PDA

View Full Version : HUNNEMAN: The few, the proud

thedrifter
03-11-09, 08:41 AM
Last modified Tuesday, March 10, 2009 6:00 PM PDT
HUNNEMAN: The few, the proud

By JOHN HUNNEMAN - Staff Writer

Liz Geisse wasn't sure what to do.

Minutes after getting off a jetliner at San Diego's Lindbergh Field, the Murrieta woman found herself surrounded by a group of about 15 young men.

Geisse tried to talk the men out of their demands.

Finally, because they were adamant, she gave in.

Our story begins in Dallas where Geisse, a physical therapist, had traveled on business. Her work there was done and she was heading back to Southern California.

"But I left my wallet in the car of the person who drove me to the airport in Dallas," she said. "I tried to get ahold of them, but wasn't able to."

In that wallet was Geisse's money, credit cards and all of her identification.

"I was able to get through (airport) security after they made a few phone calls," Geisse said. "But I had about 12 cents in my pocket."

Geisse's name may ring a bell with longtime valley residents. In 1994, her husband, Hans, was appointed to the Murrieta City Council to serve out the term of a councilman who had resigned.

Onboard the aircraft that day was a group of young men who hours before had hugged their moms and dads, sisters, brothers, wives or girlfriends and left home to join the few and the proud.

After arriving in Dallas from all over the country, they'd boarded the jet to begin 13 weeks of training at Marine Corps Recruit Depot San Diego.

In the air, the pilot announced that a group of new Marine recruits were on the plane and Geisse, like many others, applauded.

As the plane approached San Diego, Geisse realized she didn't have any money to pay to get her vehicle from the commuter parking lot.

After landing, Geisse called her husband from the plane and explained her missing wallet and the parking lot situation.

Minutes later, walking through the terminal, a voice came from over her shoulder.

"Excuse me, ma'am," a young man said.

Soon, Geisse was encircled by the group of recruits, each with a $1 or $5 bill in their hands.

"They must have heard me talking on the phone and said they wanted to help," Geisse said.

She thanked them, but said she would find another way to get her car from the lot.

The young men insisted.

"We can't buy anything at boot camp, anyhow," one of them said.

Geisse offered to mail each man his money back. However, one of the future Marines suggested she instead make a donation to the USO in the amount they were offering her.

Not only did Geisse make the donation, but she wrote a letter to the recruit depot's commanding general praising the conduct of his young Marines.

"I just thought it was a really nice thing for them to do," she said.

Contact columnist John Hunneman at (951) 676-4315, Ext. 2603, or hunneman@californian.com.

Ellie