PDA

View Full Version : New Lenox Marine caught off guard by surprise gathering

thedrifter
03-09-09, 10:11 AM
New Lenox Marine caught off guard by surprise gathering

March 9, 2009

BY JASON FREEMAN Staff Writer

Family, friends and well-wishers gathered Sunday afternoon at the New Lenox Veterans of Foreign Wars post to welcome home Marine Cpl. Carlos Mariscal during a surprise party organized by Soldiers Guardian Angels.

The party began as Mariscal walked into the VFW to the sounds of rambunctious applause and calls of support.

"My first thoughts were, 'Oh my God. No way,' " he said. "I couldn't believe it. I was told we were going to take pictures."

After standing at attention for the national anthem and the Pledge of Allegiance, Mariscal took the podium and thanked everyone for coming out.

Mariscal, a mechanic in the Marines' CLR17 COMM unit, is in the middle of serving his third tour of duty.

His deployments have included Fallujah, Al Assad, Iraq and most recently Al Taqaddum.

"I was providing power to our company, and then I would support whoever was going out with power generators and air conditioners and stuff like that," he said.

Mariscal attended Lincoln-Way Central High School and was in the school's ROTC program before deciding to enlist in the Marines immediately after graduating in 2005.

"College wasn't for me at the time," he said. "I needed more discipline and motivation and drive.

"Now I think I can be a more successful adult having had the experiences I've had."

Mariscal's father, also named Carlos, said it was good to see his son again.

"I'm so glad that he's home and he's alive," he said. "The fact that we've got so many more that are still out there, it's bittersweet. I'm thankful he's home, but I'll be more thankful when everybody is home."

Jason Freeman can be reached at jfreeman@southtownstar.comor (708) 802-8808.

Ellie