troops, either on the air or broadcasting. In other words we didn't get the news feeds of the demonstrations against the war and such, back home!

But I will say that "HANOI HANNA" had all the scoop from CONUS! Yep she would rant and rave all about it over the NVA radios. I even heard Jane Fonda on that station, several times.....the B!TCH!

Dave
Now Dave tell us how you really feel about Jane,lol.:D

MrsNix
03-11-09, 06:47 PM
I SAY THE SAME THING!!!!

That has irritated the crap out of me since we got here! All the commericials are beyond the pale stupid...but then here come the recruiting ads. ??? Hello. Your audience already JOINED.

Spend less money on AFN commercials, imo, and more money on getting AAFES to hire some decent buyers for the PX's around here.

Humph.

davblay
03-11-09, 07:06 PM
Now Dave tell us how you really feel about Jane,lol.:D

Hehe....well lets just say that if they were gonna give America an enema, they'd stick the nozzle in that B!TCH! :mad:

Semper Fi,

Dave

SGT7477
03-11-09, 07:09 PM
Hehe....well lets just say that if they were gonna give America an enema, they'd stick the nozzle in that B!TCH! :mad:

Semper Fi,

Dave
You got that right brother, Semper FI.:flag:

thewookie
03-11-09, 07:11 PM
Cause it's FREE.....

thewookie
03-11-09, 07:27 PM
Think of how many future Jarheads are living overseas in base housing while mommy or daddy are playing with the Army or Air Farce.