PDA

View Full Version : BHS grad makes music for Marines

thedrifter
03-10-09, 06:34 AM
BHS grad makes music for Marines
By: ADAM NORTHAM, DAILY LEADER Staff Writer March 09,

Helmet? Check. Assault rifle? Check. Euphonium? Check.

Not all members of the United States Marine Corps have a musical brass instrument included in their load out checklist, but for Brookhaven's Sgt. James Williams, 21, the horn is near the top.

The recently promoted leatherneck from Brookhaven High School's Class of 2005 just transferred closer to home - to Naval Support Activity, New Orleans - where he is now a member of his second service band, the Marine Forces Reserve Band. As a member of the band of musically talented Marines, Williams is constantly performing at events across the country, from on-base ceremonies to parades through the Big Apple.

Williams said the Marine Corps' bands are like no other. There is no room for error; there is only perfection.

"The Marines are very disciplined, and good at what they do," Williams said. "We're professionals - we come right out of high school if we're good enough and immediately start building a career. Being in the Marine Corp band is what I always wanted to do."

The BHS Panther Band member enlisted right out of high school and auditioned for the Marine Corps Band. After passing the initial musical test, he was off to Paris Island, S.C., for one of man's grittiest tests - the Marine Corps' 12-week boot camp, where he endured the cold, wallowed in the mud and was certified a marksman, just like every Marine the corps has ever produced.

Upon completion of boot camp, Williams next took combat training courses, further sharpening his killer instinct as a prerequisite to sharpening his musical ability. The last obstacle he had to face was the Armed Forces School of Music in Norfolk, Va., where all the military's musicians are put to the test.

There was an audition to get into the school, and audition to check progress at the halfway point and an audition to graduate. For an up-and-coming Marine musician, such constant auditioning before superior officers was imposing.

"They like to make sure they have the best musicians for the job," Williams said. "It was a little stressful - you want to make sure you have the best pieces (of music) prepared. You have to practice, know your music forward and backward, and do the best you can do."

Williams' auditions consisted of his playing a prepared piece of music, sight-reading - playing a never-before-seen piece on the fly with little preparation - and performing scales. For his last audition, Williams chose Mozart, scoring a 2.9 out of a possible 4.0, besting the 2.7 score required for graduation from the school.

Only one military musician has scored a perfect 4.0 since 2000, Williams said.

Upon graduation, Williams was posted to Marine Corps Air Station Cherry Point in North Carolina, where he joined the 2nd Marine Aircraft Wing Band as a lance corporal in July 2006. There he was introduced to the consistency of performing - he participated in a myriad of requested concerts, recruiting performances in schools and large events like the Columbus Day Parade in New York City. He was featured as a soloist in three performances, and has even served as conductor on a few occasions.

"A lot more is expected of you as a musician," Williams said. "You can't forget to practice. You have to be ready to perform at all times. You go from high school, where you're learning and practicing, to the corps, where you're constantly performing."

Williams said he hopes to apply for the job of enlisted conductor upon his next promotion. He is also taking steps to prepare for his career beyond the corps, whenever that may come. While in North Carolina, he took online classes from Craven Community College, and this spring will enroll in online classes from Louisiana State University. He hopes to one day become a college professor of music.

In the meantime, Williams will be on call to perform whenever the corps demands, but he hopes to break the cycle of domestic performances with a trip to Iraq or Afghanistan.

"The band does deploy, and I would like to deploy," he said. "It's like being a fireman and never going to a fire. I would like to do my part, too."

Deployment is a scary thought for Williams' wife, Tabbitha - his high school sweetheart and two-time drum major at BHS - but one the corps has equipped her to handle.

"I like the sense of family you get with the Marine Corps," she said. "Everyone looks out for each other. I'm very proud to be part of the tradition, even if it's just from a supportive role."

The Marine's grandmother, Jackie Williams, swells with pride at seeing her grandson sporting his Marine Corps Dress Blues.

"It scared me at first, but oh gosh, it was a good opportunity for him to pursue his music and serve his country," she said.

All three Williamses are thankful that their Marine is now stationed in New Orleans, only two hours from Brookhaven. It gives Williams a chance to visit his hometown and keep in contact with his musical mentors, like BHS Assistant Band Director Gail Freeman, former director Zachary Harris and former Brookhaven Academy director Cecil Trantham.

"I learned a lot from those individuals about music and the auditioning process," Williams said. "It's a little different being in a professional performing organization, but it helped me for what was to come."

Williams could even perform in Brookhaven. Municipalities and organizations can request a visit from Marine Corps bands by contacting the bandmaster. The band may be requested online at Marine Forces Reserve Band's Web site at http://www.mfr.usmc.mil/MFRHQ/Band/schedule.asp.

Ellie