PDA

View Full Version : Strange re enlist code, wondering the possible options

AnimalMother
03-11-09, 03:33 AM
Wow, that sure is irritating. I just spilled my guts out explaining my situation and it said I wasnt logged in for the post. THE GREEN WEENIE FOLLOWS ME! <br />
<br />
Anyway, I'll explain my situation once...

Petz
03-11-09, 04:01 AM
um, join a reserve unit and get on active duty orders.... then when you get off active duty you'll have a nice shiny RE-1a code... and I'm telling you, you don't have much time so go run to your prior service recruiter and get to a new MOS... it's the only way for you to get on active duty quickly...

if it matters to you, I would suggest you do this... otherwise there is no easy way and you'll overshoot your reenlistment timeframe.... sorry killer.

AnimalMother
03-11-09, 04:47 AM
Thanks for the quick response SSgt

yanacek
03-11-09, 05:43 AM
You do not lose benefits due to a reenlistment code of "RE-4." That code is only used to categorize you for future service. An RE-4 means that you are "not recommended for reenlistment." In my experience, you would not be approved by HQMC for reenlistment in the USMC or USMCR. Most recruiters wouldn't waste their time even submitting a package. As distasteful as this is, I recommend that if you want back in the military, check out the other branches, including the National Guard.

AnimalMother
03-11-09, 01:49 PM
I am in contact with a couple of my prior officers, and they're willing to write letters of recommendations. Would this not help, if I had a stack of these letters?

yanacek
03-11-09, 02:19 PM
I wouldn't hurt, I just don't think HQMC will entertain the package. I do wish you the best of luck though.

oldMoMarine
03-11-09, 03:42 PM
Sorry AnimalMother. With a re-enlistment code of RE 4 you are not going to be able to re-enlist. I got a General under Honorable Conditions, with the same re-enlistment code. I tried for several years to get it changed, but was never able to do so. That was back in 1974. I know things change, but I would never think the Corp would change on that.
Yanacek is correct, that you do not lose any benifits. You just can not re-enlist into the Corp.
I was told that it would take an act of Congress to get it changed. Do you know any Senior Congressmen?

Good luck.

AnimalMother
03-11-09, 04:14 PM
If it takes an act of congress, then it will be an act of congress to change it.

I guess I'll see if my grandpa has any strings he can pull. He was a 1 star select in the Corps from WW2 - Post Vietnam. Maybe HIS letter would help? Too bad Hagee isnt the CMC anymore, he was a lieutenant under my grandpa as a Batallion Commander in Vietnam.

sgt tony
03-11-09, 05:17 PM
The RE-4 can be changed but you have to do it fast. You will need a lot of letters form the guys you served with (NCO/SNCO/Officers) and a few of your grand fathers fends won't hurt.
I have worked a few of these cases and I have seen very few go through. But don't give up, try if you don't then go to the other services they may be can help get you back on active duty, then on your eas if you keep your noise clean you can get the RE-1A code back.
Best of luck

Petz
03-12-09, 01:09 AM
um, that's what I'd said... attach to a reserve unit, change your MOS and goto the MOS school, you will be augmented to active duty... then when they augment you back to the reserves you will have an RE-1A.... and you can reenlist!!!

it's simple, and you can get an extension on your contract if you attach before your IRR time ends...

seriously! go do it!

DocGreek
03-12-09, 09:31 AM
SORRY, GENTLEMEN, but WHAT???? When an "X" Marine (and he IS an X!) wants info about his re-up code, SEND HIS AZZ TO A RE-UP RECRUITER......NOT our responsibility!!....That goes DOUBLE....FOR CORPSMEN!!!!!......DOC

yanacek
03-12-09, 11:04 AM
Doc, this man served and received and Honorable Discharge. He just received an unfavorable Reenlistment Code because he had a number of NJPs. All that means in that he was not recommended for...

Petz
03-12-09, 01:42 PM
hell, even if he didn't have the NJPs... he could have signed the paperwork with the crap re enlistment code... it happens more than you think.

AnimalMother
03-12-09, 04:24 PM
Doc, what seems to be the issue? I am simply asking for advice from a forum called &quot;LEATHERNECK.&quot; Have I not earned the right to use this forum? I've been to combat twice. I carried an American Flag...

AnimalMother
03-12-09, 04:31 PM
What I meant by attackers, were other marines in the PX in one incident, and a LANCE as a private in SOI.

richerich
03-12-09, 06:18 PM
I think SSGT Petzold offered the best advice, this is probably your only hope on getting a fresh RE code. Otherwise, IMO, the Army would be your only hope. Good Luck.

