PDA

View Full Version : Micronesian ambassador visits Lejeune

thedrifter
03-11-09, 07:20 AM
Micronesian ambassador visits Lejeune
Comments | Recommend
March 10, 2009 - 5:50 PM
JENNIFER HLAD

The ambassador of Micronesia recently visited Camp Lejeune to meet with Micronesian citizens serving in the Marine Corps.

Ambassador Yosiwo George said he enjoyed seeing the base and meeting with a group of Micronesian Marines.

"I'm very proud to see the Micronesians in the service," he said.

George also observed some training, met with II Marine Expeditionary Force Commanding General Lt. Gen. Dennis Hejlik and attended a retirement ceremony for Master Gunnery Sgt. Rudy Kephas, who served as operations chief for 2nd Marine Logistics Group. Kephas, from Micronesia, served in the Marine Corps for 30 years.

The Federated States of Micronesia is a sovereign nation of more than 600 tiny islands and atolls in the northwestern Pacific Ocean. The country shares a Compact of Free Association with the United States, which allows Micronesian citizens to live, travel, work and study in the U.S., as well as serve in the military.

Lance Cpl. Geronimo George said there are about 10 Marines from his island, Kosrae, at Camp Lejeune, and they get together every weekend.

He said he was pleased the ambassador, who he is related to, got a chance to visit.

"I'm pretty happy he's here, to see what the Corps is like," Lance Cpl. George said.

The ambassador talked to the Micronesian Marines about what is happening in their home country, and discussed any problems they may be facing.

"We learned a lot of stuff from him," Lance Cpl. George said.

The ambassador said he was "very impressed" with the training he saw at Camp Lejeune, which he said looked very real and very difficult.

He also said he welcomed the opportunity to reach out to Micronesian citizens, and to raise awareness about his country.

"It's been very pleasant," he said. "I'm very pleased to have the opportunity to visit."

Contact interactive content editor and military reporter Jennifer Hlad at jhlad@freedomenc.com or 910-219-8467.

Ellie