PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Marine Corps Security Forces

Miclo
03-11-09, 12:55 AM
I re enlisted as deferred option. I'm a radio operator and i'm thinking about going security forces as my B billet. As a non 0300 what exactly would i be doing? Is there anyway to get on the FAST without being an 0300? I'm trying to go east coast. Besides Georgia and Virginia, are there other places on the east coast for security forces?

Petz
03-11-09, 12:58 AM
wow... isn't there a thread somewhere for this... and wow... I have no clue... why securty forces??? why not MCT instructor and come back a SNCO or MSG and see the world while coming back a SNCO....???????????????????????????????

thewookie
03-11-09, 06:26 AM
I re enlisted as deferred option. I'm a radio operator and i'm thinking about going security forces as my B billet. As a non 0300 what exactly would i be doing? Is there anyway to get on the FAST without being an 0300? I'm trying to go east coast. Besides Georgia and Virginia, are there other places on the east coast for security forces?

As a non-03 you will be part of the guard platoon(s), assuming that you go there on 8154 duty (MCSF) As a Sgt., you'll be the SOG or something like that, you won't be standing post but you'll be running the show. They've closed a lot of the "old" MCSF duty stations that were around when I was in. But, if you wanted to stay on the east coast and if you have a PMI background you could look into Dam Neck Range Detachment or working as an Instructor for the basic school both of those are in Virginia. As far as the rest of the east coast duty stations, I think you only have FAST in the Norfolk area, and then the sub base at Kings Bay, GA. I'm not 100% sure, but I think that's it for MCSF posts on the east coast. Might I recommend either Rota Spain or Naples Italy. Both places are great for an unaccompanied NCO.

You should also consider Marine CADRE duty where you work on Navy bases teaching the MA's (NAVY's security element) how to do their job. There are lots of little hole in the wall duty stations across the US for CADRE duty, talk to your monitor - although, you might have to be a Staff NCO now.

Going back to the subject, as a non-03, I was in Greece for a year and then I spent the last four years of my contract teaching for MCSF, and I had a great time. I would do it again in a second, lots of opportunity for schools that you'll never sniff in the fleet.

Overall it's easy duty for NCO's and a nice little break from the fleet.

They are calling MCSF a B-Billet now?

Good luck, Marine, SF.

KawiGunny
03-11-09, 06:43 AM
As a non-03 you will be part of the guard platoon(s), assuming that you go there on 8154 duty (MCSF) As a Sgt., you'll be the SOG or something like that, you won't be standing post but you'll be running the show. They've closed a lot of the "old" MCSF duty stations that were around when I was in. But, if you wanted to stay on the east coast and if you have a PMI background you could look into Dam Neck Range Detachment or working as an Instructor for the basic school both of those are in Virginia. As far as the rest of the east coast duty stations, I think you only have FAST in the Norfolk area, and then the sub base at Kings Bay, GA. I'm not 100% sure, but I think that's it for MCSF posts on the east coast. Might I recommend either Rota Spain or Naples Italy. Both places are great for an unaccompanied NCO.

You should also consider Marine CADRE duty where you work on Navy bases teaching the MA's (NAVY's security element) how to do their job. There are lots of little hole in the wall duty stations across the US for CADRE duty, talk to your monitor - although, you might have to be a Staff NCO now.

Going back to the subject, as a non-03, I was in Greece for a year and then I spent the last four years of my contract teaching for MCSF, and I had a great time. I would do it again in a second, lots of opportunity for schools that you'll never sniff in the fleet.

Overall it's easy duty for NCO's and a nice little break from the fleet.

They are calling MCSF a B-Billet now?

Good luck, Marine, SF.

Sorry wookie...... they shut that program down about 2 yrs ago. Maybe 3. Not for sure.

thewookie
03-11-09, 10:29 AM
Sorry wookie...... they shut that program down about 2 yrs ago. Maybe 3. Not for sure.

Really, wow, that was a great gig - I think I remember you saying that you were on CADRE duty. I was offered Newport RI for CADRE duty, but I "slept on it" over the weekend and the next thing I know come Monday morning the slot was filled and I went to Greece on MCSF duty instead. You snooze you loose. I would have gotten in trouble in Newport anyway being about 1 hour from my hometown.

**I need to correct my original post - if you go on MCSF duty as a 8152 then you will be working with the guard platoons and not working in your primary MOS.

8154 MOS is a CQB team member... you can do that, too, but that's after you get the 8152 MOS

braveheartsmom
03-13-09, 06:34 PM
I have question does anyone know what basic take home for a PVT out of boot is. my son just got his first check since boot and his buddy who went in with him got his and they are the same rank but my son is 220.00 short of what his buddy got. also he was over 600 short when they got out 10 days ago. what is the take home for his rank

Petz
03-13-09, 11:15 PM
a lot depends on what his buddy claimed on his taxes... his recruiter could have put him down as claiming 1... don't ask me why, I don't know... it's a possibility...

and what do you mean was 600 short when they got out 10 days ago???

I want you to understand that your son and his buddy can buy gear while in boot camp... this is all sorts of trash, and the DIs tend to "issue" certain recruits a list they need to buy for the betterment of the platoon... that way they had plenty of smell better, laundry soap, soap, bleach, and anything else I haven't felt like writing (there's a lot) so he may end up with less cash in the end.... oh, and don't forget family day... he could have bought stuff his buddy didn't.

so can you explain your last sentence better please?