PDA

View Full Version : Deploying very soon...

CJ Haynes
03-09-09, 06:15 PM
Hey fellow Devil Dogs! I am at my first duty station at Camp Lejeune, and already to work in the chow halls (I'm Food Service :P ). My unit, 2/8, is indeed deploying sometimes this summer, either May or June, from what we have been told.
For me, I have two feelings. One, I am very proud to be counted among those Marines to go and fight the war, since I have been wanting to go help in the war since I joined the Corps. But on the other hand, I'm nervous as to what will happen to us over there.
My question is, is there anyone here who has been to Afghanistan who has anything they would like to share, as far as general knowledge, things I should know when I get there, things I should/should not do, etc?
I really appreciate it, and pray for us when we deploy in a few months. Ooh rah!

Oh, on another note, Ive been working out and my PT is getting much better! Oooh rah! :D

HurricaneRJ
03-09-09, 09:58 PM
I don't care right now. I'm on duty and there bout to be a 1/8 - 2/8 brawl right now.

Were leaving this week to the middle east. Going to be a skate deployment from what were told. Just be safe, wish I was in your shoes going to the fight.

Semper Fi' see yah when you get back

thedrifter
03-10-09, 05:44 AM
You will be in my Prayers and Thoughts Marines!

Ellie

GSEMarine94
03-10-09, 08:07 AM
My little bother was in A-stan with the 82nd about a year ago, Bagram air base. Let me know of any partu=icular questions you may have and I'll ask him. Stay safe brother, and Semper Fi

Achped
03-10-09, 10:26 AM
Marine, whoa, why are you so moto? You're a fleet Marine now. Tone it down a notch or you'll end up getting hazed.

The old coots in here don't like hearing stuff like that but they know damn well when they were in they hated life too, but I guess if you don't hate it yet you just need to give it a little more time.

Anyways, deploying sucks.

KawiGunny
03-10-09, 10:37 AM
Marine, whoa, why are you so moto? You're a fleet Marine now. Tone it down a notch or you'll end up getting hazed.

The old coots in here don't like hearing stuff like that but they know damn well when they were in they hated life too, but I guess if you don't hate it yet you just need to give it a little more time.

Why don't you let him form his own opinion with time instead of you trying to influence him with your attitude? I spent over 20 yrs in, as an 03, and did more deplyments than you have time in service. I didn't hate any of them. Yes it sucked being away from my family but that was a sacrifice I had to make and would do it again in a heartbeat. Just because you hate life on deplyments doesn't mean everyone else should to. It's all what you make of it.

CJ.... I did a tour over there. It is like anything else in our Corps........ do what you are told to do and never forget your training. You will do just fine. Stay MOTO. Good luck to you brother. :beer:

61Marine
03-10-09, 05:40 PM
Hey CJ, I was unlucky enough to be selected to go with the CE of 2d MEB, so I'll be there with you (Let's just say that MEF isn't the best place for a PFC out of MOS school to go to). Wish I was down there with the 03's dropping some arty.

But such is life and you don't always get put places you should go. Stay safe over there; I'll be the eye in the sky, making sure the rocket goes where it's supposed to.

Phantom Blooper
03-10-09, 06:19 PM
1/8 headed to Iraq

March 10, 2009 - 6:08 PM
DAILY NEWS STAFF (localdesk@freedomenc.com)

<!-- Video goes here -->1st Battalion, 8th Marine Regiment will begin its deployment to Iraq this week. About 300 service members are scheduled to leave Camp Lejeune tonight.
The battalion of about 1,000 Marines and sailors will deploy to Anbar province to provide security for designated combat bases in Iraq, according to a press release from 2nd Marine Division.

Godspeed,fair winds and following seas Marines! Stay motivated and follow the Marines that have went before you!:evilgrin:

<!-- googleoff: index -->

JohnEaceHunt
03-10-09, 07:33 PM
I had posted on this site yesterday asking for Prayers for my Son who is deploying this Friday to Afghanistan, and it was deleted along with another one saying what his job was. Thanks a lot. I still ask for prayers for him.Thank you very much.

61Marine
03-10-09, 07:39 PM
Ours probably will too, JohnEaceHunt. OPSEC reasons, more than likely.

HurricaneRJ
03-10-09, 08:01 PM
1/8 headed to Iraq

March 10, 2009 - 6:08 PM
DAILY NEWS STAFF (localdesk@freedomenc.com)

<!-- Video goes here -->1st Battalion, 8th Marine Regiment will begin its deployment to Iraq this week. About 300 service members are scheduled to leave Camp Lejeune tonight.
The battalion of about 1,000 Marines and sailors will deploy to Anbar province to provide security for designated combat bases in Iraq, according to a press release from 2nd Marine Division.

Godspeed,fair winds and following seas Marines! Stay motivated and follow the Marines that have went before you!:evilgrin:

<!-- googleoff: index -->

Yep it's true, the advance party already left. I won't go into detail which bases are in our AO but we got a huge resposiblity. It isn't the mission we few asked for. But none the less it must be done, the caliber the mission is essential that we don't get complacent, but I can tell you that this won't be a deployment of hardship, the living conditions are those to die for. Maybe my next deployment will be to the battlefield of Afghanistan.

Semper Fi' SSgt,

HurricaneRJ
03-10-09, 08:05 PM

Pay him no mind. We are all Marines, but grunts treat other Marines differently. I learned the hard way:devious:. Hazing is fading in the Marine Corps. Stay motivated CJ, do your job, and everything will be fine. Just don't be a dumb-ass or ****bag or you will really hate life.

CJ Haynes
03-12-09, 02:46 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll do my best when I get over there.

But on another and somewhat related subject, Ive been working on my PT and weight (I had to drop a few pounds). Everything is going good with that, but I went out for personal PT the other day and I always start with pullups before I go running. I went to the pullups bars right outside our barracks (HP 115, by the way). The pull up bars out there are very high, and I'm a pretty short guy. Even with the little step booster thing, I still had to stretch my arms to get up there! On those bars, I can get MAYBE one pull up or so. On the smaller bars that aren't so insanely high, I can get at least 4. The reason I am bringing this up is because we have a PFT next month (I think) and I don't wanna get screwed on my score and what not. I dont want them to think of me as a s**tbag. I am doing my best here in the Corps. Anyways, I just wanted to ask if anyone here thinks that I can get my pull ups evaluated at another pull up bar (one of the smaller ones; and not just me, but other guys that are short)?
Sorry if I have rambled on. I just don't want to fail this because a freakin bar was high.

jetdawgg
03-12-09, 04:30 PM
Good luck Marine. You are in our prayers here. Don't worry about things you can't control:usmc:

As for the pullups, use your knees and thighs to help pump your arms. Get into a groove and you will be fine. Practice that a few times before your PFT:flag:

jungholee90
03-17-09, 06:56 PM
Stay safe, man. I'm still stuck in school and it's hard seeing all my buddies already deploying and stuff. Godspeed and Semper Fi.