PDA

View Full Version : Real Housewives help Injured Marine Fund

thedrifter
03-10-09, 07:26 AM
Monday, March 9, 2009
Real Housewives help Injured Marine Fund
Cox Communications golf tournament raises money for injured troops.
By MARK EADES
The Orange County Register

COTO DE CAZA - Marines invaded the Coto de Caza Golf & Racquet Club today for the Cox Communications Community Golf Tournament.

The tournament sold out, with 255 golfers teeing it up to raise funds for the Injured Marine Semper Fi Fund, including Master Sgt. Davey Lind, who lost both his legs at the knees.

"Through the support of the fund, my wife had the ability to leave her job at a moment's notice," said Lind.

Lind was one of several injured and un-injured Marines taking part in the tournament.

Several cast members from "The Real Housewives of Orange County"came by to support the troops, too.

"I want to know if my top is Marine regulation," said Jeana Keough,who was dressed in a green blouse and black pants.

Gunnery Sgt. Brian Stirrat conducted an inspection of two of the Real Housewives, Keough and Tammy Knickerbocker,on the tee.

"You ladies barely qualify as real housewives, much less Marines," said Stirrat during his inspection, eliciting a laugh.

Two Marine helicopters flew overthe course and landed on the driving range during the opening ceremonies.

"It's great to see this tournament sell out in spite of the economy," said Duffy Leone, vice president and general manager of Cox Orange County.

Cox's non-profit foundation Cox Caresstaged the tournament, and is donating proceeds to the Marine Fund.

Contact the writer: meades@ocregister.com or 949-454-7352

Video

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/tournament-marine-cox-2329546-real-marines

Ellie