SSgt Ramsey
03-14-09, 07:47 AM
Ouch...this is gonna be a tough one... <br />
<br />
I'm a former Career Planner and did the job for almost 8 years...the RE codes can be a tough hurdle to overcome after you're out...especially RE-4 which is...

Petz
03-14-09, 11:29 AM
but you are not saying that I'm entirely wrong with my idea.... I am aware that his RE code will make it difficult for him to get attached to a reserve unit, but that is the fastest way to get it changed that I know of.

thanks for you input, as I wasn't thinking of it from that angle. (obviously)

SSgt Ramsey
03-14-09, 11:40 AM
Never implied you were wrong bro....I just have a different perspective as a CarPlan and working on MANY waiver packages in my time, and also have a lot of insight and experience from my time as the 2d MAW Career Planner as a Sgt and SSgt briefing packages to G-1 for endorsement from the CG.

The following is just my opinion(s) and I am not trying to speak for G-1, CG's, or MMEA-6 in any way, just from my personal experience(s) in the MOS for a long time.

Also, honestly, when I worked up the package with all pertinent facts, info, copies of the NJP's etc. I don't think I could give a positive recommendation or endorsement of the package to the G-1. It's not a personal thing with me, but in the grand scheme of things and my experience, I seen many good Marine's be denied reenlistment or Latmove's due to lack of boatspaces and they had to leave the Corps...through no fault of their own and these were solid Marine's. I couldn't honestly look myself in the mirror in the morning over that.

Waivers aren't impossble to get, but the circumstances are always mitigating factors...and in this case, IMO with 4 NJP's in a relatively short time period, I don't know how many CG's would go out on a limb and positively endorse this, my best guess would be that it would come back as "not recommended" or "recommended with reservation"..and even IF it did to go MMEA-6 and the retention chain, I think it would be rubber-stamped as disapproved from that level. The liasions are bright guys with a lot of experience and knowledge and can make/break a package also due to their comments on the RELM's.

Petz
03-14-09, 01:21 PM
glad to know that!! ... I wasn't fully aware of the layers it took for Marines to get back in. Thank you for the gouge.

Higherpower321
10-12-10, 12:15 PM
Research I have done is one is to only look at the reenlistment code in relation to re enlistment in the &quot;armed services.&quot; No other reason. &lt;This is via the military&gt; You see some marines with...

spotts
10-12-10, 01:38 PM
The RE Code is also used by the civilian community if Human Resources knows how to read a DD214. At my former company I taught my HR managers how to read them to weed out the undesirables.

Higherpower321
10-12-10, 02:50 PM
ANd as the Marine Corps is now looking for more career orientated people, I am sure the re codes will be taken even more serious. Now we have Marine Corps Career Centers. Funny thing for a service that use to take convicts. LMAO..

Mauricet
10-27-10, 07:18 PM
What you would have to do is get that code changed first. No branch of service will take you with it. Every branch of service uses the same codes. Even with getting it changed, each branch will first look at your service personnel folder. I can tell you know that the Air Force will probably say no off the bat, and since the Corps is part fo the Navy they are out of the question. Coast Guard is very hard to enlist in and Army would not do it until its changed.

Letters are great, but you have to understand when the military changes anything on your DD 214 you have to prove why it is wrong, what you going to do it they change it. Plus you must understand that if you just got out they are not even going to look at it. Its a if you knew better then you would not have gotten in trouble. So they play the with time is wisdome game.

And you make have to do it several times. Guard and Reserve is the same has to be changed. RE1 means good to go with all, RE2 means you will have to have it look at first, but should be good to go. RE3 means something has to be changed first (medical, child care, single parent). RE4 is the hardest.

TunTvrnWarrior
10-27-10, 08:20 PM
Marine, I might suggest gathering the letters and seeing if one of your former officers or SNCO's have any connections at the Naval Board of Corrections. If memory serves me well, they are the one who can change character of service and/or RE code.

DanM
10-27-10, 08:27 PM
The original poster hasn't been here for a year.

DrZ
10-28-10, 08:07 AM
Marines, <br />
Not to steal the thread or even a thread this old....but I have a question. It is almost a moot point since I am way too damn old to re-enlist or anything else. When I chose not to...

oldtop
10-28-10, 09:05 AM
Probably was a mistake. You can complete a form DD149, Application for Correction of Military Record and send it in for a review of your discharge and request that a DD215 be issued to correct the...

DrZ
10-28-10, 09:39 AM
Thanks Top. Will do. I know it really doesn't mean much to anyone other than me but.... it damn well bothers me!!!

oldtop
10-28-10, 11:19 AM
As well it should...a RE4 is only used for real screw-ups and $hitbirds, except if it is an Air Farce DD214...their RE4 is the same as everyone else's RE1, have no idea why, but AF is bass-ackwards with the RE codes.