thedrifter
03-10-09, 07:48 AM
Brockton Marine home from Iraq visits brother’s school

By Elaine Allegrini
ENTERPRISE STAFF WRITER
Posted Mar 10, 2009 @ 02:28 AM
Last update Mar 10, 2009 @ 02:45 AM
BROCKTON —

Holding flags and singing the Marine Corps’ hymn, fifth-graders at the Mary E. Baker School welcomed a hero, Lance Cpl. Eddie Brown.

“I want the children to know our heroes — police, firemen and servicemen,” said Principal Donna Haymes. “I want them to know that every time they walk out the door to serve, they put their life on the line.”

Brown recently returned from a 7-month deployment to Iraq, where he worked on an air base. Even though he was not in combat, he was required to carry a gun.

And, he carried forth the motto of the school and of the late Mary E. Baker, said Haymes.

“I can and I will make a difference,” is the motto. And, Baker did. It is the first city school named after a woman and a minority.

So, too, is Brown making a difference as he serves and protects.

“I’m proud of him,” said James Cokley, 10, Brown’s younger brother and a fifth-grader at the school. James was there waving a flag and singing. And, he was there when Brown showed pictures of the work he did in Iraq and the tour he took of nearby Qatar.

For Brown, it was good to be home. He graduated from Brockton High School in 2007 and to know that he wasn’t going back to Iraq, but to Arizona, where he will be stationed.

In Iraq, the troops were limited in where they could go and what they could do.

Brown worked on an airfield, guarding the safety of the aircraft flying in and out and of the military passengers on those planes. He had one complaint.

“I didn’t like the heat,” he said. But in general, he said, “I had fun.”

He visited Qatar, seeing the wealth of the country, the beauty of the buildings and the desert sands.

Now, as he heads back to duty, Brown looks forward to completing the two years left on his four-year tour of duty. After that, he isn’t sure yet if he’ll remain in the Marines, but he knows that a whole community is proud of him.

Elaine Allegrini can be reached at eallegrini@enterprisenews.com.

Video

http://www.enterprisenews.com/news/x238204297/Marine-visits-students-at-Brockton-school

Ellie