PDA

View Full Version : "Brothers At War"

thedrifter
03-10-09, 08:08 AM
"Brothers At War" This Friday

A War Movie. A film that not only has soldiers saying good things about it, but also caught the attention of Gary Sinise to the point that he signed on as executive director. HBO did a great job with Chance, and this weekend, there is a chance to go see Brothers at War.

The short version is that Jake Rademacher went to Iraq to document what he saw, and to better understand what his two brothers were experiencing, and why they did so. It doesn't stop there, but follows them home as well. The result is a movie that shows not just one facet of service, or the action of combat, but also shows the effects of service on them, their families, friends, and more.

Brothers at War opens this Friday in Chicago, Warrenville IL, Columbus GA, Arlington VA, Washington DC, Jacksonville NC, and Fayetteville NC. It will expand into more theatres nationwide the following weeks -- possibly even quite a few more than are onboard now if, IF, it can be shown to draw more of an audience than your typical Hollywood Iraq movie.

Meantime, check out the trailer and see if your local theatre is considering carrying the movie -- and let them know your thoughts on it.

http://www.brothersatwarmovie.com/

Ellie

thedrifter
03-11-09, 07:18 AM
'Brothers at War' opens Friday in Jacksonville
Comments 1 | Recommend 2
March 10, 2009 - 5:58 PM
ANIESA HOLMES

His brothers went to Iraq carrying weapons.

Jake Rademacher took a camera.

Rademacher, 35, makes his directorial debut in the documentary "Brothers at War," which stars American Marines and soldiers, his brothers - Capt. Isaac Rademacher, 31, an Army officer currently stationed at Fort Bragg and Staff Sgt. Joe Rademacher, 23, an instructor at Sniper School in Ft. Benning, Ga. - and Rademacher himself in the unique role of a brother watching his younger brothers serve their country.

"Brothers at War" will open Friday at Carmike 16 Cinemas in Jacksonville and at four other cities near military bases, including Fayetteville (home to Fort Bragg) and Columbus, Ga. (home to Fort Benning) before opening in larger markets.

"The reason why we're opening in most military towns is that it was important to bring it to military and their families, let them see it first and let them tell families and friends about it," Rademacher said.

Rademacher, along with executive producers David Scantling and and Norman S. Powell, will be in Jacksonville at Carmike 16 Cinemas on Sunday for the 4:30 p.m. showing of the film, as well as to sign autographs and take part in a question and answer session afterward.

"I am so excited to go talk to soldiers and Marines and talk with their families and see what they think about the film," Rademacher said.

Rademacher felt that it was necessary for the men and women who live the experiences in the film to give their opinions of it before movie critics get a crack at it. That firsthand experience is what changed his view on the war in Iraq.

"My perception was what anyone's would be from watching the media, but I was informed by my brother Isaac that I was misinformed," Rademacher said. "I took the extraordinary step with a production team of going to Iraq and finding the truth myself."

Rademacher embedded with four combat units in Iraq, getting rare access to U.S. and Iraqi combat units on the Syrian border, into sniper "hide sites" in the Sunni Triangle and through raging machine gun battles with the Iraqi Army. The film then follows his brothers back home to show how the war profoundly impacts the lives of their wives, parents, siblings and children.

"They were reluctant at first, but once they started to see what I was accomplishing they started opening up," Rademacher said. "I think they realized that what military families go through is something that American families need to know. Through one family we get to tell the story of many families and bring cameras into a intimate part of their lives."

Through both humorous and startling scenes, Rademacher revealed how he prepared physically and mentally to take on the risky task of capturing an authentic view of war, in-country rebuilding and the relationship between American troops and the Iraqi Army.

"Even before I secured producing partners and before I secured things financially I had to mentally come to terms that I might not make it back and potentially lose my life," he said.

"CSI: New York" and "Forrest Gump" star Gary Sinise also helped produce the film. Sinise was recently awarded with the Presidential Citizens Medal for exemplary service and support to U.S. troops.

"He really stepped up to become executive producer and is physically coming to some of the openings," Rademacher said. "He's been working really hard about getting the word out and telling them this is one they've been waiting for."

"Brothers at War" has received positive reviews so far, earning the G.I. Film Festival's best documentary award and the Solstice Film Festival grand jury prize. But Rademacher said the biggest prize he has earned is the "thank you" he receives from veterans and their families for capturing an intimate part of the American family.

"I can't wait for wives to see it. Military wives feel very empowered and you understand more what is going on and what the family is going through," Rademacher said. "It really represents them and lot of times husbands say, ‘I had no idea what the women were going through.'"

Rademacher said that the remarkable experience of filming "Brothers at War" is a gift back to all the men and women who have given themselves to protect America.

"It's been about four and a half years to get to this point," he said, "but it's now their film; it's not mine."

Contact Aniesa Holmes at 910-219-8453 or aholmes@freedomenc.com.

WANT TO GO? "Brothers at War" is rated R for language and a brief war image. The documentary opens Friday at Carmike 16 Cinema in Jacksonville. Showtimes are 1:45, 4:30, 7 and 9:40 p.m. Tickets for "Brothers at War" can be purchased at the box office, or by visiting www.brothersatwarmovie.com. To see additional show times, visit www.carmike.com. For more information about the film, visit www.brothersatwarmovie.com.

Ellie