PDA

View Full Version : Date of PFT?

Kurokawa
03-09-09, 08:43 PM
I've currently searched everywhere online and on this site and haven't found an answer.

When does one take the PFT? Is it the day you sign the contract?

I'm planning on doing DEP, so I can pay back some loans first, will I have some time after entering DEP before taking the test or no? I'm already getting myself ready for it, but I'd like to know an exact point so that I can make my decision for when to enter DEP so that I can get the highest score I can.

Marine84
03-09-09, 10:44 PM
You will take many PFT's the whole time you're in. Just be prepared either way. Once you're in the fleet, you may not have to take one but every 6 months or so, the rest of the time is up to YOU to prepare yourself. You won't have a DI on your heals telling you that you had better move it.

0231Marine
03-10-09, 07:26 AM
You'll run the IST within a few days of getting to bootcamp which consists of pull ups, sit ups and a 1.5 mile run. About 1/2 through bootcamp, you'll run an inventory PFT to see where everyone stands and that will be the same as the IST except the run is now 3 miles. At the end of bootcamp, you'll run the final PFT for score. Once you get to your MOS school, expect to run a PFT at the beginning to see where everyone is at and then one at the end for score. Then once you get to the fleet, expect to run one when you get to your first command for score. Then they are supposed to be ran quarterly (Every 3 months) but most commands run them every 6 months like Marine84 said because of deployments and training that will interfere. You're on your own after bootcamp to make sure that you're ready for your next PFT. You'll usually get a heads up about a month out saying you'll be running one in the coming weeks so make sure you're doing your pull ups and running on your own time.

Kurokawa
03-10-09, 01:44 PM
Thanks for the answer.

I've started on all of that, although with my height I haven't been able to find a suitable pull-up bar where I live, but I'm still looking.

Ace151Slayer
03-10-09, 04:15 PM
You run a buncha PFT's but only 3 are pass or fail, 1 in the beginning, one in the middle, and one in the end.

Whats wrong with your height and a pull up bar? Im not trackin? The guys who were like 6'7 and the guys who were 5'4 used the same bars at bootcamp.

If you mean you cant find one in general, buy the one that hangs in doorframes, for like 20$ at any sporting goods store. Im picking one up this week if I get approved for RA and end up staying home for a few extra weeks before mct.

Kurokawa
03-10-09, 05:09 PM
You run a buncha PFT's but only 3 are pass or fail, 1 in the beginning, one in the middle, and one in the end.

Whats wrong with your height and a pull up bar? Im not trackin? The guys who were like 6'7 and the guys who were 5'4 used the same bars at bootcamp.

If you mean you cant find one in general, buy the one that hangs in doorframes, for like 20$ at any sporting goods store. Im picking one up this week if I get approved for RA and end up staying home for a few extra weeks before mct.

That's the problem, none of the door-frames are high enough where I am, I'm 6'4" and I clear doorways with only 4" to spare. I need to find a bar system that's free-standing that's high enough that I can dead-hang and still be off the ground.

0231Marine
03-11-09, 06:37 AM
Mount the bar and cross your legs behind you.

Improvise, Adapt, Overcome!

immaproshooter
03-11-09, 12:11 PM
ya we had a really tall Mother ****3r in my platoon at boot he'd barely extend his arms at all grab the bar, lower himself DOWN until his arms were locked out and then hed have to pick his feet up and cross his ankles behind him and had to make sure at no point in time his feet ever touched or theyd make him get off the bar

immaproshooter
03-11-09, 12:12 PM
that or find a tall tree branch

Kurokawa
03-11-09, 05:40 PM
It's always the obvious solutions that are the best.

I feel like a idiot civilian now.

immaproshooter
03-11-09, 07:20 PM
well that is why you are here, all poolees are nasty civilians until they graduate Boot, but they get a lil bit better usually as time goes on

jungholee90
03-11-09, 08:11 PM
Where I'm at right now we take PFT every week. Only few of them are actually for scores though.